Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a super important topic, but I am curious: how do you that have spouses/significant others/families decide whose turn it is to take the dogs out?

My husband and I don't agree. He came up with the plan that he would be responsible for the morning shift, and me the afternoon/evening shift. Here's my issue: the dogs don't even get up from bed until 6:30-7 am, and my husband leaves for work at 8:30. So, he basically is responsible for maybe 2 hours. On the other hand, I am home by 4, so I have a 7 hour shift, depending on how late we go to bed. Granted, I don't have to take them out that often, but, the last few days Harpers had icky poops from eating something gross while we were camping, so....yeah...

I know, it's not a big deal, kind of silly, in fact. But, we are newly married and this is one of the few things we don't agree on......

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
<----male, currently single, never had a relationship that really involved my dog.
From a guy's perspective. Do you go to work too? If so, that's really the only bargaining chip a guy can use so it should be in your favor. Newly married, I would think it should still be easy to get him to do what you want. Train him well before bad habits set in :p

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Sorry, I really don't mean to sound rude, but this really reminds me of when I was a kid and my siblings and I would fight over whose turn it was to do the dishes. You are both grown ups, and married. Tell hubbie....if the dogs need to go out, it is BOTH of your responsibilities! :biggrin1:

Train him well before bad habits set in
Zhaor is giving you wonderful advice...heed him!

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Honestly, as a married mother of 2 -

Whoever is closest to the door takes the dogs out. I refuse to get caught up in a rotation or arguing about it. We agreed -and discussed, at length- what having dogs, as a family, was going to mean. That meant EVERYONE was going to supervise, EVERYONE was going to clean up, and EVERYONE was going to take them out, darn it. Now, this is easier for us since we have a fenced in backyard, so 'taking them out' amounts to 'open door, stand and watch' for potty breaks (as opposed to walk), but the rule actually would be the same, regardless. We all complain about it, sometimes - okay, not the walking, but the 5 a.m puppy potty trips, and being up to supervise early on weekend mornings, and their real walks.

I think, had we not agreed upon this, I would have not had dogs. THat sounds pretty harsh, and I AM a stay at home mom, which means I have them the vast majority of the day (kids are in school - I'm still home because the youngest is autistic and that is its own job), and I Do most of the training and grooming, but uh. I didn't decide to get dogs by myself. Everyone here wanted dogs. Everyone is going to buck up and deal with the less fun parts.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
During the week, I'm responsible for early morning and early afternoon/evening; my husband takes late morning and late evening. With our work schedules, we're not usually home and awake at the same time for more than an hour or two. On the weekends, I take early morning and my husband takes late evening; in between, it's who ever is home and less busy. Fortunately, our potty responsibilities is one thing we both seem to agree on. Now if we could just agree on everything else :)

Oh, from someone who's been married over 20 years, take Zhaor's advice ;)

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Doesn't anybody have a doggie door? Life is sooooooo easy!
We seriously considered it, and occasionally still do, but the bottom line? I will prop my backdoor open (now) for housetraining, but ultimately I need to know if the dogs are out. Leaving them out there unsupervised scares me. It's a fence. It can be dug under, climbed over, or have a structural problem. I want to know that <i>before</i> I see them tearing around the neighborhood. Also, cats and wild life can and do climb in. I'd like to know about THAT before I hear screaming, too.

Not criticizing you for having one, but I'd rather be keeping an eye on my dogs while they're out there.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Pretty sure a doggie door would cause me more hassle than it fixed for me. They would track the mud I carefully wipe off when I let them out myself all over the house. Probably get into the trash if their was anything 'good' in there. I don't want him out there unsupervised and possibly barking to annoy the neighbors.

It's really not that much of an issues to let them out. OP I don't have the same struggles as I live with my brother not a SO and the dog is mine. He does help out a good bit but when it comes down to it, my dog my job.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Sorry, I really don't mean to sound rude, but this really reminds me of when I was a kid and my siblings and I would fight over whose turn it was to do the dishes. You are both grown ups, and married. Tell hubbie....if the dogs need to go out, it is BOTH of your responsibilities! :biggrin1:
Then settle it rock paper scissors. I'm serious - I did this at work last week over who had to change the printer paper. It's ridiculous, but that actually makes it even better because it puts everyone in a good mood right afterwards.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I have a dog door . . . and live on an acreage . . . and right now I have a couple extra with me so 24 wet and muddy paws came running in (I forgot to close the door off as I left) through the mud room and into my kitchen/dining area this morning. Joy!

OP, I've never had this struggle as when dogs were in my life as a young married person they came in from both myself and my OH and it really was a matter of 'who is the handiest and doing the least right now'. We've always had a yard as well and a great amount of our time with the dogs is spent out on our acreage, sometimes peacably hanging about the deck, and sometimes playing fetch etc., and other times doing yard work while they meander and sniff for squirrels and mice.

I have been at home now a couple of years, and I am the one that insists on packs of dogs here, so that responsibility has now shifted to me almost full time . . . unless I ask for a hand. I love it though.

SOB

·
Registered
111 Posts
Pretty much whoever is available does the walking. Mostly I'm the one who functions on a normal schedule, while my husband works crazy and unpredictable shifts, so in order to keep the dogs on a reasonable routine, I end up doing most of the regular feeding and walking. However, if we're both around then he'll help out, and obviously if I'm not home and he is then he takes over.

I agree though that you guys are definitely going to need to learn to find a way to share that feels acceptable to both of you. Making those plans and compromises early on in the marriage is important!

·
Registered
147 Posts
My husband walks Hitch for 15 minutes in the morning and feeds in the morning. I sometimes do it for him on weekend mornings, because I enjoy walking and feeding Hitch. I usually walk Hitch for 1-2 hours and feed at night, sometimes my husband will do it if I am very sick or ask him to for some other reason. Sometimes we walk him togeather. For quick pee breaks I usually will ask my husband to take him out, sometimes I take him out if I want to. Usually my husband will do things if I ask.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
For us its simple, despite the fact that I live in a household with many people (none of whom I am dating or married to) the dog is mine and therefore my responsibility. My shift is 24 hours and thats fine. In your situation (where you have an expectation of a partner) I would want to split up walks, one person in the morning and one in the evening but beyond that... and if you're the only one home in the afternoon then is there really a choice?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Yep we have one, best thing we ever installed (not married or even in a relationship btw).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Keep it simple. The person home when he needs to go out... takes them out. :)

If you're both home, and its super early, the person who gets up first does it. Same thing at night. Take them out when you get home.

You may also want to readjust their "schedule" to your combined married one. Good lcuk!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I say if you're both home, then whoever's not on the can, in the shower or cooking has to take them out. Unless there's some crisis that demands your attention now and it can't wait, just trot to the door, let them go then come back in. 10 minutes isn't that big a deal.

It's just my mother and I, but we don't grapple about it. I take the dogs out, always. Every so often so will let the chihuahua out, but he usually comes when called and she only does this is it's very late/early.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Its always my turn... and Im 100% okay with it!
My wife loves our dog and enjoys its company..but she always refers to it as "Your Dog"
"Your Dog wants to go out...Your Dog needs a bath..dont forget to take your dog to the vet today..etc etc,)

I thought Roxx.. was "Our Dog"...??.

Somehow every dog we get...becomes my dog.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I'm mostly responsible for everything relating to the dogs, since it is really my choice to have them. Don't get me wrong, my husband loves them, but if it weren't for me he wouldn't have dogs on his own. So I do almost all the "chores" by choice... the exceptions being most Saturday and Sunday mornings when he lets me sleep in, if I am at work and he is home, or if I am out of town without him/them.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts