Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im curious what others' opinions are of a situation in my area.

Male dog brought into the shelter as a stray. No ID tag, no rabies tag, no microchip. Hes held for the mandatory 7 day stray hold and then goes up for adoption. He's up for adoption for a week before he's adopted. The day he's due to leave with his new family his original owner shows up to claim him after 2 weeks without calling/stopping by the shelter.

Stray hold is 7 days here. Dogs are legally required to have their rabies tag attached to their collar anytime they're off the owners property.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I saw the people who adopted him should get him. family had two weeks to check the shelter. When my dogs went missing 20 minutes of them missing I reported it too AC, and the Police station. Told them all markings on them, what collars they have, if chipped or not, if friendly or not, and what area they were last seen in. Most may not tell as much as I do but why didn't they call and ask? Report there missing dog?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Wow! That is an ugly situation. :(

Interestingly enough ... I know Eddee had his tags on ... and was in the shelter twice in one month. The owners ... even though they stated they no longer wanted him ... had to sign him off before he was "legally" able to be adopted. Eddee (then "Freddy") was long past the holding period .... but because there were tags on him .... it all changed.

He sat in the shelter for almost two weeks ... because the owners did not show up to sign him off. The Shelter Warden had to go to the owners home to have Eddee signed over to them ... so I could adopt him. State Law. What would they have done if he was never signed over and I did not want to adopt him?

There are so many legalities ... hard telling? If it were up to me ... I would say it was the new adopters dog. The owner was past the 7 day stray hold. If they were so concerned you would think they would have come looking for the dog as soon as the dog was missing! Unbelievable some people! :(

I know here ... there are large fines to get your dog out of the shelter.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I'm not sure how the laws would apply in your area. Legally I would say he was held for the 7 days required and he was adopted, goes to the new family. On the other hand, a 7 day hold really isn't all that long. Was he found far from his home? What took the owners so long to come find him?

We had a similar situation at work. We pull from animal control, and pulled a guy that I can recall being on Petfinder about three weeks, and the legal hold is 7 days. We pulled him and after being at our shelter for roughly a week a woman called and claimed the dog was hers and was.. not really nice about it. She didn't fight all that hard after she was informed he is HW+ so he stays with us.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should probably have added that this is a small town by most opinions. 11,500 people and just under 7 square miles.

I was feeling a bit heartless with thinking basically "Too bad, so sad. Should have been there way before 2 weeks...". I just cant wrap my mind around waiting that long to look at the only shelter within 30 miles. Since Ive been able to reunite dogs with their owners using the non emergency PD line, they'd get a call too. Minutes...not days and certainly not weeks.

It is an ugly situation that likely will earn the shelter some bad press. The dog went home with his adopter. No details were posted on why the original owner waited 2 weeks to even notify the shelter.

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
I would say that if the original owner can prove they made an effort to find the dog as soon as they knew he was missing, and his rabies was up-to-date even if not on a collar, then he should be returned.

as examples...
Owner was out of town and dog was with a sitter who just wasn't all that great. Maybe not telling owner till they came home.
Owner was from another town and searched there.
Owner DID in fact look at that shelter but for some reason the dog and owner weren't connected (unfortunately happens in my city's shelter as breed descriptions can be very very off)

Dogs break collars. Tags come off. While microchipping is great, it is not mandatory. If the owner can prove he/she was searching for the dog and can show photos or similar to prove ownership plus vet records to prove rabies vaccine, then I think ethically (even if not legally) the dog should go back to the original owner.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Both Aleu and Diesel went missing once. Within 10 minutes of searching, when I couldn't find them nearby, I immediately called the shelter and gave them a nittygritty description of my dogs. I included height, weight, breeds, temperament, color, markings EXACTLY, any scars and the color collars they were wearing. Of course I found both my butt-turds within the day, but if they'd ended up at the shelter, there would've been no denying they were mine.

I don't understand not calling the shelter, not going to check.

If the owner had some valid excuse as to why they didn't check that shelter (such as what Shell listed) then I'd understand, but if not, then I chalk that up as sorriness and too bad so sad situation.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
If he was still at the shelter I would send him home with the original owner. Not legally required, but it's nice to be able to get your dog back. There's no mention of neglect and we don't know why it took so long. I know if I was adopting a dog and the owner showed up, I wouldn't proceed with the adoption, because I would feel pretty bad if someone did that to me.

If the dog had already gone home with the new owners, then too bad, they keep him.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Adopters to me if the shelter was within the same town. How interested are you if it takes you 2 weeks to call around?

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Years ago, my husbands dog was sitting outside his mother's store. He went out and she had disappeared. She never wandered so he asked around and nobody he talked to had seen her. We phoned the pound and put up notices. Later that day he was talking to someone and they said they had seen the pound man around that time.

We had already phoned the pound, told them she was a small black and tan dog that looked like a Shepherd. (she was actually German Shepherd x Coyote). We drove down to the Pound and asked if they had picked her up and they said no. Just then from the back we heard her distinctive howl/bark. She must have heard my husband's voice. My husband marched in past the desk and sure enough there she was. The guy on the desk stammered away that whoever had picked her up must not have booked her in. Needless to say we took her hom and did not pay any impound fee.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Hard situation. One part of me says the owner, as long as he pays the adoption fee (since it was well over the 7 day hold) but the other part says "too bad so sad".

·
Registered
496 Posts
I couldn't stand to be in that situation. I do understand if something happened he had no control over, I.E the whole pet sitter thing and was out of town, collars do come off things like that. But at the same time, I feel that, He had a total pretty much of 2 weeks to find his dog, and if that was the only shelter with in 30 miles I would of been calling darn near ( if it was my girls) at least 2 times a day since they get animals all through out the day, i would even be going to the shelter to check. If no luck id be calling the next "nearest" and local vets. Out here animal control of all the neighboring cities urge people if their dogs go missing to call every shelter and vets, all of them out here let you bring in flyers to post the vets, animal controls and pet stores and they say to put on their names, breed, color, marking, collar color, where last seen and when,scars and anything else that can help identify the dog. I feel honestly the adopters should get the dog. Such a hard situation but I guess I cant wrap my head around for 2 weeks the dog was at the shelter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts