Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I don't know of any links, but that's not completely true. What people are saying is that dogs won't connect the two if the correction is late, as in a time delay between the action and the correction. I don't think there's any issues with a second or 2 late, but if a person corrects the dog 5, or 10, or 15 seconds after, they won't connect the 2. Any corrections must be at the time of the improper or bad behavior. Like they say, timing is everything.

For example, if you see the dog peeing on the floor, now's the time to correct by getting his attention and taking him outside. But if you walk in the room and the dog is walking out and you see a puddle, it's not the correct time to correct. Just clean it up, as it's too late and the dog will most likely not connect the 2.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Now a days, we know not to correct a dog after it's done wrong, as it won't make the connection. Do you know who came up with it? Link?
Just common sense to me. It's just how it is with dogs and easy to realize on your own if your observant.

Though some dogs can and do make the connection hours later if they know a behavior is bad..

I've had dogs that when I came home I knew they did something bad hours earlier, because of their behavior. They knew it too, and then I had to go find what they had done and at least acknowledge it just to reinforce them knowing it was bad. Usually it was something easy like an accident, or getting into something.

But when I came home and they smiled and wiggled an appeasement dance instead of the normal happy to see me dance I knew something was up.

Bad part was sometimes I couldn't figure out what it actually was that they had done.. ;) I kinda had to fake it at those times.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't have any links and I am not sure what types of sources you are looking for (as a nursing student I am used to having to read through peer reviewed professional journals for sources.... but don't know if you need that type of source), but I would look into Positive Punishment and Operant Conditioning for dogs. You may find some sources there for your paper.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Bear: Mostly, anyhting that explains it in more than a 2-3 sentance blip. While it's not ten-pages-five-hundered- resources serious, it does need a bit to it.

@Dogstar: Thank, I'll check that out.

It's funny, this is sounding almost like the dominance theory: Bits that just get passed on from person to person, with noone know why or where it really come from.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
sorry, i'm still not convinced that they don't make the connection....maybe as a young pup (just like a real young child, being scolded for the 1st/2nd time wouldn't connect) but once they are taught (and i mean 1 or 2 times of catching them in the act) something is a "bad" thing, i think they connect it just fine....i still think it's our own "animals can't think/have emotions/learn behaviors like a person...heaven forbid if they are even somewhat intelligent enuff" that gets in the way...many times i have come home from somewhere and have my dogs (after having done something wrong) will let me know, even something that is not the same thing as what they have been taught but maybe in the same "ballpark"....

JMO

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perhaps. Then again, you have borders, they're genuises. :D

Besides, even if they can make the connection, it's far better for dogs if people DON'T blow up upon returning and finding a mess.

·
Banned
894 Posts
Many people I know still believe their dogs display guilt even hours after the "crime" is committed. No amount of reasoning can convince them otherwise.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ugg, my moms like that.

Me: *picks up pooper scooper*
Fry: *Gives a "Am I in trouble" look*
Mom: Alright, where is the hole?

Of course, by now, there is no hole. Ht poope scooper means my mom follow me and makes sure I get all the poop (I have poop blinders, she seems to step in it all the time. it's not a good combo.) When she was a pup, we would also find Fry's various holes. Whiel I manged to stop Mom from doing much, Fry still hates me picking up the scooper, even though she's stopped digging.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Sorry I can't find a link for you, I searched and searched:(. But you can tell everyone about this forums and maybe pull it up on a smart board (if for what ever you are doing this for has one) and show them that all of us dog people think it's true. Well, know it's true.:D

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Perhaps. Then again, you have borders, they're genuises. :D

Besides, even if they can make the connection, it's far better for dogs if people DON'T blow up upon returning and finding a mess.

oh, i don't blow up....i just simply say to the guilty party "yeah, i see what you did....you know that's naughty...you ought to be ashamed of yourself..." and the only one that ever acts guilty is the one that did it....my Lacey would even "tell" on the others (stare at the guilty party)...she was such a narc...:D

Many people I know still believe their dogs display guilt even hours after the "crime" is committed. No amount of reasoning can convince them otherwise.
nope, there is no convincing me otherwise....i know what i see and am not afraid to admit that dogs have the intelligence to learn that something is a "wrong" behavior and show so when they screw up.....and i haven't always had Border Collies....my mutt dog, my GSD, even my Husky, learned the same thing (altho, my Husky had a "yeah, i did it...so what you wanna do about it? i don't give a s#@! if you don't like it, you left me" attitude)...

and, like i said, i don't "blow up" at them when i come home to something, just like i didn't "punish" my kids for something they did 3 days b/4 (talked to them, yeah, punish them, no)....but they do get a "you know you screwed up, don't do it again" lecture and when i leave them again, i will show them the something and tell them not to do it again....you know what? it generally works when they grow up a bit (about 6 mo on)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts