Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine adopted this dog from the local animal shelter. His name is Victor. I've watched Victor a number of times while his owner was away - he is a wonderful, sweet and gentle dog. I call him "crazy beast" because, despite his calm appearance, he has lots of energy and loves to get excited.

Anyway, I am curious if anyone can tell me what kind of mix he is. I suspect he's part Australian Shepherd, but I can't tell what else.

More pictures at http://avalys.s3.amazonaws.com/Victor/index.html

·
Registered
123 Posts
I see herding breed and husky. That tail makes me think husky otherwise I would have said he was border collie or Australian Shepherd that gave him those baby blues. He's gorgeous. I really don't see Akita in his face. Though anything is possible.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I see no Siberian at all in him. I could see the Akita or some other northern breed. He's took big looking (at least in the pictures). I can see Akita in the tail/ a little in the face (tail is too curly for a Siberian/Face is boxy?[Siberian's are sleek/foxlike]) His coat looks almost lab like to me. Could just be a mix of multiple dogs with Husky in there somewhere. But he doesn't look at all Husky too me.

He's very handsome nonetheless :)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I don't see any herder or husky in him at all. There are many breeds that can have blue eyes other than aussies and huskies. His head is too boxy for those mixes I think. I do see some type of northern breed in him because of his tail, a standing picture of him would help. He's likely a mix of several breeds, I'm not seeing anything really standing out to me.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Alaskan Husky? He kinda/sorta makes me think of the Pumpkin Pie litter. He's a handsome boy for sure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow handsome dog!!

Just because a dog has blue eyes does not mean it an Australian Shepherd. (Also, for example, merle color is also not
exclusive to the Australian Shepherd. There are merle Dachshunds and Pomerians ect.)
As For Blue eyes:
In some cases the blue eye gene is associated with the coat colour being entirely or partly white which this dog exhibits. Extreme white spotting or white colour prevailing on the head, especially with a lack of colour around the eyes, can also result into a dog having blue eyes. If the white head markings are assymetrical, a dog may have a blue eye on the side of the head with the most white, and a brown eye on the colored side of the head. Dog breeds that are likely to have blue eyes because they are extremely white spotted are Dalmatians, Collies, Shetland Sheepdogs, harlequin Great Danes, dapple coloured Dachshunds and Australian Cattle Dogs ("Blue Heelers").
In the Siberian Husky and Australian Shepherd, the blue eye gene is independent of coat colour, which means any Husky or Australian Shepherd can have blue eyes regardless of its coat color and white markings.
It is important to add that the blue eye colouring is a recessive gene existing in almost all breeds. In other words, any dog can have blue eyes regardless of its breed and coat color.
Also, this dog has a short coat, a dominant gene. So one parent or grandparent ect, was a short coated breed.
http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/coatType.h

It is interesting to look at dog genetics and unlock canine ancestry.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I have no real clue......but he is beautiful! :) If I were to make a guess......it would be some sort of Collie (Herding) mix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the comments. I had wondered if he might be a Siberian Husky mix, but I couldn't figure out where he got the coat. I thought maybe there was an obvious mix I was missing, but I guess not.

Someday his owner will have his DNA tested. I'll post the results.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
It turns out he is a pit bull / husky mix.
Cool, how did they find out? Did they find his parents' owners or is that from a DNA test?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts