Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Alpha = the person who's responsible for training the dog which behaviors are the most rewarding. So you tell me...how much have you shown your dog which behaviors are the most rewarding?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do I delete this post lol?

There are soooooo many articles about being the pack leader but I've never done that before. I've always just done commands and treated them, played with them etc. It's all a bit new to me. I always thought that being the Alpha that the other dogs sometimes attack it to become alpha themselves and I don't want that :S

I just want to do right by our Toby and make him happy, he deserves that :)

·
Super Moderator
11,835 Posts
Why do you want to delete your post?

I think you've been listening to all the wrong people. Domestic dogs are not wolves.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm confused basically lol
All this alpha stuff is nee to me. In the past I've just trained with treats and love etc but now everyone says humans should be the alpha.

·
Super Moderator
11,835 Posts
If you insist on somebody being the alpha then, yes, it should be you.

So the question is, how do you get there? If someone tells you you get to be the alpha by going through the doorway first, eating first or (gasp!) pinning your dog on his back, run away very fast and don't look back. Bullying a dog doesn't make you an alpha. It makes you a chump.

Training with treats and love seems like a pretty good start, actually.

I still don't understand why you want your post deleted. Internet forums work with threads. Cut the thread and the whole thing falls apart.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Look your dog in the eye, and say "Don't you know who I am? I'm Rick James!" (/sarcasm)
(seriously, unless you really know your dog, don't stare them in the eye)

I used to buy into the Alpha stuff too, but it leads to you doing silly things like pretending to sample kibble before feeding or "claiming" space & items you actually don't care about. Before you know it, you're on all fours lightly biting the back of your dog's neck because the internet told you mouthing is a dominant behavior. Let me tell you, dog fur is not tasty.

Realistically, I just look for my dog to be "compliant" for lack of a better phrase. At some point you should know if they see you as their person. Also, after you spend enough time with them and have certain experiences they are likely to put up with your antics and listen to you. For me and Spirit I saw greater "compliance" after 3 dashounds cornered us and I spent the better part of 5 minutes blocking their advances. I presume that for normal dog people it happens once your dog associates you with most of the good things in their life.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
IMO ... Once your dog begins to follow commands and follow you everywhere you go ... and pays close attention to your every move ... he knows who his mentor is. :)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
How do I delete this post lol?

There are soooooo many articles about being the pack leader but I've never done that before. I've always just done commands and treated them, played with them etc. It's all a bit new to me. I always thought that being the Alpha that the other dogs sometimes attack it to become alpha themselves and I don't want that :S

I just want to do right by our Toby and make him happy, he deserves that :)
I see you did manage to delete the post, and I just got home, so no idea what it said. However, the fact that in animals where there is a strong dominant animal, that animal IS having to deal with everyone in the group who thinks they might want to move up in status. Another very good reason to not try to act like a dog. Because people who do generally don't look that cool to dogs but more like wannabes and bullies. We don't have the correct body, the delicate timing and the very subtle physical communication that dogs naturally have. And generally we don't want the same things from our dogs that other dogs would anyway.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I'm confused basically lol
All this alpha stuff is nee to me. In the past I've just trained with treats and love etc but now everyone says humans should be the alpha.
Did this training method work for you? Why change what works?

Besides, the alpha/dominance theory plays on intimidation and can actually ruin your dog. Do you really want your dog to fear you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you :D
You're right, why change what works :)

As I've said, all this alpha business is all new to me. I don't want my dog to fear me etc. I would NEVER pin Toby to the floor either :( I read about the alpha role.
And to be honest, this 'don't show emotion and cry' stuff would never work lol, I cry over everything hahaa

There are so many trainers out there that go on about this alpha stuff and so you end up believing its the right way etc. I need help with his dog aggression and recall so looked for training classes and this is what I got.

I want Toby to be happy, he deserves that.

I wanted it deleted because I realise I don't want this alpha stuff :) and so the post didn't really matter.

Basically it said that Toby follows me everywhere, he heels, paws, I act like a tree and stand still when he jumps etc etc etc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts