Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now we're having an issue with my brother's nearly 3 year old Rotweiller Male. We've had him neutered, but he's quite a pain. He's chewed up several remote controls, ripped things up, (such as destroying a couch once) barks quite loudly and has scratched up doors. My mother has almost worn out our rug cleaning machine cleaning up his messes.

I've spoken to my brother about it and he says the reason the dog isn't behaving properly is that everyone in the house isn't training him the right way. And that he does listen to him, but not us. Actually, he doesn't do that either, and again my brother says that the reason is that WE aren't training him the right way.

Is this really true, or is it somewhat of a stall tactic on his part? Do you think everyone in the house is responsible to train the dog, or does the responsibility lie with the owner? So, he's saying that in order for him to be properly trained, everyone must train him the right way. This does seem somewhat unfair as we didn't ask for the dog and now have the burden of training him. Usually when the dog is trained by one person is that enough. Seems by his logic, everyone who meets the dog will have to spend days or weeks, just so the dog won't jump on him and bite them. Then hiring someone to train your dog would be pointless, as he would be only trained for the trainer.

He’s even told us not to punish the dog, or even raise our voice to him. Isn’t punishment necessary in order to STOP him from doing things. Sure, it’s nice if he gets off the couch when you tell him, but you want him not to do it in the first place. He won’t even let us get a bark off, or a noise emitting bark collar.

We've had two other dogs, Our black Labrador Dalmation mix of 13 died in January of 2009. We also have a Siberian Husky female, that's about 5 years old (she was around when the lab was alive) I don't recall really ever having to train them. The Rotweiller did spend a few nights total in a dog training class when we first got him at 8 weeks. My mom wants to send him back to school, but if what my brother says is true since everyone will have to train him right and the right way, that this won't be enough. My brother has used some pretty lame excuses before, such as when I ask him to stop spitting out our car window (after the third time) he says “I have a sour taste in my mouth” He’s also made excuses that it wasn’t actually his fault after his license has been suspended, or revoked a few times for quite a few violations each time, I don’t think they were all because of a strict traffic cop.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
To be fair to the dog, everyone should be on the same page. If you aren't on the same page, the dog should be kennelled, crated, or confined to a room when the "owner" or person responsible for him is not around.

It isn't the dog's fault.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Whoever wants the dog trained is responsible for training him.

And, no, punishment is not necessary. Training is necessary. Punishment is not training.

·
Registered
792 Posts

And, no, punishment is not necessary. Training is necessary. Punishment is not training.
This.

I'll also add that if your brother is teaching the dog one thing and treating him a certain way, and everyone else isn't following his example then the dog will be confused by what's allowed/what he should do.
I can give a real life example. We had a family dog, who was everyone's, who had become a terrible beggar. He was also a little overweight. Everybody complained about how much he weighed, and how they couldn't sit through a meal without the dog staring/barking/scratching at them. I showed them how we could correct these problems (stop giving him table scraps, for starters, and ignore him whenever he starts begging) but they didn't want to put the effort and self-discipline into it. So while he stopped begging as much while I was eating, the behavior (and the weight) could never be completely remedied, because the rest of the family was not following the same training.

If you want to help, we've got a lot of information here about barking and housebreaking. Maybe send your brother here as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

What is the difference? Usually punishment comes in the form of a penalty. Well, this guy at least advocates the use of a prong collar, or shock collar.

http://www.5min.com/Video/Dog-Training---Teaching-Your-Dog-to-Stop-Barking-145442187

You have to in some way some a message to let the dog know what he's doing is unacceptable don't you?

Is it possible to stop a dog from barking? He says that the only way is to stop him when he is barking, but not prevent it. Specifically, he barks when he sees the UPS truck, a car, people, or the other dog across the street barking outside on the cul-de-sac we live on. I somewhat agree that maybe it isn't. I think that a muzzle would cruel because it would probably drive the dog nuts if he can't release his tension, just like people I think dogs need to as well. I figure if he was more used to it, and it wasn't so rare (it isn't really so rare now, but to the point it was more common) he wouldn't bark so often. I thought of maybe playing a tape recording of a dog barking to kind of get him used to it, to tell him no when he barks. The other things, I can't specifically cue so the trigger will happen and get him used to it, it just happens when it does, since I never know when people, cars, the other dog, or the UPS truck will be outside.

About chewing on things, I thought maybe of trying to teach him it's only ok to chew on a specific toy we give him, and anything else not to. So he knows it ok to chew on the toy but not other things. Of course, there's his food he would need to chew on. My mother pretty much ignores him when he's in the room, on the furniture, or even when she accidentally lets him in when she makes an exit in the wall of chairs we have blocking off the family room. I think she figures, not my dog, not my problem, and she generally tries to avoid her problems and pretend she doesn't have any (that a whole other story in itself)

He is a very friendly dog, and he always wants to greet (and jump on) people. He's never the kind of dog who wants to chase/bark someone out of his territory, very welcoming. He goes absolutely nuts when we have a party and have lots of people over

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Teach him WHAT to do, not what NOT to do. Dog proof the home. Keep stuff put away where dog can't get to it. If he gets something he shouldn't have, give him something he is allowed to have. Keep him tethered to someone, and take out frequently, and tell him "go potty" and praise/give high value treats like hot dog pieces when he goes. Keep him crated if you can't supervise. Keep a leash on him, to keep him off furniture. teach him "go to bed" to teach him to go to his crate/mat when you are going to have company over.
EXERCISE HIM. Walk him briskly twice a day for about 40 min. Do about 15 min a day training to tire him out mentally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Teach him WHAT to do, not what NOT to do. Dog proof the home. Keep stuff put away where dog can't get to it. If he gets something he shouldn't have, give him something he is allowed to have. Keep him tethered to someone, and take out frequently, and tell him "go potty" and praise/give high value treats like hot dog pieces when he goes. Keep him crated if you can't supervise. Keep a leash on him, to keep him off furniture. teach him "go to bed" to teach him to go to his crate/mat when you are going to have company over.
EXERCISE HIM. Walk him briskly twice a day for about 40 min. Do about 15 min a day training to tire him out mentally.
And HOW, do I teach him not to bark by doing something? It is something I don't want him to do, to get him to stop barking, it is something I want him not to do, there's no way I can teach him not to do something by doing something.

·
Registered
792 Posts
And HOW, do I teach him not to bark by doing something? It is something I don't want him to do, to get him to stop barking, it is something I want him not to do, there's no way I can teach him not to do something by doing something.
How about instead of teaching him NOT to bark, teach him to be quiet instead? Whenever he's barking, wait for him to be quiet, even for a split second, and give him a treat. Repeat. So instead of punishing him for barking, you are rewarding him for being quiet. Eventually he'll get that quiet=treats, and you can apply a cue to it, like "quiet" or "enough". You might teach him to bark on command before you teach him "quiet" by treating and giving the cue "speak" or "bark". Of course for both of these you would eventually fade out the treats.

Shock collars and prong collars can be effective but only when used properly. Unfortunately, most people don't know how to use these properly. When used improperly they can make things much worse, and the dog may only display the desired behavior when the collar is on. By using positive methods, you can get the behavior you're looking for without hurting/scaring the dog and you don't have to worry about the dog becomig "collar smart".

·
Super Moderator
11,840 Posts
We've had him neutered, but he's quite a pain.
I don't know where people have gotten the idea that you can expect a dog to become mellow and trained just by chopping his nuts off. It seems to be a very common myth.

I have my dogs spayed and neutered so they don't reproduce. That's it.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I don't know where people have gotten the idea that you can expect a dog to become mellow and trained just by chopping his nuts off. It seems to be a very common myth.
So that doesn't work, huh? My husband will be greatly relieved as I was considering something similar to mellow and train him. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,840 Posts
So that doesn't work, huh? My husband will be greatly relieved as I was considering something similar to mellow and train him. :)
I would think the threat would be much more effective than the actual procedure.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
You have to in some way some a message to let the dog know what he's doing is unacceptable don't you?
It's much more important to send the message to let the dog know what IS acceptable. Otherwise you are just temporarily surpresssing behavior (unless you are really severe) then you may permanently surpress one behavior that will crop up in another form because you haven't addressed the underlying problem (dog is destructive from lack of mental stimulation and exercise, for instance.) I would say it is the brother's main responsibility to train the dog and care for the dog, but if other household members treat the dog and situation very differently, the dog will be confused by the lack of consistency, and may also learn who's worth listening to and who is not. I also suspect this (like many dog problems) is more an issue of family dynamics and conflicts than it is about the dog.

·
Banned
964 Posts
My brother has used some pretty lame excuses before, such as when I ask him to stop spitting out our car window (after the third time) he says “I have a sour taste in my mouth” He’s also made excuses that it wasn’t actually his fault after his license has been suspended, or revoked a few times for quite a few violations each time, I don’t think they were all because of a strict traffic cop.
Im not sure that this makes any sense...
Perhaps you could clarify..

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Your brother should train him and show you how he wants you to train his dog so everyone trains the dog the same way, otherwise the dog will get confused, and yes i think you should all do this so he will listen to you all if and when he needs to.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well makes sense to me, the brother to say the very least lacks ambition to care for a dog in a proper way as he appears to have trouble taking care of himself.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
If the dog is our brother's the bulk of the training responsibility lies with him but for that training to be effective everyone else who lives in the house and interacts with the dog has to respect and enforce the training your brother is doing. The best way to stop a dog from jumping up on people to greet them is to ignore them until they have all four feet on the ground. If he does this eventually the dog will stop jumping up on HIM, if others in the house give him attention (negative or positive) for jumping on them he's going to keep doing it to them. Dogs don't generalize well so he'll learn not to jump on your brother but it won't cross over to everyone else because they are still rewarding him for that behavior. The same applies to most behaviors trained, the dog will either only apply the training with one person or become confused at the mixed messages from everyone else in the house and not learn anything at all.

So yes, it's your brothers job to train the dog but it's your families job to support that training if you want to live with a trained dog.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
It's your brother's job to train him to behave properly, and with good doggy manners. BUT, for that to "stick" everyone in the household has to know what the desired behavior is, and what to do to help/support.

For instance, if you don't want him to jump, everyone has to be on the same page with what to do when the dog tries to jump. That way, the message the dog receives when he tries to jump is consistent. If one person yells and one person pushes him down, it's not going to work. It's very easy to say to guests, "please ignore the dog and turn your back on him if he jumps at you, we're working on training him."

As for barking: it's a very normal, natural thing. A dog may even consider it part of his "job" to alert the humans that something/someone is outside (like the UPS guy). We usually let our dogs bark a couple times, and then we give them the "quiet" command. Of course, we've taught what we expect when we say "quiet", and they are usually pretty good. But, you can't just say "quiet!" and expect him to be quiet if you haven't taught him what that means.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My point with him spitting out the car window, and making excuses for his driving record, was that he has a tendency not to take responsibility and make excuses for his behavior, which make me think that when he says "everyone needs to train the dog" it's just another example of it. But, what the feedback I've got in this thread it does look like the boy who cried Wolf is telling the truth in this case.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts