Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Vaccinates their own dogs/cats?

What can everyone tell me? The good and the bad. Who recommends it and why, and who doesn't recommend it and why?

I'm working with a new co-worker who has worked as a vet-tech; We got on the topic of vaccines, as she does all of hers herself, and she recommended it I do it.

So I'm just looking to see who has done it and what I should know before I even consider it.

::Edit:: Let me add she recommended that my boyfriend administer the vaccines. He's an EMT, so he's given shots, drawn blood and all that.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I give all my dogs their shots and have had no problems , however , I do not give the version with Lepto as one of my dogs had a reaction to it a long time ago. Plus our area is very low risk for lepto. In our state a Vet has to give the rabies Vac. I give all general health care stuff and try to be smart enough to know when to use our Vet.

If you have a vet-tech friend/co-worker , ask them to show you and boyfriend the proper way to give dogs shots and always be vigilant and watch for any reaction as you would with any med. I give shots early on a day when Vet is open so if needed there would be no problem , and so far this has worked well with no problems. I use the 5 in 1 shots.

It is always smart to ask questions and be informed...

Best , oldhounddog

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Well I'm glad to know I'm not getting slammed coming right out of the gate insinuating I'm not taking my dog to the vet. :p lol!

My boyfriend has asked me questions regarding how/where to give the shot which I've asked her, and I told my boyfriend (and her), that if we're just not comfortable doing it we'll shoot her a few bucks and have her do it! ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am a nurse and would certainly never vaccinate my own dog/cat. I can watch for reactions in people and respond appropriately. My dog is a whole different story. I do not have the equipment to save my dog if an allergic reaction happens. I understand wanting to save money but I could not live with myself if something were to happen to my pet because of my poor decision. Injections are not just about knowing where to stick a needle.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I don't think there's harm in vaccinating your own dog. However, you want to be sure you know the source you're getting your vaccines from..if they're not kept refrigerated properly, they're not effective. Last year we had a run of parvo pups who had been vaccinated with vaccines bought from a local store.

Also, some boarding places will only accept vet given vaccines as proper records, so that's something to look into if you board

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't vaccinate my own dog yet though I plan to some day. I know where I can get the vaccinations and heartworm stuff though so I buy that and have my vet administer it to save money (well, my dog isn't on heartworm yet, but yeah). I don't see anything wrong with it. A lot of people I know do it, and I have administered vaccines to my cats in the past (the vet showed me how to do it because I had to do them 3 weeks apart and another visit seemed pointless).

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I do a lot of my own. I was a vet tech, now a paramedic. Administration is different since its sub q. You do need to tent the skin up (different than human sub q injections) and he careful not to poke through the other side. Most people have benadryl handy in case of a reaction, given right away then a vet trip.

It's no big deal once done several times. As someone mentioned, the most important thing is to be sure the vaccines are.kept at the appropriate temperature and purchased from a well reputable source.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I do a lot of my own. I was a vet tech, now a paramedic. Administration is different since its sub q. You do need to tent the skin up (different than human sub q injections) and he careful not to poke through the other side. Most people have benadryl handy in case of a reaction, given right away then a vet trip.

It's no big deal once done several times. As someone mentioned, the most important thing is to be sure the vaccines are.kept at the appropriate temperature and purchased from a well reputable source.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have been giving my own vacines for years and never had a problem. Rabies you do have to take them in for so you have documentation . Just keep good records of what and when you gave a vacine. I keep a shot record book for each animal and save labels so I always know EXACTLY what they were given and when .

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
We vaccinated Shambles ourselves (not rabies, obviously) with no issues. I vaccinate dogs from time to time at the shelter and really once you do it it's pretty easy to get a hang of. My biggest initial hang up was stabbing a dog with a needle, that went away after most dogs don't care, heh. The shots come with labels for your records, so it's fairly easy to keep.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
A monkey could probably learn how to physically give a vaccine, it's not technically challenging. You just need to be alert for reactions (which you would if someone else vaccinated them anyway) and depending on where you live a rabies vaccine might not be legally recognized unless given by a licensed vet (which is an important consideration). The real value of the vet visit isn't vaccines, but the exam.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone for your responses!

Where are some good places to go to look at vaccines?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Your vet clinic, county cooperative, or tractor supply, animal health stores. I worry about the mail order ones, as vaccines must be kept a certain temperature. I'm sure many are fine though.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Thank you everyone for your responses!

Where are some good places to go to look at vaccines?
I buy them at the local feed store . I just did all my animals boosters last month and the vacines were just over 10.00 each including the syringe. With 6 pets ,3 dogs and 3 cats, I save alot of money that can be spent on other things and they still see the vet once a year to get thier rabies.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I give all of my dogs their distemper/7-way vaccine myself (rabies is done by the vet obviously). I get them from our local feed store and they cost about 6 dollars a piece.
My mom does the distemper for the cats too and we get them from the same place.

It definitely saves a lot of money which can be put away for emergency vet visits, dog food, etc. :)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I'm not a fan of frequent vaccinating of adult animals at all, especially for cats. And I figure that puppies and kittens (and new pets) ought to see the vet a few times anyway, might as well have the vet do the vaccines then. So I would vaccinate them myself if I vaccinated frequently. . .but I don't :p.

If I lived out in the country and had farm cats, I'd buy rabies vaccine and administer that myself. The legal issue probably isn't going to come up for them, and there's no way I'd live with unvaccinated animals running around my property. I'd probably trap the raccoons and skunks and vaccinate them, too :D.

·
Banned
122 Posts
i would definitely have a vet do it. their vaccines are probably shipped safer and stored prorperly. and if the dog has an immediate reaction, youre at the vet anyways.

buuuttt, i dont vaccinate winston. its for the same reasons i dont vaccinate my baby girl. i disagree with the nasty ingredients [with aluminum levels-a neurotoxin and heavy metal, much like mercury-up to 9 times the epa recommended amount, and up to amounts 9 times higher than is even allowed in *any* other injectable], i dont think vaccines are effective-particularly the bordatella for dogs and pertussis for humans, and i disagree with how they are administered. when a bacteria or virus [dead or alive] is injected, its not natural. the natural route would be through the nose or mouth, from a superficial scrape, etc. exposure to foreign bugs deep inside the body sets off a huge, urgent immune response, which is what scientists want out of vaccines. but when that response is repeated so often like with the vaccine schedule, it trains the immune system to build up that kind of response while the more important response, the one that takes care of bacteria BEFORE they would naturally enter the blood, is put on the back burner.

if anyone has any questions or is interested in some resources whether on feline, canid, or human vaccinations, feel free to private message me.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
i would definitely have a vet do it. their vaccines are probably shipped safer and stored prorperly. and if the dog has an immediate reaction, youre at the vet anyways.

buuuttt, i dont vaccinate winston. its for the same reasons i dont vaccinate my baby girl. i disagree with the nasty ingredients [with aluminum levels-a neurotoxin and heavy metal, much like mercury-up to 9 times the epa recommended amount, and up to amounts 9 times higher than is even allowed in *any* other injectable], i dont think vaccines are effective-particularly the bordatella for dogs and pertussis for humans, and i disagree with how they are administered. when a bacteria or virus [dead or alive] is injected, its not natural. the natural route would be through the nose or mouth, from a superficial scrape, etc. exposure to foreign bugs deep inside the body sets off a huge, urgent immune response, which is what scientists want out of vaccines. but when that response is repeated so often like with the vaccine schedule, it trains the immune system to build up that kind of response while the more important response, the one that takes care of bacteria BEFORE they would naturally enter the blood, is put on the back burner.

if anyone has any questions or is interested in some resources whether on feline, canid, or human vaccinations, feel free to private message me.
If you don't vaccinate EVER (even through the puppy series) I would not suggest asking people to ask you for advice on that.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
My mom vaccinates her pets herself. I take mine to the vet. I'm just not comfortable doing that, but I might do them myself after I complete my vet tech degree.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts

....Oh.

+ for TWAB.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts