Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I see a dog product advertised I fall in love and then look and it's always ridiculously expensive either because it's a premium HQ product or because it's made in a separate country usually the US (I'm in the uk) and there's usually only one supplier.

Just found the Tethertugs and they're £65.99 here in the UK and about the same in dollars.. I wanted both the indoor and outdoor ones to try but obviously £130 is just too much at the minute so I went for the indoor variety because winter is coming!

Also love the "Great white north" coat from Chilly dog and again has only one importer and over £100..

The most I've spent is on a Tuffie dog bed though £180 for a bed (like $350) but it has lasted forever when other beds haven't so that was worth it. I could literally spend thousands on bed, Love "cave beds" (went through two of those LOL) and my cave bed importer just designed her own version which basically a dog bed with a duvet sewn on to make a cave, looks so comfy!

Dogs are so expensive but I can't help myself, there's just so much to get!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I'm cheap and a bargain hunter so I can't say I've spent big on too many items, but looking at his bag I would be to surprised if I've spent close to $1000 on dog toys $5-10 at at time over last 4 years... He destroys a lot of toys and if can't destroy it he typically looses interest.
I do focus on quality and spend more for things like leashes, collars, coats, and dog beds.

I also want a cave bed now.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Yup I have expensive taste... I usually try to buy all the stuff on sale.

I have the Buddy Belt, which I bought at Woofstock (overstock items) for $20 (retail price for his size is like $50+), and I have a Bowser Bed which I got for free (when I used to work at a pet boutique, it's $70 retail). I also have a Chilly Dogs coat (got it on sale, discontinued colour, for $30 when it retails for $50+) and all sorts of other things...

But yeah I'm really good at buying things at a bargain lol. I know my price doesn't seem like a lot, but keep in mind Meeko is 7 lbs. If he were larger I would be spending $90+ on most things lol.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I would be spending a lot more money on my dogs if it wasn't for my husband. He always asks "but do you really *need* it?" and I usually have to admit that I don't and hubby doesn't spend any money on stuff for himself unless I make him, so then I feel bad for wanting to spend so much money.

But it's all good, my dogs have accumulated a lot of toys, leashes, collars, and harnesses over the years, so most of the time these days I don't get tempted as much as I used to.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I must be just like you-- go to the pet store here and just can't come out under $200 they always have things I want. They seem to sell good HQ products I have a harness that my 11 year old has had since turning one it is that well made. If I remember it was pricy at the time around $60-75 but it has been more then worth it. They also carry several natural line of treats that are 10 a pound which is really a good price for the product. I also like the Kong sweet potato chews and they are one of the few places that sells them even they are $20 plus for a pack. I guess it is also that I buy 3 of everything so that everyone has their own toy so no fights.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I am way past the pet store! Nearly everything my dogs have is mail order and some stuff is custom made for them. Every once in a while a great deal comes my way as in the $40 Ruffwear Approach backpack I got from Sierra Trading Post but it was countered by one that was $60 on sale.

I do make up things for them before buying. I made the first back pack and a bought one is well worth it for details and materials cost, I made my first dog bed, found materials around the house but it sure was hard to make, worth it to buy them. Just made a limited slip collar long line of paracord which seems too light for me and I will want something nicer if I stay with nosework and my first waist leash was made heavy for larger dogs, the weight and large hardware are irritating me with my 11-15 pound dogs. Both those will have to be custom made as far as I know.

Once I find something that works I keep it to the end though. ID tags are keep forever unless info changes. Apparently I am at critical mass for beds and don't want any more, only have 4 for 2 dogs. I have a 16 year old leash I adore.

Fortunately my longer haired dogs don't look good with decorative flat collars so that temptation is gone. Weather here means coats and such are silly although I knitted Ginger an adorable reflective yarn sweater last year and might do the same for Bucky. Gotta torture them equally!

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
I'll pay the cost for quality, but don't like to spend extra for unused quality. I bought Shep expensive food, but it was too rich for his 'gutter water' stomach :) I have a very nice 12 - 18" leather street leash that I carry if needed, but I use a cloth 6 foot leash that I got free from Purina 15 years ago when I take Shep out in public areas.

... And, I buy the cheapest poop bags that I can find.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
"Buy once cry once" is my motto! I would rather spend a bit more money for a quality product than continuing to have to replace lesser quality items over and over. Of course, I'm not opposed to a good bargain, and I try to buy things on sale whenever possible, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet to get a good product that will last through years of abuse.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I like to buy nice quality items so I don't mind spending a fair amount on certain times but I don't buy new stuff just to buy new stuff. Jubel still has the same leash I bought him when I brought him home over 5 years ago. Well I did buy a new leash a few years ago but didn't like the feel so back to the old plain leash. He's on his second collar, still in great shape and don't see any reason to buy a new one.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Until my sons get it right after all the practicing their doing, and give
me human grandchildren, my dogs are it. I think the most expensive
thing I've bought for them is their custom built log cabins. Just so they
could be in shade while I'm working in the garden. Minimal grumbling
from hubby when he found out he had drive truck and trailer
to another province to pick them up. He got over it. lol

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Expensive taste - yeah, I have it. :)

I agree with the quality vs quantity; I'd much rather pay for one item that will last than for multiple of the same item. I don't buy too much for them; I'd rather spend money on classes and other fun things to do with them.

Last month I paid for our training center membership (~$450) and agility class for Katie (~$200 - that's the member's fee - yikes!). On Monday we have an appointment with a vet behaviorist for Tyson: at least $550. In the past we've gone to dog camp - $1200 for camp, not including travel or lodging. In October I want to go to a Control Unleashed seminar - ~$200.

Dogs are expensive. :)

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Ugh YES, I'm so bad lol. I buy wayyyy too much stuff. I tend to justify it through sales, coupons, gift certfs etc so I manage to "save" but a lot of them are unnecessary items as it is lol. But the way I look at it is I don't really buy a ton for myself... some people buy tons of shoes or purses or whatever. I buy dog stuff LOL. I do end up using it all in one way or another. I used to always buy cheap things and balk at some of the prices of certain products but after those cheap products often failed me, it was worth it to me in the end to just spend the extra money and buy a really quality product that will last.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I would be spending a lot more money on my dogs if it wasn't for my husband. He always asks "but do you really *need* it?" and I usually have to admit that I don't and hubby doesn't spend any money on stuff for himself unless I make him, so then I feel bad for wanting to spend so much money.

But it's all good, my dogs have accumulated a lot of toys, leashes, collars, and harnesses over the years, so most of the time these days I don't get tempted as much as I used to.
I do this to MYSELF. I'm my own nagging reality check. Haha
I usually prowl around pet stores and whatnot and pick stuff up or read the labels of certain things and get excited and then rethink it like... is this absolutely NECESSARY. I'm also a cheapskate so if there's something I could potentially see putting on a Christmas list or birthday list, I wait.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Yes my dogs need backpacks to carry water.
Yes my dogs need sporty harnesses for everyday wear.
Yes my dogs need cute fabric vest harnesses for special occasions.
Yes my dogs need custom tag collars for tags because they use harnesses for walking.
Yes my dogs need both clip and limited slip leashes because walks and grooming and baths need different equipment.
Yes my dogs need hundreds of dollars in grooming equipment because somewhere out there is the ultimate product that will stop dog hair from coating me and my house.

·
Registered
462 Posts
It depends up on the product. I washed one of the dogs the other day and found a small bottle of shampoo that I don't remember buying (I normally buy a big bottle of something cheap). I loved it but when I read the price tag of $12 for a dinky bottle I said no way. Leather goods however, I find you get what you pay for. I don't mind spending a bit on a nice soft collar or lead. I can't stand stiff poor quality leads.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
For me it also depends.

Generally I always try to get things on sale or on some sort of discount. Cat food specifically I try to never buy full price.

But the same as others, I'll pay more for quality when I feel it's worth it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts