Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious who feeds homemade food for their dogs, and a couple of questions about their food:
What is in their food?
What kind of dog do you have and how much does you dog weigh?
How much do you feed your dog (and how you fuigure out how much to feed)?
What is the ratio of meat/organs to grains to veggies/fruits (etc.)?
Do you add any supplements/vitamens to your dog's meal (if so, what?)?

I am new at the homemade food thing and was just wondering how some of you make you dog food. I would ask my vet these questions but she wanted me to stick with a commercial dog food like science diet and didn't offer much help cause she didn't approve of my choice to switch her.

Right now I am still feeding her a about 40% dog food (eagle pack holistic brand, cause I am not sure if she is getting enough vitamens and stuff) and 60% homemade. In Sadie's homemade food is beef, chicken, liver, barley, brown rice, oatmeal, broccilli, carrots, green beans, little bit of celery, and spinch (I chop all the veggies finely).
Sadie is a bichon poodle and weighs about 11 lbs (my vet says she is over weight so I am decreasing her foos a bit and increasing exercise, is a half an hour walk a day ok?)
I feed her about a cup of food in the morning and a cup at night (the cup inculdes both homemade and dog food).
Her homemade is about 40% meat (5% liver included in that), 30% grains, and 30% veggies.
For supplements I give her about 1/8 tsp of ground egg shell, a multi-vitamen, a temporary probiotic supplement, and Udo's for dogs.

I hope her diet is ok, do you know if I might be able to take her off the dog food? I am open to criticism/change, just please put it nicely. Im looking forward to here about your recipes and such.
Thanks ahead of time for your replies (sorry for any spelling mistakes).

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I feed 15.5 year old Sassy home cooked food. It is a special diet low in phosphorus as she has kidney disease. I weigh her food so I know exactly how much I am feeding her and make up a recipe on nutritiondata.com so I know exactly what is in the food. I have a copy of Monica Segal's book 'Optimal Nutrition' with the most up to date nutrient recommendations and have added zinc and iron to her diet because it is difficult to give her enough of those with the phosphorus limitation she has. She gets 7 ounces of animal based food, 4 ounces of veggies and about 7 ounces of cooked rice to fill in calories mostly.

An older list of nutrients is at this site.http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?isbn=0309034965&page=44 Do the calculations and compare to what you are feeding. You can even put some of the supplements you feed in as custom foods using nutritiondata. Use the nutrient search to find sources for nutrients the diet is low on. Can you tell I love this site? It sounds to me like you are doing just fine with the variety of things but maybe cut down the non meat foods a bit. It does sound like an awful lot of food as well. I feed my dogs at least 1 gram protein per pound body weight and about 20 calories per pound ideal body weight. So Sassy gets at least 40 grams of protein and 800 calories a day for her 40 pounds. Maybe as a weight loss system go for only 20 calories per pound ideal dog weight until your dog is slimmed down. The amount of food Sassy gets varies from 16 to 22 ounces daily just depending on how much water I happen to put into the food, I really recommend buying a digital scale to measure accurately.

Dogs need Omega 3 to balance the Omega 6 in the grain fed meat so either find a source for grass fed or add in canned or fresh oily salt water fish like salmon, sardines or mackerel. Or buy fish oil or fish oil capsules and squirt it on the food. Real fish tastes nice but would smell strange mixed in your nice food. Maybe as a snack? Sassy gets capsules squirted into her daily supplements as dessert. Canned or fresh green tripe plus fish oil. Gag for the human, yum for the dog!

The easiest way to cook it is to sizzle the meat so it smells good but isn't cooked otherwise, add the starch and too much water plus the ground up veggies and simmer for about 10 minutes, then turn the heat off and let sit until the food absorbs most of the water. I like doing that so the meat can flavor the starch and one pan! Sassy doesn't mind eating soup rather than stew, extra water is good for the dog! Roasting whole chicken, boning and chopping the meat and skin in the food processor and storing in recipe sized packets in the freezer works well. I save the unseasoned pan drippings, cook the starch and veggies with a couple of ice cubes of the drippings in the water and add in defrosted chopped chicken if chicken is the meat on offer. Roasting the chicken is a lot of work but once the chicken is in the freezer less work for a while! I cook four days of food at a time and heat up the meal by mixing with hot water. Sassy doesn't drink water so I get it into her by feeding soup. You can microwave the meal or heat on the stove or oven if you prefer.

Sassy loves the foods you are using already plus pork, lamb, turkey, egg, pasta, banana, potato, sweet potato and pumpkin. No onions or grapes but most other human foods are great. Before trying one out check the internet and your nutrient chart to see if it is dangerous, over the top on something or just not worth feeding. The only canned dog food I have ever bought is canned green tripe, it counts as a dessert and is mixed with the bits of iron, zinc, fish oil and joint supplement plus her medications. Don't mix with the other food or heat up and open feed and close the can up outside at first but your dog would love it if you included it in the diet. I buy plain green tripe not the complete food type. I keep all but the eggshell separate from her food as some are icky tasting and kidney dogs can lose appetite and then blame whatever they ate when they felt ill so I want nasty tasting stuff in extras I don't need to feed if that makes any sense.

I must change foods slowly with Sassy. Your probiotic sounds like a great idea! Once a food is well accepted keep it in the diet fairly often so it stays accepted.

I think your diet is better than most kibbles and I suspect your dog feels the same way. Using the NRC is a helpful crutch though. Variety of foods and watching that calcium is the main thing.

Also see http://www.b-naturals.com/index.php?main_page=newsletters and http://www.dogaware.com/ for really terrific info on feeding dogs real food. Monica Segal sends out newsletters that are well worth reading as well. http://monicasegal.com/aboutus/newsletter.php

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
That sounds like a lot of food and very little exercise for your dog. My 12 pound-er gets 3.6 oz per day, divided into two meals. I feed prey model raw diet so my ingredients are a bit different than yours. I do not feed grains, fruits, veggies as a regular part of the diet...just meat, bone, organs.

All three of my dogs, all small breeds, go for 2 3-mile walks each day. That means we are gone for almost an hour each time. We also exercise them in an agility course that my daughter built in the back yard, take them to the dog park a few times each week, and they run around the pasture and help out while we tend to other animals on the property. Lastly, they all participate in some type of class at the dog club (mostly obedience and agility), usually one evening per week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks for all the info Kathyy I will definitely cut down her food more. Also where do you get the green tripe, from a pet store or a groccery store? And do you use any spcieal kind of fish oil capsule in particular, like a special dog one or will just a normal human one do and how much do you give per day (or per week?)? Unfortuantly Sadie doesn't like fish.
And ok Briteday I will definitely increase her excersise too.
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Currently I use a brand of fish oil I find at Costco, open the capsule with a screw eye that was laying around and squirt it on her green tripe. 300 combined Omega 3 mg per 20 pounds of dog daily and more is fine if the dog tolerates it. If the caps you fiind are too much you can just use it less often. Pet stores carry fish oil too but I suspect human supplements are cheaper. Make sure it is plain, flavorings could be things that are bad for dogs like xylitol. I find the plain canned tripe at my local feed store that carries B.G. products and a speciality store that carries Trippett. My dogs love the stinky stuff but it is extra.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Petco carries a brand of tripe in a green can. I think it might be Wellness.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, well unfortunatly there are no Petcos in Canada, or atleast not where we live, but I'll have a look around all the petstores and try find it.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Petco carries a brand of tripe in a green can. I think it might be Wellness.
Solid Gold. But it's not pure tripe, it's a "complete and balanced" dog food made with tripe as the main ingredient. Anyone know of any canned tripe brands that are JUST tripe?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I know there are more but I have fed Merrick's BG brand and Tripett. There are dried tripe treats available as well. Unless the dog has a medical problem you could probably just use the canned complete food if you like. Sassy needs low phosphorus and complete foods have too much phosphorus for her.

Don't worry about it. The dogs love it but it is an extra. The home made food is plenty of spoiling already! There is probably a search for stores on the companies websites.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't feed homemade at the moment, although I do throw in dairy,veggies,fruit,and eggs with their kibble.

But anyways, raw diet is ushually better than home cooked in most situations. Raw contains more nutrients and takes less time to prepare. I highly reccomend you go to the bravo raw food website and see their food calculator, saying how much raw food your dog will eat in a day.

I have a friend who owns a 25 lb 7 year old mixed breed dog. She feeds him a raw chicken leg or a piece of whole fish w/organs and bones intact (weighing 4-7 ounces), with her homemade veggie puree(kale,raw egg,and goat yogurt)

If your dog ends up throwing up a lot from raw, THEN a cooked diet might be appropriate. This mainly occurs in older dogs fed kibble their whole life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts