Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,491 Posts

Here, I'll save you the trouble. It looks like a miniature Alaskan Husky to me, but I trust there's more to it than that.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Man, I just HATE when someone says that, because it's never REALLY the end of the story at all.

That sounds an awful lot like saying, "I don't want to hear from anyone who doesn't agree with me."

BTW, I don't want to hear from anyone who doesn't agree with me.
I guess you're right...got any better way of saying "that's all I'm gonna say"?...which is usually not the case either though.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Interesting.

They are short backed and long legged, sort of reminds me of the keeshond standard.

I think the legs on that one could stand to be a bit shorter and a bit thicker of bone, but over all it is an attractive pooch!

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
The Alaskan Klee Kai is, indeed, a miniature Alaskan Husky- they're meant to be a companion with the lovely physical traits in a smaller, more pet-oriented package. Do we need yet another companion breed? Maybe not. But they're cute, they've done an admirable job of PREVENTING puppy mills and BYBs from getting hold of the breed, and they've done things right. And I think I'd rather see low-keyed not-huskies than see Alaskan Huskies dumbed down to make them a good pet, rather than the running and racing athletes they are.

The Silken Windhound is a small, coated sighthound, of Borzoi and whippet descent (and possibly a little sheltie, there's a suspicion that some sheltie crept into the long-haired whippets somewhere). They have a breed club on a national and international level and breed very consistantly true. The founder of the breed is an extremely experienced, erputable dog breeder with something like 70 champion borzoi bred over the many years she was involved in that breed. Again- they've done a good job of making sure the breed stays in the hands of responsible people.

Neither of these two breeds is repeated F1 crosses. In fact, I believe the last inter-breed cross in Klee Kais was in the late 80s.(Now, I *am* worried about the size of their gene pool, but it's not my breed, and surely they've made some sort of plan for that.) I'm not sure when the last one on the Windhounds was, but it's NOT recent. People are showing their dogs in the organizations it's allowed in. They're proving them in performance events such as lure coursing. They're health testing. In short? They're doing stuff right.

My MAIN reason for condemning mixbreeders is that frankly, none of them are doing this. NONE. ALL of them take short cuts, because they can. The public will still buy their puppies, which are often priced significantly higher than wel-bred, health tested puppies from ethical breeders of REAL breeds. A girl in my obedience class paid FIVE TIMES for her dysplastic, ill-tempered labradoodle (that sheds and needs monthly $70 grooming- he's 29" and larger than a standard poodle, plus he's hard to deal with, I think their groomer's a saint- to keep from turning into a matted mess- if they'd shave him and brush regularly, they could get onto an 8 week schedule, but since the breeder said not to shave him and that he wouldn't shed, he MUST not need that) that I paid for my show-potential, guaranteed hips and eyes, FANTASTICLY stable collie puppy. It's not like with real breeds where we can find at least a proportion of reputable breeders. There's not even a percentage- it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Dogstar. So there is a way to do it right. I wish they would with the poo mixes. Like the shi-poo an the other small breeds. I think they are so cute.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I think it is ok to breed mixed breed dogs so long as the breeder is giving both parents the proper testing and medical care and the conditions of the breeding place are clean. So in other words they do what reputable pure bred breeders do only it is with mixed dogs.

Does anyone else her think this is ok? I pretty much already know who does not think this is ok I am just wondering are there more than just one or two people on this forum that think like I do when it comes to the above.

PLease if you disagree Please just say you disagree and leave it at that unless some one else asks you to clarify. I dont want to read all the same long lists of info you already posted .

Just who agrees. :D
NO! I see to many in the shelters that don't have homes and are healthy.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Yes its perfectly alright for people to be responsible about breeding mixed breed dogs.... BUT, NOT until all 118 519 dogs listed on petfinder right this minute that are looking for homes have them. http://content.petfinder.com/breeds/?action=3
AND
when all shelters are forced to close their doors due to a shortage of homeless dogs.

Until my "fantasy theory" becomes reality, there is absolutely no need on this earth to mix breeds.
For every job that a dog could do, there is a breed for it. And dogs are slowly being bred into companions only, I would be interested to know of all the dogs in this world what the precentages of working dogs to companion dogs is.

Im sorry to ruin your thread, but I am personally so sick of people trying to find some way to make it alright to breed. I dont give a flying **** if its pure breds or mixed breeds, THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF PERFECT pet quality dogs DYEING in shelters on a daily basis.
I think it should be mandatory for every new dog owner to spend a week, non stop in a high kill shelter to really make it sink in what they would be contributing to if they bred their dog. For WHATEVER reason.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
If there really is a market for a curly-haired Pekingese, or a less curly Bichon or Poodle, or a less pug-faced Pug... then do it right and create a new breed, with a new name and new standard.
Responsible breeders don't breed to satisfy a market, or meet a demand. Also, the curl in Bichons and Poodles can be controlled by the way they are groomed. A properly groomed Bichon is not curly at all. Why breed mixes to achieve the same result as proper grooming?

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Responsible breeders don't breed to satisfy a market, or meet a demand. Also, the curl in Bichons and Poodles can be controlled by the way they are groomed. A properly groomed Bichon is not curly at all. Why breed mixes to achieve the same result as proper grooming?
Could not agree more!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Is Petfinder an good place to get a pet?
Petfinder is a wonderful place to get a pet, especially if you are looking for a mixed breed, they have many puppies as well, it just depends on your location.

Sure some of them have health problems, but you know before hand most of the time. And its not like you are spending $1000 + for your future "designer dog" and getting health problems anyways.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Stop!! I already looked and came close to crying. Is petfinder like a humane society? Is it ok to get puppies from there?
Petfinder is a website that is offered to non-profit rescues to showcase their adoptable pets. You don't get puppies from Petfinders, you get them from the rescue that uses the site to show their animals. Those individuals are like anything else in life - some good, some not - but you can pretty much start with the premise that their hearts are in the right place because they care enough to rescue these animals. You still need to ask lots of questions and be prepared to answer lots of questions.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Petfinder isn't an adoption group, it's a website where other individual shelters or rescues can list their dogs. Basically, it's a classifieds database for verifiable rescue organizations.

"Verifiable" doesn't necessarily mean "reputable" though, as I've heard about and experienced some problems with some rescues listed, mostly with no-kill groups that misrepresent aggressive dogs.

·
Super Moderator
11,491 Posts
Petfinder provides links to and from local shelters. You can filter your search by location, breeds, size, age, whatever . . .

Once, in a moment of extreme weakness, I went on there looking for, of all things, a SECOND PLOTT HOUND! I was amazed to find several within 100 miles.

Luckily, I came to my senses in time.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Petfinder is a wonderful place to get a pet, especially if you are looking for a mixed breed, they have many puppies as well, it just depends on your location.

Sure some of them have health problems, but you know before hand most of the time. And its not like you are spending $1000 + for your future "designer dog" and getting health problems anyways.
I was just wondering what you feed your dogs?

21 - 40 of 66 Posts