Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it is ok to breed mixed breed dogs so long as the breeder is giving both parents the proper testing and medical care and the conditions of the breeding place are clean. So in other words they do what reputable pure bred breeders do only it is with mixed dogs.

Does anyone else her think this is ok? I pretty much already know who does not think this is ok I am just wondering are there more than just one or two people on this forum that think like I do when it comes to the above.

PLease if you disagree Please just say you disagree and leave it at that unless some one else asks you to clarify. I dont want to read all the same long lists of info you already posted .

Just who agrees. :D

·
Super Moderator
11,514 Posts
I think it is ok to breed mixed breed dogs so long as the breeder is giving both parents the proper testing and medical care and the conditions of the breeding place are clean. So in other words they do what reputable pure bred breeders do only it is with mixed dogs.
You've set up an impossible scenerio.

First, you'll need to define "proper testing." For some, that means taking both parents to the vet for a routine checkup. For others, it means a full genetic work-up.

Also reputable breeders work to continue an established breed. So, "do what reputable pure bred breeders do only it is with mixed dogs" doesn't make any sense.

If you've read any of my posts you know I've suggested we lighten up on the owners of designer breeds, and I am not generally someone who participates in endless debates. But when you start trying to defend the breeders, then I have to draw the line.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RonE, I do not want a debate I just want to know who thinks what. Actually who agrees.

I dont want to hear who disagrees and hopefully wont so there will just be a thread with agreeable people:D

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
PLease if you disagree Please just say you disagree and leave it at that unless some one else asks you to clarify. I dont want to read all the same long lists of info you already posted .

Just who agrees. :D
Leaves little room for debate there :rolleyes:
I guess we're only allowed to agree or give no opinion at all.

RonE, I do not want a debate I just want to know who thinks what. Actually who agrees.

I dont want to hear who disagrees and hopefully wont so there will just be a thread with agreeable people:D
If you just want a thread of who agrees with the above scenario then it's going to be a very small thread.

·
Super Moderator
11,514 Posts
Sorry. I thought we were talking about reality.

I hereby respectfully request that only those who agree with Peace's fantasy scenerio post to this thread and the rest of us will back off.

I'm serious.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leaves little room for debate there :rolleyes:
I guess we're only allowed to agree or give no opinion at all.

If you just want a thread of who agrees with the above scenario then it's going to be a very small thread.
I dont want a debate. Maybe it will be a small thread. Ok I will just see where this one goes and in the mean time start a different thread that maybe will not cause a debate. Maybe I will write the new thread in a better way:)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I agree. I think designer breeds and their owners get too much crap. Its like beating something dead.

·
Super Moderator
11,514 Posts
I agree. I think designer breeds and their owners get too much crap. Its like beating something dead.
As an objective moderator, I'd like to point out that Peace is not asking about the dog or the owner. She's specifically talking about the breeders.

"I think it is ok to breed mixed breed dogs "

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sorry. I thought we were talking about reality.

I hereby respectfully request that only those who agree with Peace's fantasy scenerio post to this thread and the rest of us will back off.

I'm serious.
Oh, thank you Master RonE.:D

As an objective moderator, I'd like to point out that Peace is not asking about the dog or the owner. She's specifically talking about the breeders.

"I think it is ok to breed mixed breed dogs "
Wait a minute RonE (notice I took out the Master this time):confused: Now I am confused.

Maybe just close this one? I like my other new post better. I really was not trying to ask breeders. I was trying to find out from anyone in general.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Honestly, if a breeder were doing the necessary health tests, prescreening owners with spay & neuter and return policies in their contract, AND working to develop a new breed that breeds true, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed.

I am opposed to breeding two purebreds together to sell the puppies.

If there really is a market for a curly-haired Pekingese, or a less curly Bichon or Poodle, or a less pug-faced Pug... then do it right and create a new breed, with a new name and new standard.

·
Super Moderator
11,514 Posts
Good grief, Peace. You asked who agrees that it's okay to breed mixed breed dogs. You didn't ask only breeders to respond, and you didn't ask who thinks that designer dogs or their owners are evil.

I'm trying to keep your own thread on topic, but I don't see much hope.

Good luck with this.

I'm going back to talk about cereal.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Honestly, if a breeder were doing the necessary health tests, prescreening owners with spay & neuter and return policies in their contract, AND working to develop a new breed that breeds true, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed.

I am opposed to breeding two purebreds together to sell the puppies.

If there really is a market for a curly-haired Pekingese, or a less curly Bichon or Poodle, or a less pug-faced Pug... then do it right and create a new breed, with a new name and new standard.
That is what I am talking about. I think you just said it alot better.:)

Good grief, Peace. You asked who agrees that it's okay to breed mixed breed dogs. You didn't ask only breeders to respond, and you didn't ask who thinks that designer dogs or their owners are evil.

I'm trying to keep your own thread on topic, but I don't see much hope.

Good luck with this.

I'm going back to talk about cereal.
Ok, Now I get what you were saying.....oh and thanks again Master RonE. Really:)

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I tihnk that if breeders of mixed breeds did it RIGHT- formed breed clubs, wrote DETAILED breed standards which were the GOAL, not a description of F1 dogs currently producing or so vague as to be useless, did all health testing applicable for their breeds, proved their dogs properly (the purebred ancestors can be proven in existing venues such as AKC, UKC and other venues. For succeeding generations, males can be shown in peformance events via AMBOR in UKC after they are neutered and semen saved until they have proven themselves in performance venues.) They'd move AWAY from doing endless F1 crosses and towards a sustainable, reproducable breed- and past F3-F4, which is the furthest I've ever seen on a "Labradoodle".

They'd do things the way the Alaskan Klee Kai and Silken Windhound people have done, who have created legitimate, true-breeding breeds in less time than labradoodles and cockapoos haev been around.

Lastly, they'd be honest and proper about their 'breed's' pros and cons, just like a reputable breeder of any other breed. They'd either fix (as in, make solid, not repair) the non-shedding trait and admit their dogs needed professional grooming just like any other dog, or they'd admit that they do shed. They'd explain that both poodles and labs, for example, are active, intelligent dogs who are highly trainable but also need an owner commited to DOING that training and exercisinsg. They'd quit using the term 'hypoallergenic'.

Right now, I've yet to met a single breeder of mixed breeds that meets my standards. The few 'clubs' formed for these breeds are so vague on a breed standard as to be utterly worthless, and persist in registering continual F1 crosses, requiring health testing, or doing actual RESEARCH on the incidence of disease in their 'breed' the way the PCA is, for example.(The Poodle Club of America spends, I believe, about 1/3 of their annual budget on research into health conditions and heritability in the poodle) They're not in it for the love of the breed. They're in it for money.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't...end of story.

ok..just a quick comment, this sounds incredibly similar to the argument that Intelligent Design and Creation are two different things...... if it walks like a duck, it quacks like a duck then maybe, just maybe......it could be a duck?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They'd do things the way the Alaskan Klee Kai and Silken Windhound people have done, who have created legitimate, true-breeding breeds in less time than labradoodles and cockapoos haev been around.
Are those a group of people or a breed (Alaskan Klee Kai & Silken Windhound)?

·
Super Moderator
11,514 Posts
...end of story.
Man, I just HATE when someone says that, because it's never REALLY the end of the story at all.

That sounds an awful lot like saying, "I don't want to hear from anyone who doesn't agree with me."

BTW, I don't want to hear from anyone who doesn't agree with me.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Man, I just HATE when someone says that, because it's never REALLY the end of the story at all.

That sounds an awful lot like saying, "I don't want to hear from anyone who doesn't agree with me."

BTW, I don't want to hear from anyone who doesn't agree with me.
UGH! Well I don't agree with you...end of story!! :rolleyes:

:D

1 - 20 of 66 Posts