Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always owned or fostered/rescued mutts (nothing wrong with that) but for my next dog I am wanting a health tested, registered puppy or young adult.
I'm looking into Whippets as they are almost exactly what I am looking for in a dog!
Does anybody have experience with Whippets? I would love any knowledge and experiences you have if you have owned one of these gorgeous dogs!
This is a few years into the future but I am getting prepared and researching my potential breed of choice! Any information would be very helpful!

.... I couldn't find a breed specific section so if this is the wrong section please transfer this into the correct category! Thanks

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Whip it good..dah, dah, dah, dah, dupp....

Sorry...that's what your title made me think of.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Are you old enough to remember the band "DEVO"? Whip it, whip it good, was a popular song.

·
Banned
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you old enough to remember the band "DEVO"? Whip it, whip it good, was a popular song.
Oh yes I remember it! I'm a huge 80's pop music buff lol my husband hates it!
But ummmmm.... any info or experience with Whippets? Lol

·
Registered
569 Posts
Check with WRAP: Whippet Rescue and Placement. There are always Whippet rescues available. Depending where you are located, I can refer you to breeders, too.

I love the breed, and may eventually have a couple. Right now, DH and I are on a big dog phase, though, so we will ride that for a while. But, they are typically VERY sweet, affectionate and cuddly. They are more active than many sighthounds, but that's not to say they are "hyper." But to me, they always seem to want to be busy, unlike many sighthound breeds.

They are very athletic, as many sighthounds are. They love to run and play, and are champion frisbee dogs! You also see them often in lure-coursing and amateur racing.

A few cons, if you consider them to be so: They must always be leashed or securely fenced, like other sighthounds. If not, they will chase anything that moves, and you will NOT be able to keep up with them.

They must be jacketed in cold weather: They have a very thin, short coat, and so cannot keep warm in cold weather.

They have thin skin, so they can get injured more easily than other breeds.

All in all, Whippets are a fun breed! I love them, and I bet you will too!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I have a whippet. She is fun and super smart. She is incredibly social and brave. I have had no problems teaching her a dependable recall. She is tireless at this stage almost to the point of manic. However, she is only a year old. She is sweet, dog social, cat-accepting, and never tries to harass my parrot. I love her psychotically. Can't say enough good things about her.

Training her has been incredibly easy, although I waited til about 10 months to really start asking stuff of her. Before, it was all quick and fun!

Fabulous dogs!

·
Banned
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the information! I always thought that Whippets were a fairly mellow dog but you seem to be saying that they can be a bit energetic. I'm looking for a medium energy dog-- would they fit into that category?? I want an off switch for in the house and an on switch for when I take him/her out!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
They tend to be medium energy and easy to live with. However, the puppies can be monsterous little dragons! They tend to have active spurts followed by long hours of lounging. Mine tends to be on the wound up side.

For training, they do very poorly with correction-based methods. They are very sensitive. They can sulk and disengage if they feel mis-treated. They are not known for being easy to train. Mine has been a snap, but she has been treated like a princess and is convinced that she is controlling the show! As long as she's having fun, she's all about it. She house-trained extremely easily. She has never been one to pull on a leash. She has not been destructive. She crates easily.

There are forums dedicated to whippets. Might be worth googling it and checking it out. Lots of fabulous pics and stories. Not heavy on training, but heavy on fun.

Oh, and that whippet pic is horrifying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts