Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My family has raised German Shephards for over 20 years so I've housebroken and cratebroken puppies before, but for some odd reason I can not get this puppy to stop whinning when he is in the crate. I've put in warm water bottles, his toys, blankets, alarm clock and I've covered the crate with a blanket and just can not get him from whinning. I take him out to go potty, sometimes he goes, sometimes he doesn't. He is in another room and we use the tv and AC to drown out the whinning, he isn't hot he have central AC and he isn't hungry. He hates being in the crate. He is about 4 months old. Any suggestions, my husband and I would like to get some sleep!!

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I would suggest getting crate games. Its a DVD, works great on getting dogs to enjoy their crates and behave while in them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm not a very experienced dog owner, but I had the same problem with my cockapoo puppy. Have you tried tiring him out? I take him for a walk at night and then just let him lay around and fall asleep somewhere. And then I gently take him to the crate. He might whine for a few minutes but then it's over. He's too tired. The positive reinforcement of the crate environment as the previous poster said is also really helpful. I used to feed him only in the crate for a while. And I never gave in and took him out of the crate while he whined... but you probably know not to do that too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts