Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beagle just turned one at the beginning of July. I understand that dogs sometimes cry to let us know things. He will cry if he has to go out or if he's hungry, and especially if he wants me to share some of my food. These things I understand and am completely okay with.

BUT

there are times where he will cry for 30 minutes just because he hears someone in the other room. I usually let him investigate but when it is 11pm and time for bed I can't just keep letting him in and out of my room to go see who got up to go to the bathroom. I really do try to be patient and ignore it and just let him cry so that he knows he wont get what he wants that way, but it can be really really frustrating when it lasts so long and its bed time!

Any suggestions on how to stop my dog from crying for long periods of time when he isn't in need of something?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Whining is a a result of stress. The stress can be real or in the dog's head.

It is one of the most difficult behaviors to stop.. because rewards may increase anticipation (and stress) even when delivered for silence and punishment usually leads to more stress and more whining.

Add to this the breed. Beagles are VERY vocal.

You might try running something to produce "white noise" like a fan. It may be enough to muffle outside noise and reduce the whining (assuming outside noise is why he is whining).

·
Registered
180 Posts
White noise, soft music, chews or soft toys that are quiet in the room for him, anything to help distract him. Also totally ignore the whining at night, no correction, no reward, just pretend to sleep through it. He will learn that you don't react to whatever it is and, neither should he. It takes time but, they do learn to ignore anything outside the sleeping room at night eventually.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts