Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 9 week old puppy is great during the night. She sleeps and when I get up to get her she follows me outside, potties, then gets back in 'her' place. I feed her when we are up for good then let her out again. The issue occurs after that. We come inside and she anxiously paces the room (I sit with her in a cordoned off section of the living room while I work). She whines and will chew something for a second, then look at the closed door and whine, then walk around some more, then whine, lay down, get up, lay down, walk around, whine, etc. She has access to 'her' place (the shower) and her crate but just gets in those for a second before leaving.

She will do this for half an hour then finally quiet down and lay down in a random place.

Thoughts? I can't tell if she's uncomfortable (we don't have A/C and it's warm in here), anxious, bored, or what. Thoughts on what the issue is and what can be done to fix it. I've tried playing with her for a few minutes but even that doesn't seem to fix the problem.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
congratulations on the new pup <3 is it possible you can take her for a leash walk before you settle down to work... and if your worried about a room being warm you can always use a fan to circulate the air which also adds (white noise) that may be soothing to some dogs. I work from home and try to break off for a 10 minute everyone outside romp around the yard also checking on my farm animals in their areas.. its a good little leg stretch for everyone and then follow me back in the house for me to work. They have an open dog door and some of them stay outside sometimes, sometimes not.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! And good suggestion. I have a fan on her crate so I think that should be sufficient. I usually play with her for about 20 minutes before I start working but she paces, whines, looks around, tries to reach her food bowl, stares at me and yelps, etc.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
It sounds like she just want attention. She doesn't understand that you have to work now. How do you react when she's pacing around and whining? Do you talk to her, ask her what's wrong, etc.? If so, you're reinforcing the behaviour by giving her attention. I suggest just ignore her completely until she settles down. If she settles in half an hour that's not too bad. She's still very young and is learning what's acceptable.

You could give her a stuffed Kong for this period too. It doesn't have to be full. I just slather some peanut butter and coconut oil around the inside and then freeze mine for my dogs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts