Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

first time puppy parent here. Mommy of a 10 week old Corgi Mix male. So, I seem to have gotten potty training down. However, I seem to be having trouble crate training, and am still dealing with whining in the crate.

We have had Bailey for 3 weeks now, and we have a variation when dealing with putting him in the crate. Sometimes, he cries for 2 minutes, and other times it can be howling/whining for 10+ minutes.

So far I have tried:

• Putting soft bedding into crate
• Putting chew toys in crate
• Having "crate only" kong with treats in the crate
• Started this week with feedings in the crate

I'm worried maybe I crate trained too fast, and I've started again with leaving him in there for short periods of time, and letting him out. Or, am I expecting this too quickly, and he is still getting acclimated to his new home? I'm not sure. Any suggestions would help thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry if this posts twice! I thought I typed out a reply... but it disappeared :(
My 6 month old girl Daisy did GREAT in the crate for the first 3 weeks she was home... then, out of nowhere, she took a few steps back. She was whining and howling in her crate like she was being tortured! I was so frustrated/upset until I picked up the phone and called my brother... he used to train dogs in the military. He told me that if I had done everything I could to make sure her crate was comfortable/safe, and that all of her immediate needs were met (she wasn't hungry/thirsty, she didn't have to potty, etc) that it was likely that she was testing her boundaries, and that she was trying to see what behaviors would get her out. He said the best thing to do at that point was to let her "cry it out" and not show ANY response, good or bad, to her behavior. It took 3 days of this, and it SUCKED. I felt horrible and mean, and wanted to let her out. I was about to throw in the towel on day 4, and she stopped. We have not had any issues since (thankfully)!

I will say that I also think not being on a consistent schedule was confusing her, too. We weren't planning on getting a dog (Daisy was found in a rural neighborhood), and it had been years since I had a puppy, so I have been re-learning quite a bit. The day we started letting her "cry it out", we started a pretty consistent routine and stuck with it. I'm a college student and my husband works full time, so it took us some time to figure out a good schedule, but I think we've nailed it down! We go out around the same times every day, and she goes in the crate at night around the same time every day, weekend or week day. I think this has helped a lot.

We also play rain sounds for her through our Echo.... not sure if she likes it, but we listen to that at night when we are falling asleep, so we thought why not! Haha.

I hope it gets better! I'm sure you will get advice from people much more experienced than myself, but this is what worked for us :)

·
Super Moderator
2,921 Posts
It is not unusual for puppies to whine and cry in their crate for the first few weeks, or even months. 5-10 minutes of crying is not unusual. Never let him out when he is crying, only when he is quiet!

Keep doing what you're doing. He's a baby still, and it will get better!

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I first got sprocket at 10weeks he cried horribly sounded so sad the first night I knew he missed his sisters
I ended up having him sleep on my stomach all nights afraid to move to wake him lol
The next night he cried but not as loudly I slept on the couch with him again all day I'd constantly be working on getting him comfy in his play pen
But the third night my back was sore and I was getting cranky from sleeping on the couch in an awkward position all night so I left him in his play pen I still slept on the couch but was able to get more comfy he didn't cry at all after a week I tried to sleep in my bed while he was in the living room play pen he cried louder than he ever had
I bought a crate the next day set it next to my bed gave him a kong and closed the crate he whined I ignored and he fell asleep
I wish I did that on day one lol
I would ignore unless u think he has to potty take him out then goes straight back in no talking or anything
Next puppy I get will go into crate day one lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
It sounds like you're doing everything right! I'm in the same boat as you right now, I have a 10 week old puppy. I've done a lot of research online and this is the time to crate train them! So don't worry about it being too early!
I think having a very routine schedule is very helpful. But even right now, my puppy was doing great in his crate and has now decided to want to wake up earlier. What I have been doing, is if he wakes up crying - I see if he needs to do his business. But then he goes right back in his crate. He does usually cry, but I just wait it out. Everyone has told me this is perfectly normal, and to wait it out. They're testing you - so stay strong! I'm sure he's fine, he just wants some attention. Just make sure he isn't crying to go potty. If you're unsure, just take him outside to do his thing. Do not encourage any play or be exciting. He should go right back in the crate when he's done. He may cry again, but just ignore him!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts