Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have 3 dogs. Two of which are out of their destruction phase and are very quiet. I've a Boston Terrier, 1 yrs old, a Shih Tzu, 1 yrs old, and they are great. Then we have Sasha. I love her very much but she's becoming a handful. She's a little over 1, she is a husky/lab/pit mix. She's around 35-40 lbs and will whine and bark like crazy everytime we come home. We don't leave her for long just enough time for me to go take care of other dogs, I'm a pet sitter, they are in their cage for only a few hours. I try to not make it long. She has plenty of toys and we take them to the dog park when we can but just yesterday she had to stay in her cage due to us having company over while we ate and she pulled our comfetor through her cage and ripped a giant hole in it and pulled all the stuffing out of the area she could reach. She chewed a hole in the carpet a few months back and a hole in the wall. Does she need more exercise perhaps? Is it just because she has lab in her and she will be chewing for a bit longer? I don't want to get rid of her but my bf is getting to the point where if she destroys something else expensive we may have to. We live in an apt but it's not small, it's a 2 bedroom 2 bath with a large living room space and a patio which she has access to. I'm going to start walking her a bit more once I take care of the smaller dogs. Any other ideas on how to stop the destruction? What about the whining? We've had her since she was a pup so, thoughts?

Image below is Sasha and Izabelle

BEUzCwUCUAApGhO.jpg

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
and will whine and bark like crazy everytime we come home.
Do you mean every time you leave?

My husky goes nuts when I COME home, but it generally fine when I leave I guess.

I would take her for a walk or some other form of exercise about 30 minutes before you leave. Leave her with something to occupy her. Put the crate somewhere where she CANNOT REACH ANYTHING. Not the wall, not the bed, not the carpet. Maybe in the kitchen or the bathroom or laundry room, on a rug or something.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
Are you sure of the mix? Looks like a GSd x Golden ?

Your mix is very high energy and needs more exercise.... my suggested mix needs more training and mental stimulation... GSDs can whine and get excited when you come home, b/c they're mentally bored to tears. In either case, a frozen Kong and hard rubber bone would probably help, in addition to HollowHeaven's suggestions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts