Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband wanted a dog for the backyard to guard the house. I do NOT like animals in my house because of allergies and smell. He knew this. I got him a dog for outside. Well...BIG mistake. First of all she is not a guard dog. She is a whiny, loving, never met a stranger dog. She is half Rot and half Lab. She is very cute, loving and very smart. The problem is...my husband and my son have spoiled her and now (without me really realizing), she is a house dog. The problem is we have a very small house, no bigger than an apartment. The dog is 70 lbs. She follows everyone every where around this house. She has her nose up their butt everywhere every time. If someone leaves the room she cries, if someone enters a room she cries. If you show her attention she cries. She cries and cries and cries. I can't stand it anymore. I finally told them that we need to get rid of her and place her with a family with children who will pay her a lot of attention. She needs much more than we can give her. My husband is refusing. So I said fine, them let's put her outside like she was suppose to be to begin with. Well, he won't do that either.
Please don't get me wrong. I lvoe her. I made it clear when we got the dog that she was not to be in the house and he agreed. Now, that it is an issue he refuses to go back to our arrangement.
I really can not have her in the house. I can NOT stand the constant crying and pacing around she does. I really can't. I love her and I would never hurt her but I can't deal with it. It finally got to the point that I told him, "It's me or the dog".
Unless someone can tell me how to deal with her and get her to quit crying and following everybody around, I am going to have to make my husband extrememly angry with me and give her away. I don't want to break his heart or hurt him but I really can't deal with it. By the way. My husband works 2 jobs and my son is always in school or at friends, so it is me she is always with.
HELP!! this is a real big issue in this family.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Give her something to do. The reason she is always following you is because 1) She is obviously a pack oriented dog so she likes to follow, and 2) she has nothing else to do.

I would suggest getting her some toys to play with or buy a kong and put some canned dog food or yummy treats in it.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Sorry to see you in such a difficult position. I'm not going to suggest any training tips because l suspect you'll end up with that responsibility.

What I will suggest is contacting a rescue organization. Don't just give the dog away (unless you really know the person). Free dogs is a main supply line for bait dogs or worse.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I can see that you're trying everything possible to resolve this problem, and I really appreciate that. But the root of the problem, as I see it, is that your husband made an agreement with you and then broke it. We can't help you with that.

This dog needs to be with her pack. You said, "She needs much more than we can give her" and I think you're right. I don't fault you at all for not really being "into" dogs, but the responsibility for this dog has been thrust upon you and that's not the dog's fault.

I hope you will take Tooney's advice and contact a Lab or Rottie Rescue in your area and ask them to take the dog.

And then have a talk with your husband about keeping agreements and being upfront with you.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
First off, thanks for being honest and fair. Most of us here couldn't imagine being in your shoes because we are the type who happily put up with drool and poo and hair and whatnot..but the fact is, not everyone is a dog person and not everyone wants or needs the extra responsibility inherent in owning a dog.

I third the recommendation to contact a breed specific rescue to find this sweet girl a good furever home. Both you and she deserve to be happy and to be loved and your husband, hopefully, will understand that if you speak honestly to him about it and not in a fit of pique or anger..choosing the right time is just as important as what you have to say.

I also have to say, dogs don't do well as backyard guard dogs. Get a motion detector or alarm system.

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apparently, I have led people to believe that I am not a dof lover. I love this dog very much and I would NEVER just give her away without interviewing families or making sure she was to go a good home. I really would rather not give her up at all. I would rather know what to do to make her stop the whining and following.
I have no problem with keepingher if I can train her in some way to stop this stuff. If it's not possible then I will have to give her away (the right way of course). But thanks for all your opinions and very good responses. Maybe someone here knows how I can train her?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
It sounds like she hasn't had any basic obedience...when to give attention, when not to....how/when to correct, etc. The biggest problem that I read is the attention and low confidence...wanting attention but not knowing what she has to do to earn it.

That's where the training comes in...praising for calm behavior...praising for staying on her mat/rug/bed if only for a minute at first and giving her the confidence to be by herself. Ignoring all cries...not even a look (that's still attention).

Confidence training is a slow process. Part of that confidence is her being able to rely on a set routine...what to do/when/where. That's the hard part...what do you want her to do? It has to be specific. Sitting at the computer......go lay in the corner. Praise for obeying. Praise 2 minutes later if she's still laying there. Don't want her underfoot in the kitchen?....have her stay in the doorway or under the table.

I also suspect she's not getting enough exercise. This is high energy breed that needs a 10-15 mile walk/run every day. That alone would drastically reduce her need for attention and following everyone from room to room....wear her out. Mental exercise is just as tiring as physical....1 hour of obedience work and most dogs will go and hide/sleep for the next 18 hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you sooo much! That is what I needed to know. I have been trying to do those things and my husband just keeps bucking me because he just falls apart when she whines. He has such a big heart and he thinks she is whining because she is hurt (mentally). I know that sounds crazy but he just really loves her. I am glad to hear that there is a way that we can train her. As far as the running, playing and walking, I have been telling him that as well. I told him that if they would take ker out and run her around, she would be more tired. I bought her toys, sticks, balls and she loves them. When she does go outside she bounces around like a rabbit. She loves it!
I truly do not want to get rid of her. I know they love her and I am willing to deal with it if they will follow trying to help calm her down. Thank you so much for that and I will show him these post then maybe he will agree with me and thank you all for your responses. It truly has helped.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Responsible dog ownership is like having a child. It requires an investment of time and activities. And the rewards are incredible! An obedience class in your area would do a world of good. And make it so that both you and your husband can go and learn how to train your dog. A well-trained dog is a pleasure to have in the house, no matter how small. She should be in the house with her family. But you can teach her to behave accordingly. I can see how you two could become best friends and I REALLY hope that happens! :)

Here are a couple links to read:

How to stop your dog from whining

NILIF

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Well I'm so glad you came back and corrected us..lol.
Yes, take a class. One night a week with a good positive trainer. Check out www.APDT.com to help find one near you. Hubby should join you (especially since it sounds like HE is the one who needs training..lol). Training classes are more for the humans to learn HOW to train the dog than they are for the dog and are invaluable, especially if you find a good trainer. If hubby cannot join you (two jobs is a lot of time consumed) you can go to the classes and then have the trainer come in to your home for a private session or two to get hubby on board. Consistency is of the utmost importance so as not to confuse your dog.

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts