Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My black lab mix is a year and half. We have had him sense he was 8 weeks old. I have been though the whole potty training stage and the night time whininess. We use to kennel him at night but he started behaved well enough at night that he wasn’t made to sleep in the kennel anymore. But I would say in the past month he has started to whine again. He’ll walk around the bed right after we turn out the lights and he whines. When he finally does lie down and go to sleep he will randomly wake up in the middle of the night and barks then does the whole walk around the bed and whine. We always get up to check outside, nothing is ever there.

We moved to Phoenix about a year ago, and my boyfriend believes its because of the AC. That maybe Rex(my dog) can sense it getting ready to kick on. We did move from a state where we didn’t have AC in our house. I just don't know if dogs can sense that kind of thing.

He does get lots of exercise. I take him on morning walks and my boyfriends plays with him in the evenings. I just don’t know why he would start to whine again after breaking the habit over a year ago? Help please.

Thanks Noelle:)

·
Registered
339 Posts
You could start to crate him again. The crate will make him feel at ease and prevent him from pacing about. When they have the option of getting up and walking around, they tend to respond more to weird noises even if there is no real danger. Perhaps he needs to go potty or wants you guys to wake up to interact with him? It's hard to say.

If you think it's the AC, does he do any thing during the day when it starts up? If he has not response to it, then it might not be it. Have you started doing anything new in your bed time routine? Or maybe you should consider keeping your eyes open for mice/rats? Since he's only doing this at night maybe he's hearing them scurry about, that could set him off. Dogs are very observant, and will be able to sense something so subtle.

You can always try to walk him in the evening as well. The extra exercise and tiring him out before bed might help him settle down at bedtime.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You should probably take him to the vet. It's possible he's in pain.

Plus, and I hate making people nervous, but my old dog spent 6 months barking at "nothing". Turned out that "nothing" was a whole colony of bats in our attic, in between the walls and in the basement drop ceiling. Never again will I dismiss a dog whining or barking at nothing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts