Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently got a new dog, a Rottie mix, who has been doing really well in training and so far we only have one problem - whenever are unsprayed female goes outside, he begins to whine and run around the house. He recently got fixed as well, and I know he will still have those coarse feelings, how can I keep him from tearing through the house whining.

I also would like advice to how to keep them apart when they're both in the house. I want a peaceful household, but the owner of the female refuses to fix her and seems to encourage them to breed.

I have no idea what to do, because I don't know if I should keep him in the kennel when he acts like this, or keep them both in the kennel, or keep the female in the kennel.

I usually have high patience, but I'm beginning to get frustrated. What should I do?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Um, does your friend know what "neutered" means? There's no point in them tying if he doesn't have testicles.

Honestly, other than general obedience and careful, consistent monitoring (and 2 doors between the dogs when you can't supervise), I can't think of much beyond waiting for the female to go out of heat. The next heat might be easier. Kabota went berserk over a female in heat less than three months after neutering, but a year later, he was just a little out of control.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! I am so relieved that this seems to be a common occurrence, because I was afraid he was going to be out-of-control all the time.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
He will probably calm down. Not just because he is neutered, but because the novelty will wear off. Just keep him under control and separated for now (neutered he won't get her pregnant, but he can still tie with her), consistently enforce house rules, and keep breathing. It doesn't mean you won't have to do SOME separation later, but he'll chill out.

The neighbor across the street's dog is in heat right now. There are 3 intact dogs in my house. 1 is 6 months old so I'm counting his lack of reaction as youth. The other two are finished show dogs, who have been bred before and spent most of their lives iwth intact females. Neither one of them give a flip.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I kinda doubt it's because she's an unspayed female. Is she even in heat right now? If not, she smells, to him, exactly like a spayed female. My dogs don't like it when the other dog(s) go outside without him/her. It's more of a social thing, I think.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
I kinda doubt it's because she's an unspayed female. Is she even in heat right now? If not, she smells, to him, exactly like a spayed female. My dogs don't like it when the other dog(s) go outside without him/her. It's more of a social thing, I think.
Huh. I totally missed that he didn't mention if she was in heat.

Agreed. If she's not, he just wants out! Make sure he gets his own exercise and work on training calm. Heck, do that anyway.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a relief. I have been working on enforcing house rules, and trying to give him treats, but he seems to refuse to eat the treats. Someone once said hotdogs, but I was wondering should I heat up the hot dogs first? Or if hot dogs is even a good idea?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She is in heat, sorry I forgot to mention that. She actually went into h eat the day after we got him.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Yeah, but irresponsible twits who try to breed 2 random dogs don't necessarily know when a dog is fertile or not. . .

ETA: oops, saw the update. Hmm, I guess it's about 50/50 as to whether he's upset because she's in heat or because "OMG, she's out there without meeee", since he's never really known her when she's not in heat. I suppose you'd have to wait until she's out of heat to know for sure.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
My male foster puppy whines and howls like a banshee when he sees me take my adult male dog outside without him. Obviously nothing to do with a female in heat. It's all "DON'T LEAVE ME!" They can play together, but I take them out separately for potty and for walks for practical and training purposes right now.

I take the puppy outside first since his potty trips are more urgent, then I put him in the crate with a chew and take out the adult. He whines, I ignore it. Then a walk for the puppy and he's tired enough to chill out while I walk the adult. Then a walk together with both of them. Then puppy is even more tired and willing to relaxed when I spend time outside with the adult. I toss a few treats at the puppy when he is being quiet to reinforce that. I don't take him out of the crate until he's quiet (except for the first pee break after my work day when I rush him outside).

High value treats for most dogs are tiny bits of hot dog (cold is fine), small bits of turkey or chicken meat, small bits of lunch meat (not the highly seasoned kind), bits of cheese, and sometimes peanut butter.

If you want to occupy him in the kennel, try filling a Kong with wet food (or kibble blended with water to make a mush) and then freezing it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts