Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have a 12 week old Pekingese x Shih Tzu puppy who whines and barks for attention. In the beginning, we were doing really well with just ignoring her until she was quiet. However, my boyfriend has been giving her attention everytime she makes a noise recently. I tell him not to look at her, because that is attention too, and just to be totally nonreactive to her. However he doesn't listen and continues to not listen and keeps looking at her and talking to her. Now she won't stop barking and crying for attention when I put her in her ex-pen. A couple of weeks ago I started conditioning her to "alone times" where she would have to learn to entertain herself and just chill. She was doing so well, but now this is happening she is getting more vocal. I'll be going back to school soon, and have been trying to conditioning her to be left alone for 4-5 hours very gradually (she's up to 3 hours). We might be able to have someone come in and let her out to go potty, but that is not a sure thing, so we're going to leave potty pads just in case. How can I get her to stop barking and whining for attention with someone who keeps rewarding her for that behavior? What other techniques can I use to help decrease the noise? We live in a condo complex, and I don't want to disturb the neighbors >.<

Also, I've been very clear to my boyfriend that he is making her worst, but he refuses to listen. It would be a lot easier if I could get him follow the rules, however, I do not think he will. Ways to make him listen would be a lot better than ways to get her to be quiet, because I know she'll stop doing it when she stops getting the attention. But I'm taking this as listening is not an option.

Advice is greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
529 Posts
You can't properly train a dog unless everyone who interacting with that dog on a daily basis agrees to follow the same rules. This sounds like more of a problem between you and your BF than with the dog. You have the right ideas but they aren't being enforced. You have to work this out with him or else the dog will continue to get mixed signals.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
^^^This!
In a way, it's the same as raising kids. You have to be on the same page with your boyfriend, or the puppy will continue to whine and bark, because sometimes it gets her what she wants.
Maybe it would help to have boyfriend log on and see some of the threads that deal with whining. There are lots of them, because lots of people have this problem.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hmmm, just curious, but why is your boyfriend refusing to listen? If it's because he legitimately thinks the tree method doesn't work, then have him visit the forum as doxiemommy suggested. Or if he would rather have "official" advice, there are lots of good books that people can recommend to you. Victoria Stilwell also uses this tecnique a lot on her show It's Me or the Dog, and you can actually see the before and after in dogs instead of just reading about advice that are supposed to work. So maybe watching the show with him might help you be more persuasive?

But if he is not listening simply because he still wants to talk to the dog, then maybe enforce a no-dog-bf-hanging-out rule until your puppy is consistently displaying the behaviors you want? Otherwise maybe bribe your boyfriend to ignore the pooch or he gets cold shoulders from you unless he gives the dog cold shoulder? haha.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts