Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between a change in budget and my Tzu's food allergies, I've decided that home cooked meals are going to be our best route. I've already found easy crockpot recipes and other information but I'm researching what is the best supplements that will be needed to balance the food for a small breed dog weighing about 15lbs. I've heard of bonemeal, calcium and probably even a pet multivitamin but not sure which brands are best and they need to be budget friendly too. Can I just do a pet multivitamin without adding anything else? I'll be using some canned dog food too but I can't afford all canned diet right now so I plan on giving maybe 2 tablespoons of canned dog food combined with the home cooked foods.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I use an adult human multi mineral and vitamin supplement. My 13 pound dogs get 1/2 caplet
each daily ground and mixed into the raw food or used to bread a chunk of bony meat. I'm using the multi for magnesium, manganese, zinc, riboflavin and selenium and the dogs are getting lots more B vitamins than they need. On top of that they get fish oil and vitamin E capsules every few days. They are eating bones so use bone meal and offer whatever comes out to 500 mg of calcium a day. The phosphorus in it is the perfect amount.

If you feed half canned and half cooked you don't need to add calcium or the multi min/vit. Commercial dog foods are nearly always far richer in minerals and vitamins than pets need. Do use fish oil and vitamin E though.

The pet supplements are meant for kibble and are fairly useless with home cooking. I distrust testing done and suspect human supplements are actually cheaper.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Costco brand, which ever has the most magnesium per enormous pill I think it's the regular adult formula. I grind it in a mortar and pestle and eyeball how much each dog gets.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If only they and a lot of other supplement providers showed how much of what is in there. Most are flavored, that one has chicken so not suitable for a dog with suspected chicken allergy.

There's always Balance IT. You choose what protein and carb you want to try and they send you the correct supplement for that recipe. There is no protein or carb in the powder you get so it would be suitable for an allergy trial.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. My dog cannot tolerate chicken or any poultry in general so I have to watch for all the flavorings too. Certain extra supplements added such as flaxseed are out too. The flaxseed or chicken fat additives have ruled out many kibbles and canned foods that I can feed.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I couldn't use any dog specific supplements with Sassy as she had kidney disease and needed low phosphorus. Very few of those companies provide complete information freely which is annoying. Of course whole foods are a better way to get the essential nutrients in but they aren't suitable when dealing with allergies.

Really, see Monica Segal's book or get balanceIT and use either of those after your dog's reactions have calmed down completely using that vet food.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts