Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a stainless steel slow eat bowl. There are plenty of stainless steel food bowls, and plenty of slow eat bowls, but so far, the only stainless steel, slow eat bowls I've seen are these two:

I have two questions for the dog whisperers here:
(1) For a dog with a fairly long snout (Belgian Malinois mix, heavy on the mix), which of those two would be most likely to slow the eating down?
(2) does anyone know of any others I could buy?

I bought one a week ago, which was great. It was a labyrinth pattern which dramatically slowed my dog's eating down. But I decided to return it b/c it was plastic, and just go with stainless steel food & water bowls. But these two don't appear to require that much of a slowdown in the eating.

My purpose in getting a slow eat bowl is to get him to actually chew the food. When we first got him home 2 weeks ago, he was literally not chewing the kibble. He was not throwing it up; stools looked just fine, but I still wanted to get him to chew & slow down a bit. Since then, even without a slow eat bowl, he has started chewing the kibble. So all I want here is just something that will gently nudge him in the right direction of slow eating. I suppose either bowl could do the job, but I'm wondering if folks here have had experience with either model, and could tell me that one or the other just had no affect, etc.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went to the OEM websites, and the Mr. Peanut bowl above is the only one that company makes.

I went to the QT website, and it looks like those three raised prongs (?) are higher than I first thought they looked. I think I'll go with that one, unless someone talks me out of it. :) Brake-Fast Bowl – Makers has some different pics from a different angle.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The only real difference I noticed with slow feed bowls is that it took my dogs four minutes to finish a meal instead of two. I went back to regular bowls.

Other options for slowing down fast eating include: using a muffin tin, dividing the kibble between the cups; using a sheet pan, spreading the kibble out; using a snuffle mat; tossing the kibble into the grass for him to hunt for; making "forage boxes" that he can dig through for his food; using puzzle toys that dispense a few kibbles at a time.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I use the Brake-fast one for my speedy eater. It definitely doesn't slow him down as much as some of the more 'complicated' slow feed or puzzle bowls, but I also wanted stainless steel for ease of cleaning (my dogs get fish oil & other supplements/toppers daily & it's difficult to wash them out of plastic completely)

The three 'prongs' are made to screw off for cleaning (or something?) and I didn't want to deal with that, so I used a thin bead of clear silicone around the base of each prong then screwed them down tight to permanently attach & waterproof them.

That being said, none of my dogs chew their food (regardless of what type of bowl or container it is served in) It's really not necessary for proper digestion, since dogs do not have digestive enzymes in their saliva. My one dog did occasionally eat fast enough to cause regurgitation, which is the reason I use the bowl for him. So, if you want to slow your dog's mealtime down go ahead & use one, but don't worry so much about the whole 'chewing' thing. If you want him to chew, provide a nice bully stick or other long-lasting consumable after he eats dinner.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I get that they digest their food in their stomachs, but I've already lost one dog to bloat and I'd rather not do it again. I know that there are many different factors, but still.

I didn't know that the three prongs are removable. Perhaps I should use silicone gel to seal the insides of the prongs, for when I wash them in bleach. Very good idea.

The three 'prongs' are made to screw off for cleaning (or something?) and I didn't want to deal with that, so I used a thin bead of clear silicone around the base of each prong then screwed them down tight to permanently attach & waterproof them.

That being said, none of my dogs chew their food (regardless of what type of bowl or container it is served in) It's really not necessary for proper digestion, since dogs do not have digestive enzymes in their saliva. My one dog did occasionally eat fast enough to cause regurgitation, which is the reason I use the bowl for him. So, if you want to slow your dog's mealtime down go ahead & use one, but don't worry so much about the whole 'chewing' thing. If you want him to chew, provide a nice bully stick or other long-lasting consumable after he eats dinner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The only real difference I noticed with slow feed bowls is that it took my dogs four minutes to finish a meal instead of two. I went back to regular bowls.

Other options for slowing down fast eating include: using a muffin tin, dividing the kibble between the cups; using a sheet pan, spreading the kibble out; using a snuffle mat; tossing the kibble into the grass for him to hunt for; making "forage boxes" that he can dig through for his food; using puzzle toys that dispense a few kibbles at a time.
agree with you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts