Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I posted here about a year ago about getting a puppy :) Have been doing tons of readings since then.
We have both have decided to getting a german sheperd puppy.

I am wondering if there is a similar breed that does not shed as much as the german sheperd. Or those of you who have german sheperds, do they actually shed a lot? We had a siamese cat before living in a small apartment, she shed a lot, there were hairballs everywhere, even if you would pick her up, brushing her did not help. Not that it bothered me at all. Just wondering.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
One of the reasons most dogs shed most of the time these days is that they live inside with central heating. If they still lived outside, they'd only shed once or twice a year with the seasons. If you don't want a dog that sheds you're better off with a poodle or something with a similar coat.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Hi all
I am wondering if there is a similar breed that does not shed as much as the german sheperd.
Similar in what way? I think the Rottweiler is similar to the GSD in some ways, but of course, they look nothing like the GSD. And I'm not sure how much they shed.

But if you do get a GSD and commit to brushing him 3-4 times a week (start as a puppy) the hairballs will be minimal.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
MOst dogs with long hair and a double coat like a GSD will shed, in fact all dogs shed to a point (yes even Poodles)

So what traits are you looking for that you like in the GSD?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi all,

What I like about the german sheperd is their high learning ability and intelligence, obedience protectiveness. I also like their size, not too big not too small. And they are also very beautiful.

Similar in what way? I think the Rottweiler is similar to the GSD in some ways, but of course, they look nothing like the GSD. And I'm not sure how much they shed.

But if you do get a GSD and commit to brushing him 3-4 times a week (start as a puppy) the hairballs will be minimal.
3-4 times a week sounds good, i had to brush our siamese everyday, and vacumed twice a week. oh and remove cat hair from my pants before going to work.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Hi all,

What I like about the german sheperd is their high learning ability and intelligence, obedience protectiveness. I also like their size, not too big not too small. And they are also very beautiful.
If thats wat you life in a dog, then wy not a Standard poodle. they are all that minus the shedding.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Hi all,
Doberman, Malinois, Giant Schnauzer, Standard Poodle, Rottwieler. And GSD, of course. If you get a German Shepherd, you'll have to start putting the second H in Shepherd. :D But no matter what breed you decide on, make sure you do lots of research on the health and temperament issues and find a reputable breeder by talking to people here about their views on your possible breeders. :)

The German Shepherd has been my favorite breed all my life, but I would also own any of the above.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you for the information. i have not read anything about the standard poodle yet, so I was reading a little about it now. I did not find any breeders near here.

I have been having an eye on 1 german shepherd breeder. They will have more puppies this summer, the first puppies for this female dog. I was planning of getting one of those.

I will attach pictures, 1st the female, 2nd picture is the male.
What do you think about them? Now I dont know anything about the details or you know what I mean, i know how a german shepherd is supposed to look, but I guess that is all I know. If there is any guro out there? The male looks like he has short hindlegs? Or is it supposed to be like that?

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I couldn't tell anything from the pictures but there are people here who probably could (Xeph, for one). I think the female is gorgeous, but I don't know conformation, so I couldn't say.

What I would look for is the parent's registered names and I would see if they're listed on the Pedigree Database. That way, you can see their hip scores. Also, you would want to ask the breeder a lot of questions about their breeding program. (I'll attach the questions I asked my breeder.)

You might want to contact Xeph and see if she'll have a look at this thread and comment.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Are you completely sold on a young puppy? You may be able to get a young adult or even an older puppy from a breed rescue in the area.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
thank you for your reply.

I found the female on that database.

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/pedigree/460938.html

i could not find the male with the name K-Nindya Feetback though.

Are you completely sold on a young puppy? You may be able to get a young adult or even an older puppy from a breed rescue in the area.
actually not, there is one shelter here. i browse their site everyday to see if a dog that we would be interested in pops up. so i have my eyes open for both. i will be getting a dog after august. and i will go and see them first. my husband wants a puppy, i am open for both, and will drag hubby to the shelter before any final deciscions.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thank you, i forgot about google, lol

That is icelandic, yes i can read that, and that is the website from the breeder. they are beautiful

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I don't speak icelandic....I couldn't find anything about titles on their dogs though.

I'd personally look elsewhere, but I can't say it's an entirely fair assessment as I don't speak much other than English and some German and Italian

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't speak icelandic....I couldn't find anything about titles on their dogs though.

I'd personally look elsewhere, but I can't say it's an entirely fair assessment as I don't speak much other than English and some German and Italian
Hi Xeph, thank you for answering. Can I ask why, or what is the reason that you would look elsewhere? anything that I should watch out for? Thank you Xeph.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Well....#1, where are you located?

#2 Are you dead set on a puppy?
#3 Are you willing to import?

I've seen better conformation in west German dogs, though the lines are well known and popular in the parents. I don't know for sure, but perhaps ISCH means that the dogs are Icelandic champions?

Knowing your locale could help me help you a little better, and there are other people I can ask to help you with breeder referrals :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well....#1, where are you located?

#2 Are you dead set on a puppy?
#3 Are you willing to import?

I've seen better conformation in west German dogs, though the lines are well known and popular in the parents. I don't know for sure, but perhaps ISCH means that the dogs are Icelandic champions?

Knowing your locale could help me help you a little better, and there are other people I can ask to help you with breeder referrals :)
Thank you. I am located in Iceland yes. So I only have very few breeder options. Hubby wants to import because of this. But then the dog has to stay in quarantine for 6 weeks, I looked at the papers for this, and they seem no biggy. Just worried that the dog has to stay in quarantine for that long (if that might coz any future problems). There is a new law now that you can actually visit them in the quarantine, but this quarantine is far away from where we live.

Hubby is more dead set on a puppy or getting a good trained dog instead. If you recommend any breeders I would be happy if you would let me know. Thank you again.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I would research the GSD very carefully. I do not like the roached look of them these days. They didn't look like that when I was a child. The way the seem to have trouble walking cannot be good for their hips. Even back 16 1/2 yrs ago when my son wanted one I don't remember them looking like that.
So you would have to make sure that both parents have been hip & elbow scored. Plus any other genetic tests they may need.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts