Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
There aren't really any decent dog foods at Wal Mart, but I guess if that's all I had to choose from, I'd choose Iams. It's better than Old Roy, Pedigree, Kibbles 'n Bits, etc., for sure! Instead of supplementing his food, why not buy a better brand to start with? Do you have a Tractor Supply in your area? There are some decent foods there that won't break the bank. They have a store brand, called 4Health that's very reasonably priced.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
If I had to chose from the foods available at Wallmart, I would pick Purina One, Iams or Nutrish. To be honest though, you can do just as well on-line, with an upgrade, if you shop carefully. The prices at Wallmart aren't all that great and for $5-$10 more per 30lb bag, you might be able to find a better quality to feed your pup and you may use a little less, depending on the nutritional value and Kcals per serving. Just something to think about. (smaller poop too - lol)

I do dry, with a tblsp of canned mixed in and a splash of warm water.

The link below can help you select foods based on the reviews and ingredients.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

·
Registered
933 Posts
Is there a reason you only want suggestions that can be found at Walmart?? Cause truthfully, most here (including myself) would advise against brands found at Walmart....

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have found that the slightly higher price of quality food is more than recovered by the less amount of food batman eats.

I don't want to seem harsh because I used to feel that all dog food was basically the same and the premium foods were basically gourmet food, but now after having done research I realize that's not the case.

asking for dog food recommendation from walmart is just as bad of a question as if I asked for healthy recommendations but only from gas stations and McDonalds. you just can't get anything that is even decent.

Each dog is different but for a general recommendation it is my opinion that you can't get much better than Blue Buffalo Wilderness.

trust me IT IS WORTH IT!!!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Hmm, Nutrish is OK, although it's expensive! But if Wal-Mart is your only option, that's what I'd go with. If you have an independently-owned feed store or TSC in your area, you could certainly find something better that costs less. Some hardware stores have Diamond Naturals.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Walmart food = crap. I wouldn't own dogs if I had couldn't buy better quality food, do some research on what is really in those foods, and then you will now why I (and others here) feel that way.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Whatever he has been eating. I use Pedigree Puppy Complete Nutrition. If you want to change brands slowly make the transition to the new brand by gradually mixing them together. Here is an article to go by: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=99
There aren't really any decent dog foods at Wal Mart, but I guess if that's all I had to choose from, I'd choose Iams. It's better than Old Roy, Pedigree, Kibbles 'n Bits, etc., for sure! Instead of supplementing his food, why not buy a better brand to start with? Do you have a Tractor Supply in your area? There are some decent foods there that won't break the bank. They have a store brand, called 4Health that's very reasonably priced.
Both Pedigree and Iams are very low quality foods with terrible, species-inappropriate ingredients. I would definitely try to find a tractor supply in your area.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
If I only could choose brands from walmart (really not an ideal place, for me, to get dog food), I would choose between Nutrish, Iams, or Purina One. Everything else there is pretty much crap in a bag, and even those I listed aren't the best but the are the best you are going to find at walmart.

Yeah I agree if you have a TSC, that you should look into 4health.

·
Registered
468 Posts
If there are literally no good foods in your area, I would either order online or do raw. Raw is available anywhere :)

Also, sometimes higher quality food seems more expensive per bag, but it actually isn't because you feed a lot less. A 45 lb bag of pedigree may last a month for example, but a 45 pound bag of 4health could last 1.5-2 months. This is just an example, just sure if it is accurate, but you WILL feed less on a higher quality food.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
If your problem is You only have over priced specialty shops and walmart in your town, try buying online. It didn't occur to me before but I just checked and amazon sells dog food. So I assume other sites do too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts