Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

which one?????

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Lolas_Dad 
#1 ·
hi,
i have some kids and i either want a bicon or a italian greyhound. which one would be better?
thanks so much for reading my ? and for your input

#3 ·
I thinbk both of these breeds are unsuitable for a household with young children. I considered both of these breeds when my daughter was young and ruled them out. There are some fantastic breeds for kids out there. (Iggys are VERY fragile...read breaks bones easily just by jumping off a couch, bichons are tons of grooming)

Give us more info so maybe we can make some suggestions for you.

#6 ·
Have you considered taking your kids to the local animal shelter to meet some dogs? Since you don't seem to be absolutely set on a particular breed,
it would be great if you could give a dog in need a home. Even if you narrow it down to one breed you will find that each dog is different. At the shelter you will find all different breeds of dogs. You just might find one that works for you.

#8 ·
While I agree with that nearly any dog can have child-friendly behavior, I disagree that all dogs are physically suitable for life with a child. My own Clifford, for example, would have been a terrible choice. There was nothing he loved more than people, including small children. He was the most calm, patient, loving dog I have ever met. But he was also extremely clumsy because of his disability. He was also very large, but didn't seem to understand his size or strength. He could have easily tripped and totally flattened a small child.

Now I do realize that all dog/child interactions should be supervised so that things like flattening don't happen and I'm not saying that little kids can't live with big dogs. Still, things like flattening (of child OR dog) are less likely to happen at all when the dog and the child are physically appropriate to each other.

The reason I'm saying all this is because I know that Italian Greyhounds are notoriously fragile. I probably wouldn't have one with kids, especially not ones of an age that would like to play and wrestle with their family pet.

OP, if you answer some more of w8ing4rain's questions, we will be better equipped to help you.

#10 ·
Ok so you have older children are you set on getting a dog from a breeder or is a shelter dog an option ? If you would be open to a shelter dog I strongly suggest reading

Successful Dog Adoption by Sue Sternberg (gives gives you indept advice for finding the perfect shelter dog the first time) you ALWAYS want any dog you are interested in to be heavly temperament tested when coming into a home with children.You do not want any signs of aggression.

If you definitly want the breeder option then I would go with the Bichon Frise (if it is definite between a BF & IG) and try to find a breeder that has puppies that are raised with children from birth OR they have children over on a regular basis.I know many familys that have a BF they are hardy little dogs and really would be better then the more delicate IG.

#11 ·
If you are set on either an Italian Greyhound or a Bichon Frise I would go with the Bichon. Although they do require many trips to the groomer they would probably be more playful for the children. There are a couple people in my family that had/have Bichons and they are really happy go lucky dogs most of the time.

#12 · (Edited)
I would also suggest the shelter route. The kids can interact with the dog and you can see first hand how it will work out. This is also a good way to explore other breeds. Just because a breed might be a good fit for kids does not mean that a particular dog is a good fit. Just do not make a hasty decision on which particular dog you want. Take a look at the shelter dogs, interact with them as a family then decide as a family on which particular dog is best. When owning a dog it is the family's responsibility to take care of the dog, play with the dog, feed the dog, take the dog out for potty breaks and walks. It is not just one person in the family's responsibility.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.