Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1)
Lamb meal, ground rice, ground corn, poultry fat, fish meal, beet pulp, whole dried eggs, ground flaxseed, natural flavours, potassium chloride, salt, vitamins (vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, vitamin K, vitamin C, thiamin B1, riboflavin B2, pyridoxine B6, vitamin B12, pantothenic acid, niacin, biotin, folic acid, inositol, ß-carotene), choline chloride, minerals (zinc oxide, zinc proteinate, iron sulphate, iron proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese oxide, manganese proteinate, calciumiodate, sodiumselenite), DL-methionine, L-lysin, Yucca schidigera extract. Naturally protected with vitamins C and E and rosemary extract.

2)Salmon (22%), rice (22%), dehydrated salmon protein (15%), maize, maize gluten, animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), hydrolysed digest, beet pulp, purified cellulose fibre, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, sodium chloride, minerals. Cupric sulphate (copper = 12 mg/kg), zinc sulphate (zinc = 180 mg/kg). Antioxidant: tocopherol rich extracts of natural origin.

Which one would you choose?Why?
(please no other recommendations and holistic,natural foods....)
:D

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I'd choose 1. Two protein sources is good, even though the fish is somewhere further down the line...#1 also has NAMED meat and fat sources #2 does not. And while i am not a fan of corn in dog food, #1 uses the whole corn and not just it's by-product.
Overall, #1 has better ingredients than #2...just be careful if your dog has an allergy to corn. ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first one is Techni-Cal Lamb & Rice.
The second one is Purina Pro Plan Salmon & Rice.

I thought that the first one has better ingredients...Does it worth to switch? I'm on the first bag of Pro Plan... :x

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I'd choose 1. Two protein sources is good, even though the fish is somewhere further down the line...#1 also has NAMED meat and fat sources #2 does not. And while i am not a fan of corn in dog food, #1 uses the whole corn and not just it's by-product.
Overall, #1 has better ingredients than #2...just be careful if your dog has an allergy to corn. ;)
I've a couple questions.

In #1
Isn't fish meal considered an "unspecified meat sources"?

Isn't poultry fat considered an "unspecified fat source"?

I also wondered why it is good to be feeding 2 protein sources. I don't think its bad or anything I just wonder on what the benefits would be. I feed foods like that with 2-3 sources. I see more of a benefit in rotating with kibble that has different protein sources it just happens that sometimes it has 2-3 like duck, chicken and turkey or salmon in the same food.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I've a couple questions.

In #1
Isn't fish meal considered an "unspecified meat sources"?

Isn't poultry fat considered an "unspecified fat source"?
Yes, you are correct. Now where did I put my glasses? :eek:

I also wondered why it is good to be feeding 2 protein sources. I don't think its bad or anything I just wonder on what the benefits would be. I feed foods like that with 2-3 sources. I see more of a benefit in rotating with kibble that has different protein sources it just happens that sometimes it has 2-3 like duck, chicken and turkey or salmon in the same food.
2 or more protein sources = more protein from MEAT in the food. That's why I think it's good. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've a couple questions.

cats are obligate carnivores, whereas dogs are opportunistic carnivores, there for protein should be derived from meat sources, not grain. The more meat sources you have the higher the "meat protein" is.

Also remember the only way ANY source of animal products can get on your pet food (ie, road kill, cat, dog, canary...etc)is if the ingredient says animal fat, meat, or bone meal. those three terms equals anything....yikes.

·
Registered
500 Posts
cats are obligate carnivores, whereas dogs are opportunistic carnivores, there for protein should be derived from meat sources, not grain. The more meat sources you have the higher the "meat protein" is.

Also remember the only way ANY source of animal products can get on your pet food (ie, road kill, cat, dog, canary...etc)is if the ingredient says animal fat, meat, or bone meal. those three terms equals anything....yikes.
Yeah, try to stick with named animal fats.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Yes, you are correct. Now where did I put my glasses? :eek:

2 or more protein sources = more protein from MEAT in the food. That's why I think it's good. :)
Thanks for your answers. :)

Yes I know what my dogs should eat, I don't add grains, veggies or fruit to their meat. I was asking why in a commercial food 2 or more meat sources would be desirable.

The more meat sources you have only means there is more then 1 type of animal, not more actual meat in the food. Multi sources could be the same amount of meat. Within a single brand some foods have more or less. The way to find out what % of meat is in a food is to check the website, ask a rep (who don't always know), email/call the company or talk to the nutritionist for the company. I don't leave it to guess work or assumptions myself.

I know the AAFCO definitions, but thanks anyway.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Seems to me it is better for the minerals to come from more than one source. Sulphates are cheap and I don't think very well absorbed - wouldn't they contribute to really good stinky gas episodes? I vote for the first food. Not a fan of "hydrolysed digest" or "purified cellulose fibre" either.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks for your answers. :)

Yes I know what my dogs should eat, I don't add grains, veggies or fruit to their meat. I was asking why in a commercial food 2 or more meat sources would be desirable.

The more meat sources you have only means there is more then 1 type of animal, not more actual meat in the food. Multi sources could be the same amount of meat. Within a single brand some foods have more or less. The way to find out what % of meat is in a food is to check the website, ask a rep (who don't always know), email/call the company or talk to the nutritionist for the company. I don't leave it to guess work or assumptions myself.

I know the AAFCO definitions, but thanks anyway.
two or meat sources would be desirable because when the analysis of the dog food says(for example) 24%, you know that the majority of that precentage is derived form meat protein.

The two or more protein sources can be chicken, chicken meal...or they can be chicken, turkey, or venison, lamb, etc. Either way two or more consecutive meat ingredients(within the first five) are preferred.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts