Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chicken Meal, Wheat Flour, Ground Whole Wheat, Corn Gluten Meal, Rice Bran, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Ground Rice, Chicken, Natural Flavors, Sodium Bicarbonate, Calcium Carbonate, Monosodium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Potassium Carbonate, Yeast Culture, L-Lysine, Salt, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Oxide, Dried Kelp, Lecithin, Garlic Flavor, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Riboflavin (source of Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity).

Chicken, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of vitamin E, and Citric Acid), Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin E Supplement, DL-Methionine, Ascorbic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Cobalt Carbonate.

Chicken, brewers rice, whole grain corn, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal, whole grain wheat, beef tallow preserved with mixedtocopherols (source of Vitamin E), natural flavors, dicalcium phosphate, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, riboflavin supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.

Just looking for opinions from seasoned label readers...There are three brands that are pretty comparable in price that I am thinking of switching to.

I am currently feeding Ol'Roy and just realized that I should be feeding ALOT more Ol'Roy than I and my backyard am comfortable with.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
#2 has the most meat. That would be my pick. Is it Maxximum?

is #3 Purina ONE?

LOL, that's what reading every label at Wal-Mart will do to a person. Although I don't recognize #1 right off.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Honestly, thats a search of the lesser evils. All those foods scare me, unidentified meat products, by-products, corn, heavy wheat content. What is the price of each of the 3 listed foods, I bet there is a better food out there for the same price, and someone here (in your area) might be able to help you out. As you appear to know, if it's a better food, you can feed less, so even though it may cost a little more, you could break even.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I believe the OP is experiencing financial issues just now and needs a less expensive food until things get better.

Although, yes, there are better foods that are less expensive than Maxximum, but availability might be a concern. If I were low on $$$, I'd go with Diamond Naturals. It's surprisingly inexpensive for the quality. A lot cheper than Maxximum.

If you can't find that and have to stick with a Wal-Mart food, I'd suggest plain ol' Purina Dog Chow. All the dogs I know who eat that are doing great.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I believe the OP is experiencing financial issues just now and needs a less expensive food until things get better.
This I understood... was just giving my opinion on the foods listed, and wondering what the price of them would be. It's hard to know which one is the best value without knowing what the price would be. Also, I too have just gone through a financially tight time with my SO losing her job 1 day before Xmas, so I know what the OP is going through. When I was looking at food for my dog, I found that the difference in price between an 'okay' food, and a 'great' food, depending where bought, differed as little as $0.20 a day. Which is only $6 a month or $73 for the year, which isn't that much when you compare to every other expense a pet brings.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
By any chance, do you have a Costco membership? They sell Kirkland there, and it's cheap, and has much better ingredients. Around here it's $25 for a 40lb bag. It's what I feed when I'm having financial problems.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
When I was looking at food for my dog, I found that the difference in price between an 'okay' food, and a 'great' food, depending where bought, differed as little as $0.20 a day. Which is only $6 a month or $73 for the year, which isn't that much when you compare to every other expense a pet brings.

Excellent point.

I recommend looking into something better than the three you listed. Canidae is good and reasonably priced. I can get a 44lb. bag of it here for about $40. + tax and that will feed my SEVEN dogs (totaling about 250 lbs. of dog) for about half a month.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have tried Canidae in the past...my two did not have good results with it. Lots of loose poos!

I wish I had a Costco nearby, but we only have BJ's around here.

I am pretty much limited to Walmart, Petco and Petsmart for dog food.

BTW: #1 is Nutro Maxx, #2 is Iams, #3 Purina One

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I was looking at Petco the other day and they've really upped the variety of dog foods they sell, at least here. Might be worth checking out.

ETA: just about anything is a step up from Ol Roy, too.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
I personally would go with anything that has no by products/by product meal. If money is an issue, have you looked at feeds such as Canidae? I know it recently went through some changes that some didnt' like but it would be better than Ole Roy. What about asking at a pet store that sells Innova/Evo/Cal Natural is they can get Healthwise? It is made by NaturaPet, which makes the above but very nicely priced. I believe my son pays $35 for 35lbs. If that is too much money, I'd suggest looking at Purina ProPlan or ONE and finding one that has no byproducts.
Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm..I had never heard of Healthwise. I did a search and there are actually two stores near me that carry it. 35$ for 35lbs isn't too bad. I was hoping for something a little bit cheaper, due to our current financial woes...but my dogs health is more important, so we will try to make cuts elsewhere. I really wish there was a Costco nearby...the closet is more than 50 miles away...

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Our Petco carries Blue Buffalo, Solid Gold, Natural Balance and Wellness, which I rotate between with Canidae, Natura, California Naturals, Evangers and Taste of the Wild (also available in my town from feed stores and private pet stores). Nutro Natural Choice (Ultra) and Nature's Recipe are also available at my Petco and I think either would be better than Nutro Max, Iams or Purina One. From Petsmart you can get Blue Buffalo and Nutro Natural Choice (Ultra). You could always try raw (either whole or in part) if you're wanting to stay under $1. a pound.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
Hmm..I had never heard of Healthwise. I did a search and there are actually two stores near me that carry it. 35$ for 35lbs isn't too bad. I was hoping for something a little bit cheaper, due to our current financial woes...but my dogs health is more important, so we will try to make cuts elsewhere. I really wish there was a Costco nearby...the closet is more than 50 miles away...
Glad I mentioned it! Around here, alot of stores carry foods by NaturaPets, but not Healthwise. My son had his dogs on Canidae but they wanted to change and they found a place that is now carrying it, since they asked for it. A buck a pound for a somewhat quality food is very good, these days. I understand if money is tight but if you want a better food, this is about the best price for something decent. My sons dogs are doing well on it, so...Good luck and keep us posted, okay?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I was looking at Petco the other day and they've really upped the variety of dog foods they sell, at least here. Might be worth checking out.
Yep, my Petco here carries Pinnacle, Natural Balance, and Solid Gold. And that’s just what I can remember off the top of my head. Isn't Natural Balance pretty reasonable?

Have you tried any feed stores? They might have a better selection. And I've never been to a feedstore that didn't carry diamond naturals. In fact, my feed store sells TOTW for $37.99.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
This I understood... was just giving my opinion on the foods listed, and wondering what the price of them would be. It's hard to know which one is the best value without knowing what the price would be. Also, I too have just gone through a financially tight time with my SO losing her job 1 day before Xmas, so I know what the OP is going through. When I was looking at food for my dog, I found that the difference in price between an 'okay' food, and a 'great' food, depending where bought, differed as little as $0.20 a day. Which is only $6 a month or $73 for the year, which isn't that much when you compare to every other expense a pet brings.
I know where this person is coming from. Not only it is such a inconvenience to drive 15 mins to the healthy pet shop to grab a bag which some are at least few hours of the way, or not even the case the human grade quality dog foods are pricey/hard to find. I'd just maybe go with Natural Recipe, Taste Of Wild, Kirkland, WellnessMixSuper5 are ones you can find easily at your local pet store such as petsmart/petco/Big R if you have

·
Registered
509 Posts
If I had to pick from these three -- I would go with #2 -- after alot of research on Dog Foods -- I've read that the best are ones with Poultry/Meat or Fish as a First Ingredient & never anything called Gluten!

:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts