Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that my pup is a little sensitive to something in her treats. When she has one, her next poop is always soft, and in the past week, we have gone from a treat making her poop a little soft to having a proper poo in the morning, then having a treat mid-morning, then having completely liquid stool in the afternoon!!

We are currently assuming that it is something in the treat, as it only seems to happen after she has had one. I am just wondering if anyone has any idea what ingredient is the most likely culprit? We do want to find a different treat option, but don't really want to spend lots of money (and have an upset tummy!) going through brand after brand trying to figure it out!

They are limited ingredient organic puppy treats.

Ingredients are (basically - I don't want to go grab the bag as she is sleeping and it will wake her up as I am typing, but I checked this morning): Potato, Duck, Molasses, Hickory smoke, Rosemary extract.

We are thinking it may be the sugar in the molasses, or maybe that the duck is too rich for her? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Where are these treats made? There have been serious health issues with treats made in China recently.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
What is the name of these treats?

the molasses could be it, or it could be the rosemary, but really it could be any of those ingredients.

·
Banned
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, there was one ingredient that I forgot - canola oil.

They are natures balance, and used to be made in the us, but now they just say made "for" the company in the us, and I can't find any info on where they are actually made. Grrrr.

In any case, we took her off them, and she went back to normal poops - awesome!

We then went and bought some Dog Whisperer beef liver treats - 100% beef liver, made in the US. Hopefully that will fix the issue

·
Registered
509 Posts
It's probably the rosemary - I've heard it's not that good for dogs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your post said the brand is "natures balance" -- do you mean "Natural Balance" the brand owned by **** Van Patten or a different brand? I feed my two aussies Natual Balance Limited Ingredient dry and canned food (Venison and Potato) and have very good results. I also restrict their treats - nothing from China or Mexico since the mass petfood contamination, and nothing containing grains or corn fillers. No people food although they're allowed to have fresh fruits and veggies - which they love.

Just as some people can't eat spicy foods, onions, or garlic - dogs are no different. My husband's family had a lab who became very sick from potatoes. I had an Irish setter who ate a 1 lb box of chocolates without a problem, as well as a whole batch of choc chip cookies, proving that not all dog's have a problem with chocolate.

Try buying the freeze dried liver treats for your dog - pure liver, no additives.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts