Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems all of them have drugs MDr1 dogs are not good with. Our dog is mutant/non-mutant. What do you use?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
This is a discussion you should have with your vet since he/she will have to deal with any side effects

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vet didn't know much about mdr1 so it's up to me to do research... All heartworm meds have sensitivity. I just wonder what other rough collie owners use? It's between Revolution and Interceptor now for me.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
At the doses used for heartworm prevention, any one of them should be safe especially for a non-mutant/mutant. Personally I don't trust topical heartworm medications like Revolution.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I would discuss it with your vet - although (and I am NOT a vet) I believe most oral heartworm medications are safe for MDR1 breeds - as I discussed this with my previous vet (before we moved) and he said she would be fine on heartworm meds (this is when her status was unknown).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the list of known problem drugs from the WSU website: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/drugs.aspx

Ivermectin, selamectin, milbemycin, and moxidectin are the relevant drugs for heartworm prevention.
Yeah all the meds are on the list! But I talked to the breeder. Mom-dog (dame) is a mutant/mutant but did great with Interceptor, so we will purchase that brand. She says now as an adult they use shots, but I have no idea what shots there are against heartworm (must be sort of like a 3 months medicine shot or so).

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Yes. dogs were having reactions to it. Took it off the market and and did some tweaking. Ran test/studies galore and now it is back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts