Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I know this sounds like a crazy question, and it probably is, but I'm desperately trying to do anything I can for my little dog. He was hit by a car last Friday, and spent three nights at the vet. Miraculously, he didn't have any broken bones, but he is very wobbly now, and the vet says he has suffered a head injury. At first, I thougt, oh, thank God he didn't break his back, or suffer inoperable internal injuries. But, as the vet said, a head trauma is really almost as bad.

He is still my cute little Oliver, but his personality is gone...no more silly antics, no more happy face, and it is heartbreaking. But, I'm determined to try everything to give him as good a chance as possible to improve. As with head injuries in general, its difficult to say whether he will improve a little bit more over time, or perhaps, with a miracle, even progress a lot more. I really love the little rascal, and miss his cheerful, happy spirit so much.

I'm sorry to ramble so much, but I wanted to ask if anyone had any ideas on what foods might encourage his brain to heal, and be better all aound for him while he's recuperating. He curls his little front paw under himself a lot now, and is just generally weak, and dazed. He does have a good appetite, and has been drinking more water than I've ever seen him drink before, probably as a result of the steroids and other medications he was on while at the vet. Right now, he just takes one pain tablet each day, for the next 10 days I believe. He is, unfortunately, a picky little fella about food, and right now, I don't have the heart to play hardball with him about his food habits.

Thank you so much for any ideas.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Oh, poor little guy! I would buy canned food and I would get the best quality ones. Not having FED canned food I suggest going through some of the top rated ones on dogfoodanalylsis.http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/index.php/cat/10My dogs prefer chunks and canned come in all sorts of textures so somebody that feeds canned food might know more. The 6 star foods are meat only and not complete diets so start with the 5 star foods. No point in possibly missing something really important for the sake of a completely subjective star.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kathyy, thank you so much for your reply, and for sharing the link to the dog food analysis site. That's very helpful, and Oliver and I appreciate it. I'm really concerned about him, and am just hoping he can get somewhat back to his "old" little self again one day.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Wow. I am sorry to hear your dog was hurt and has a head injury. I don't think there is a food that can repair a brain. You can nurish it, I have heard fish oil is good for the brain.

Keep us updated on your little ones progress. Good luck

·
Registered
388 Posts
I so sorry for your little guy, that's a tough thing to deal with!
I would recommend Innova Flex. It is a fairly new canned product, the food is extremely palatable and has 125% of the vitamins and minerals that your dog needs. It can be fed alone, with dry food or with home cooked or raw. It's pretty stew-like, and is filled with excellet ingredients.

From the Innova website:
Innova Flex™ Stew

Innova Flex stew gives you more options in how you feed your dog or cat. Packed with fresh ingredients from the five food groups and 125% of every essential nutrient, Innova Flex provides complete and balanced nutrition in every lip-smacking bite.

http://www.innovapet.com/

Here's to a speedy recovery for Oliver!

·
Registered
105 Posts
DHA supports healthy brain function and can be found in fish oil supplements. (im not sure if you can buy straight fish oil?)...

DHA is shorthand for docosahexaenoic acid. This omega-3 long chain fatty acid is the primary building block of the brain and retina of the eye. The brain is 60% fat, and DHA is the most abundant fatty acid in the brain, comprising 25-35%. DHA is found in even greater concentrations - 50-60% - in the retina. DHA is critical for infant development. Compelling research links DHA to the rapid cerebral and eye development that occurs during pregnancy and in the first few months after birth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts