Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
i want a medium sized dog, that is a non shedder, doesn't piddle and good with kids.
does anyone have a suggestion?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
when i say piddle i mean pees inside the house or pees when excited
In general, while there ARE breeds that are harder to house train (most are toy breeds and a few hounds), housetraining is ENTIRELY dependent on the owner's commitment. Although there are some few dogs that have physiological or mental problems that make housebreaking them impossible, they're very uncommon.

On submissive urination, there IS a genetic componnent, but it can also be a personality issue. I would avoid the spaniel breeds and look for a dog who is confident and not overly submissive but also not excessively pushy. Spay incontinence is more common in females, so I would look for a male dog.

More specifically, I'd look at miniature poodles, some of the medium-sized terriers (particularly the Soft-coated Wheaton Terrier), and the larger end of the size range for Bolognase and Havanese.

·
Registered
357 Posts
hi,
i want a medium sized dog, that is a non shedder, doesn't piddle and good with kids.
does anyone have a suggestion?
I agree the poodle and the portugese water dog are great with kids and are non shedders. Not to mention that Portugese water dogs love to swim and so do poodles. Make sure you buy from a responsible and reputable breeder. Good Luck in finding your dog.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I would also add that no dogs are naturally 'good with kids'; there are differences in trainability, but all dogs need to be socialized and trained with children to learn proper manners. Puppies tend to nip and bite, and adult dogs tend to be 'size-stupid', and can unwittingly overwhelm a kid with affection.

What energy level are you looking for? What kind of exercise do you expect to give? Realistically, don't expect much help from the kids; assume that it's going to be Mom & Dad who walk, clean up, and train the dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts