Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my wife live in a very small apartment in a big city.
My wife is currently unemployed so she has time to devote, in the future we will need to share the responsibility.
We do not have kids.
We do not have a garden (there are green areas for dog walking nearby)

We are looking for a dog taht would de suitable for us:
we look for a dog that would be:
- confortable in the very limited space of our small flat;
- very very very sweet and affectionate;
- very very very sociable with other dogs and with people in general;
- that is not aggressive at all;
- not barks a lot;
- not too diffcult to groom and take care of.

Please wich breed do you suggest?
Thanks
MP

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
What kind of activity level is your household? How much time per day will you commit to exercising the dog?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Puppies will have a lot of energy and you can only guess at their personality as adults (plus you will have to do all the housebreaking and training). Maybe you should look at rescues in your area for an older dog (4 and up). Their personalities are pretty set by then so you can choose specific traits like gentleness and no aggression/prey drive. They also usually dont need as much exercise, lots of dogs won't be satisfied with just walking each day, make sure you choose a lower energy breed or the dog will find other ways of getting a workout (chewing the couch etc).

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I second an adult rescue. I would contact rescues in your area (you can go to petfinder.com and put in your zip code) and tell them what you told us. They foster their dogs, so they have a good idea of their dogs' exercise needs and personalities. If you're not in the US and don't have rescues where you live, I would suggest the more traditional "lap dogs". These are the dogs bred for companionship. They tend to be more comfortable in smaller spaces and their needs are more based around being with their owner as opposed to hunting or guarding.

Examples would be miniature poodles, bichons, havanese, etc.

I would stay away from herding breeds (border collies, aussies, etc.) and large guardian breeds, like the Great Pyrenees. Don't discount larger dogs, though. Greyhounds are supposed to have a nice off switch indoors and I've heard Great Danes are surprisingly nice in apartments.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
A 3-5 yo Lab or Golden can adapt, sleeping during the day, thriving on two walks a day, and cuddling in the evening.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I second the KC Cav recommendation or any small spaniel. They get enough exercise just going out on short pee-pee walks, are very congenial usually and stay close, not running off. Any small spaniel, field spaniel, or clumber spaniel, ENGLISH cocker spaniel, etc. would be good too.

There is a video I love of an Eng cocker walking with her people. She acts exactly like my best dog ever, an AM Cocker. She would range out a little bit in a situation like this, but you could always call her back to a close, working heel. And she was a perfect lady around other animals.
http://youtu.be/CELUvWa63Lw
I would not recommend Am cockers now, tho. There are all kinds of health problems and yes, temperament problems too. They were my fav. breed, but even I don't know where you could get a good one now. The Clumber was considered a "gentleman's hunting dog". A good hunter but without so much energy , a dog an older gentleman can easily keep up with, and yet with a good nose and all the Spaniel hunting equipment - soft mouth, etc. My last 3 dogs have been non-spaniels and I've been shocked at how hard they are to deal with compared to spaniels. With them, once house training is over, and basic commands learned, you are basicly done and have a great dog that easily fits into your life. I found with my other 4 breeds, I had to adjust my life to them, not the other way around, like it had been with spaniels. I'll be going back to them someday.

(I would not recommend a Brittany or Setter or Pointer, tho. Too high energy for what you want)

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I agree that a cavalier would be good, but they can have some major health issues, so you'd have to be very careful choosing a breeder.

How about a shih tzu? They fit almost all of your requirements... you would need to get the hair clipped every once in a while, though. Japanese Chin or Pug could be another good choice if you like that look. General breed temperament is only part of the picture, however; you'll need to socialize any dog you get to make sure it grows up confident and friendly. :)

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I would say Pug, Cavalier if you don't mind shedding. Both are minimal in regards to grooming, but do shed. Poodles, Havanese, Shihztu also come to mind, but they do need clipped every once in a while, but most keep in a puppy cut for very low maintenance. They were the first breeds that popped into my head.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts