Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 18 week old Brittany pup. Not my first pup but definitely my most challenging pup. We are taking an obedience class. The trainer recommends a slip collar. My pup is very distractible and pulls, pulls, pulls. We are working on it. I have him in a regular collar. What do you all recommend for a collar?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
For a young puppy I would only be comfortable using a flat buckle collar, a martingale or a harness.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
at that age I would recommend a head halter to prevent trachea damage and high value treats to encourage the puppy to put it's focus where you want it. I would never put a slip chain on a puppy.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply. He is in a flat buckle collar. Can you tell me if a martingale might help? He pulls very hard.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Neither a flat buckle collar nor a martingale will stop the dog from pulling, and both will cause trachea damage if the dog pulls too hard for too long. You need to train the dog an attention command.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
A martingale wont prevent him from pulling. You need to train him not to pull. If it's an issue of you not being able to control him because he's too strong you could try the front clip harness. It will prevent him from pulling but it's just a tool, you still need to work on training loose leash walking.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol, haven't found the right treat yet and believe me I am reading everything I can find on this forum. Had to laugh when I realized at this week's class i was competing with a FLY and losing. I had zukes, hot dog, cheese, and dried liver. He really wanted the fly.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Puppies can be easily distracted. He may do better with a different reward like a toy but it might not matter what you have if there are too many distractions for him. I recommend doing lots of practice at home and then slowly adding distractions outside of class time. I wouldn't expect 100% from a puppy in a puppy class anyway. These classes are more for training the owners than anything else.

Does he walk well on leash outside of class? How about at home when there are no distractions? If he doesn't know what you expect of him in a low distraction environment it will be even harder to get him to do what you want in a high distraction environment. Keep practicing :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He does very well at home but not so well with lots of distractions. I have started stopping and standing still until he stops pulling. He will eventually sit but he doesn't get it yet.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If you find a reward he really loves that will help but you need to build up slowly to distractions. If he's great at home when it's quiet then start getting someone to make some distracting noises and movements for you, then take it to the yard, add more distractions there, walk him to the end of the driveway, to the end of the block, around the block etc. until he's paying attention to you no matter whats going on or where he is.

The "be a tree" technique is good. It may take him some time to get the message but he'll click eventually.

You might try looking up "silky leash" I really like that technique personally.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
(...) i was competing with a FLY and losing. I had zukes, hot dog, cheese, and dried liver. He really wanted the fly.
It's not only what you 'have' for treats, it's how you 'apply' them too.

Especially in the case of a puppy, I would suggest using a VERY HIGH "rate of reinforcement" for his first few classes, ..... if you're not doing so already.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts