Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to post in the general dog forum, but can't so hopefully this will do. I have been searching the temperament and care requirements for breeds, yet I have not been able to find a pooch that fits. This is the care I can give and what traits I am looking for:
-medium size, 20-50 lbs.
-apartment living for the next 1-2 years, then barring losing my job, a small house with 2-4 acres to be preferably electric fenced so they can have room of the whole property, if not an area the size of about a full basketball court fenced in
-daily routine:
10 minute walk between 6-6:30 a.m.
I will leave for work
Then either me, or a walker will give the dog a 10 minute walk at midday.
I or walker, will then leave until a 20-30 minutes non-stop exercise (fetch, speed
walk/jog, dog park, etc) between 4:30-6
10 minutes training
10 minute walk between 10-11 p.m.
-the ability to be off leash for hiking/camping and at dog park
-I am single (most likely will stay single), yet when I will not be home for long stretches in evenings I will have a dog sitter the majority of the time.
-OK with kids and other dogs.
-little to moderate barking
-trainable for the basics, plus jogging, and possible flushing (this is not a necessity)
-shedding no more than moderate

I know the list isn't short, yet I do not want to put a dog or myself in a position that doesn't fit. I have found many near fits, such as greyhounds, yet they can't be off leash and are sight hounds, or beagles, yet they can't be off leash and can be loud, or the Askal which seem impossible to find in the U.S.A., etc. I have researched for weeks, yet nothing. I have also contemplated finding a young mutt at a pound, and spending as much time with it before I make a decisions, yet that seems too risky because you don't know which dogs are in making that dog up, and they can act differently once brought into the new environment. Maybe there is someone out there who knows a breed(s), or can give sound advice. Thank you

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would stick with a mutt imo. If it's a young dog then how you raise and train it will help with how they behave once they grow up, and even pure breed dogs have there issues, often times have even more health issues actually from what I have come across.
If you go to a good shelter or rescue then those people are around the dogs all the time and know there personally, so often times they are rather good with helping find a match (speaking from experience since I worked at a humain society)
All I own is mutts and I would say rescued is the best breed out there lol

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well, you don't want a high energy or double coated breed. Maybe a lab mix, they like to be outdoors but, being mixed with a lazier type breed would make the dog equally content in the apartment.

Visit shelters, see what they have and, spend a little time with the interesting dogs there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was in your position not too long ago. I wanted that dog that fit perfectly in our family. For us, that meant a lower energy, well socialized dog who wouldn’t require too much upkeep health/grooming wise. I put that in google, and got all kinds of breeds that would “fit”. I dedicated a lot of time researching, because the last thing that I wanted was to get a dog and it not work out. Unfortunately, that’s what happened. Fast forward five years and three “trial runs” later, I finally have the perfect dog. I found my dog when I gave up. I had come to the conclusion that maybe I wasn’t a dog person after all... oh, no! The truth was, I was relying too much on what breed I needed, and not looking at the dog itself. One day I took my daughter to the local shelter to waste time, and there was the sweetest dog I had ever seen. She wasn’t barking or jumping around like the others, so I told my daughter we could give her a break from her kennel and take her for a walk. Looking at her, I knew she wasn’t what I “needed”. She had a double coat of fur that was shedding like crazy, and since they had little to no info on her history, I just knew she’d be a nightmare to train. I decided to give it one more shot and took her home for the week trial run and we have now adopted her! My dog has been perfect with our kids. She’s never had one accident in the house. Within two weeks I taught her how to sit, stay and come with very little effort. Plus, she’s just the sweetest thing.

I would recommend going to a shelter where they let you look at all the dogs and test possible candidates out in your home. You may not find a full bred dog there, but you may find what works for you! My mutt has been the most well behaved and best fit for our family, even better than the full bred dogs we tried out. Research how to choose a dog based off body language before you choose one, that will help tremendously!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, you don't want a high energy or double coated breed. Maybe a lab mix, they like to be outdoors but, being mixed with a lazier type breed would make the dog equally content in the apartment.

Visit shelters, see what they have and, spend a little time with the interesting dogs there.
agreed, always adopt!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts