Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after moving to the city and settling into my new apt, I was trying to decide what type of apt-friendly dog to adopt... after some research, the two breeds I narrowed it down to are either an Iggy or a Tibbie... ( I have owned & cared for many types of dogs and pets before, but never either of these specific breeds). for those of you who are/were owners of either (Iggies and/or Tibbies) which do you think would be a better choice?

( Note: I am an experienced dog and pet owner. In the past my family and I have owned and fostered many breeds, as well as strays. However, since I am living on my own now, I only want one dog of my own. My apartment allows dogs and there is a dog park two blocks from where I live. My work is freelance, and I do the majority of my work from home. I have no children and no other pets).

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
It would be helpful if you explained what type of activities you imagine yourself to be doing with the dog, how much exercise you want to give, what type of a personality you expect in your dog, etc.

Generally Italian Greyhounds and Tibetan Spaniels are both pretty easygoing breeds. Both would be fine for an apartment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 5-month old Tibetan Spaniel, my first time with the breed so I am far from an expert. Tibbies are a lot of fun, very merry and playful and intelligent if not particularly cooperative. They have a very busy agenda of their own to attend to each day, and your wishes will be incidental to that. They are small though, so easy to handle. I'm told they can be barky since they were bred as watchdogs, but I haven't observed that in my own yet. They are very cat-like in their behavior, and also tend to get along well with cats. This is Boji and his cat Belfry:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beautiful! :bounce: Thanks so much for sharing & for the insight! I appreciate it!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I have a 5-month old Tibetan Spaniel, my first time with the breed so I am far from an expert. Tibbies are a lot of fun, very merry and playful and intelligent if not particularly cooperative. They have a very busy agenda of their own to attend to each day, and your wishes will be incidental to that. They are small though, so easy to handle. I'm told they can be barky since they were bred as watchdogs, but I haven't observed that in my own yet. They are very cat-like in their behavior, and also tend to get along well with cats. This is Boji and his cat Belfry:

Great picture! A Tibetan spaniel is on my "when I'm older' list!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts