Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I am doing all my research into finding our life time companion for my Husband and I
We have just came back from travelling Australia for nearly 2 years now back home we plan on doing some extensions which include putting up a front fence
Hopefully this will take place before the end of this year
That is when i will be able to get our new baby i cant wait
I decided last year i wanted a collie rough as i had a collie as a child for 15 yrs and i adored her
We also had a border collie but i was only a baby at the time so i don't remember him much. I started doing my research on Lilac Border Collies.
That was on monday, at first i was sold until i became worrried that i may not be able to exercise her enough?
We are fairly energetic and love to go for walks, we live very close to national park & beaches
Yesterday i started to research Bearded Collies
Now i am torn between the three
Any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Hello and welcome, oh BC's are just so much fun!, i have one a tri girl called Holly, she is not a lazy dog, she plays for at least 2hours a day, as we are coming into summer it is nearly 3, sometimes over this, my auntie has one aswell, and her dog is lazy well for a BC anyway, she gets no more than an hour a day and this suits Poppy, i must say though Holly is from a working background and Poppy is not so maybe that is why my dog is active and Poppy isn't, i have no idea about the two other breeds though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Vicky, thank you for that info, i kinda think that an hour or so of running up the beach & chasing after a frisbee will be enough daily or most days anyway!!!
Especially along with all the other activies that go on throughout a normal day!
I am lucky i have a fair bit of time to keep researching, then i will need to find a really good breeder!
Holly is such a pretty name for a canine or human, my nieces name is Holly!! :)
One thing is for sure i have picked my girls name already & wow that was hard!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Rough collies require a lot of grooming, so that might be something to consider. Also the collies do have some health issues, collie eye for one is pretty much in the breed, not sure how it affects them overall but it is there. Not sure about bearded collies and grooming but I don't think they're quite as bad.

For border collies, it depends on what you get as far as grooming goes, but my two have different coats and so far have not been too much trouble in the grooming department. Be sure when you are looking that you look for a breeder who focuses on health first, and if you get the right colour it's a bonus. Most of the 'lilac' breeders are usually not that ethical, it's a pretty colour but if they are focusing on that rare colour it's concerning that they aren't focused on health.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Be sure when you are looking that you look for a breeder who focuses on health first, and if you get the right colour it's a bonus. Most of the 'lilac' breeders are usually not that ethical, it's a pretty colour but if they are focusing on that rare colour it's concerning that they aren't focused on health.
Yes, this! It's tricky obtaining a BC from a good breeder. The best breeders work stock with their dogs, and want their progeny to do the same. Not-so-great breeders don't care. This is obviously a generalization, but don't be surprised if you run into some sourpus breeders if you're looking for a pet BC. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), shelters and rescues are chock full of BC's because they often don't make great pets and people give them up. The bottom line is, if it's the look of the breed that's attracting you (which I'm thinking it might be, since you want a lilac?), then it's probably best to choose another breed.

One more thing: Don't assume that walking/running/frisbee chasing is going to be enough exercise for a BC. That's probably enough PHYSICAL exercise, but BC's are famous for needing MENTAL exercise. They need to think on a daily basis, which means you need to provide mentally challenging activities. Mine competes in two canine sports, and we dabble in a third. If this sounds like something you'd be into, then by all means...if not, then reconsider.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was at first sold on the colour (Lilac), but that would not be the main reason i would consider a border...I love their intelligence, which to me far out weigh's their look, i am always up for mental stimulation, as is my husband! :))
I love Rough Collies only because i know them, (well my one anyway) Yep they require lots of grooming but again i have lots of spare time!!
I work at a local aged care facility on weekends, and one my residents family came in with her ipad full of pics of their Border Collies, that is how i became to start resarching them!
Oh well i will keep doing my research & i am glad i have joined this forum because every bit of info is useful...Thank you!
I am glad i have a fair bit of time before deciding which breed would be happy with us and us with her!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts