Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am hoping to get a another dog mid next year as long as I have a good enough job to support two dogs. I am looking for some specific things in a dog, it doesnt have to be pure bred. I really like the bernese mountain dog but I dont know if that is the right dog for me until later on in life.
So the things I am looking for are
1) Loves to run and work and is strong enough to help pull me.
2) Easy to train and is intelligent
3) Preferably not very hyper, it doesnt have to be super calm but I dont want a nut
4) I want a long haired dog
5) Good with livestock and other animals, so not a hunting dog.
6) Not very vocal although if it was it wouldnt be a problem.
7) I like cuddly very owner obsessed dogs.

I dont know if I can get all those things in one dog but thats fine XD Like I said it doesnt have to be pure bred. I kinda have a specific color in mind too, I dont want a light tan colored dog, I am looking for a dog with darker colors. I really like medium and large breeds.

·
Registered
174 Posts
From what you've listed the first purebred dogs that come to mind are Aussies, English Shepherds and Hovawarts.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Do you live on a farm? Just wondering why you'd need a dog to be good with livestock. Would obviously point to dogs in the herding group, but a lot of them can be pretty high strung and tend towards the hyper side of things so you'd have to look at individual lines/temperament. How much time/exercise can you realistically provide?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live on a small farm. We have chickens and ducks and small pets. The dog would get 1/2 acre to roam and play, on top of that I go jogging and biking. So a lot of exercise XD As for time, by the time I get the dog I will have a job but I would get the least amount of hours I can to work with my dogs, I dont exactly know how it is all going to play out, but I am still looking at dogs just in case. :) I really like BC's even though they are pretty hyper. My current dog is a lab/aussie mix, and she is like a monkey on crack

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Collie is a good idea. Maybe english shepherd.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would recommend an Australian shepherd, but be warned I don't know how much I would trust them with chickens and such. I love my girl to death, but sometimes she gets too excited for her own good.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I would recommend an Australian shepherd, but be warned I don't know how much I would trust them with chickens and such. I love my girl to death, but sometimes she gets too excited for her own good.
Pretty much any dog is going to need to be trained to behave properly around livestock. Plenty of dogs herd ducks, so I think that would be more a supervision and training problem if she were to run into issues there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've always heard you typically can't trust Aussie's with birds as they are rough herders. That's not saying you can't train them to be gentle but they will take a lot more training than some other breeds.

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
I've always heard you typically can't trust Aussie's with birds as they are rough herders. That's not saying you can't train them to be gentle but they will take a lot more training than some other breeds.
You probably shouldn't trust a dog who has any serious herding instinct unless you're planning on using them to herd and doing the training. Untrained and unused you just have a dog who really, really loves to chase (and sometimes bite) your livestock. That'll result in dead small livestock and stressed out bigger livestock (and maybe an injured dog).

Collie would be, I think, just about perfect.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry I havent been on, our internet went out for a week and we just got it back LOL. I have an aussie mix who is doing great with our chickens so far, every once in a while she chases them but never bites, pounces or barks. One of our roosters challenged her and she just put her paw on his back and just stared at him...... I died laughing, I had no clue what she was trying to do XD It was like "Buddy.... I am 3 times your size, but its okay to try, dont give up I believe you can take down a large animal"

I think a collie would be great! Maybe a collie mixed with something a little calmer. I just hope that it will be strong enough to pull with my other dog.
Also CptJack what breed is Molly?? She is really adorable.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I think a collie would be great! Maybe a collie mixed with something a little calmer. I just hope that it will be strong enough to pull with my other dog.
Also CptJack what breed is Molly?? She is really adorable.
If you have an Aussie mix then a collie will probably seem pretty calm to you. (I'm talking about a "Lassie" collie, not a border collie.) Collies are probably the calmest dogs of the herding group, or pretty darned close.

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
Molly is a smooth coated Border Collie.

You don't want her. Like seriously, you don't. I barely even want her, somedays. She's OCD about chasing things (including animals and birds), hyper and kind of a nut, and not dog friendly. Also she's kind of owner obsessed, but she'd rather be set on fire than cuddle for 23.5 hours a day. Are all Border Collies like that? No. But a whole heck of a lot are, and as a whole they're not dogs who get along well with other dogs.

I REALLY like the idea of a rough collie for you, though, just based on what you said you wanted.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My cousin has an English shepherd. He is very neurotic. Constant pacing and panting, worries constantly. Not a very fun dog to be around.

How about a standard poodle. On when you want. Couch potato when you want and a snuggler too

·
Registered
915 Posts
Hypothetically I think a sportingxherding mix might fit some of your requirements. Most sporting/gun dogs IIRC tend towards more cuddling, and it's already been stated why you might want a herding dog :) Of course, you could get the exact opposite traits you want out of that mix too ;) (Hunting, vocal, not cuddling...)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
If you have an Aussie mix then a collie will probably seem pretty calm to you. (I'm talking about a "Lassie" collie, not a border collie.) Collies are probably the calmest dogs of the herding group, or pretty darned close.
Pretty much this. I don't really think you would want to make a collie calmer if you want to do a whole lot with them. I'm not saying they are lazy dogs or anything, just that they are not the most "go go go" of the herding group. Lad is a bit slower and more laid back, he is half pyr/anatolian. Even though both of his parents were working farm dogs (he is a working line dog) he spent most of his first 6months sleeping on top of me on the couch. He is happy with 30minutes of frisbee in the yard each day. He isn't terribly abnormal for a collie. He loves to cuddle, it is his goal in life.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I recommend collies a lot. I'm pretty biased about them. I admit it. But looking at your list, they fit everything you want. If you don't want a light colored dog, they come in tri, which is mostly black, and blue merle.

They're great with livestock, after all, they are a herding dog. They have a different style than border collies and Aussies. They tend to coax, rather than force, an animal to move where they want it. They don't stare it down. It's a much less threatening style.

So far I haven't met a collie that wasn't good with cats or other small animals. I'm sure that there are some with more of a prey drive, but it's not usual.

They LOVE their people. Mostly they like everyone, but they love THEIR people. They're not a dog to leave outside when the family is inside. They want to be with you. (They also notice everything. If you move some furniture, or buy a new shirt, they'll notice.)

They're very easy to train but you need a light hand. They don't do well with force. You also have to be creative. Some dogs you can ask to sit 20 times in a row and they'll be happy. A collie will do it 4 times and then look at you like, "I've got it, now move on". If you want them to sit 20 times then you have to ask a bunch of different ways.

I really think they're the perfect family dog. They're very forgiving with kids and put up with a lot. And they really seem to love kids in general.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really like what yall have to say about the lassie dog XD I never wouldve even considered one cause I didnt know much about them. Thanks for helping me find the perfect breed! I will do some more research on the breed so I know all there is to know, but like I said I wont be getting it for a year (hopefully less) so I have time to prepare and just focus on my other dog. I take forever choosing names for my pets so I should probably start now :p
Also just one more question. Is there much of a difference between a male or female? Like is one more intelligent, or more people friendly than the other sex?? Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I don't think there is a whole lot of difference between the males and females in collies. I have a preference for male dogs in general, I think they are slightly more serious and loyal. Really I just bond better with them. Males get bigger though obviously you can have a big female or a small male. Males do take a little longer to mature in my experience and they can be a little more difficult as adolescents (probably partially because they are immature for longer). My last two male puppies were super easy to house train, my last female was difficult, all different breeds though. Lad has spoiled me for other puppies, he is just really easy, even as an adolescent he is easy. He blows me off more than my GSD x husky did (she was easy as an adolescent, not as a puppy) but he works so hard to please me and he is just so sweet and devoted. I am sure a female would be excellent as well, I'm just not a fan of female dogs (all of our females are rescues, Lad was the puppy I chose).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts