Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for your advice in finding the right breed. My dream is to have a white German shepherd, but probably this is not going to happen in the coming 5-10 years, because me and my girlfriend just got an apartment :)

With that being said, I realize, that a white shepherd is out of question while we will be living in this apartment.. I've been looking at different breeds, and kinda narrowed my list down to a basenji, shiba inu or maybe a basset hound.

My dog experience:
I grew up in a small village in a large house with a big garden. My parents used to breed basset hounds, and at some point we also had a saint bernard :)
As an adult, i had a beagle for about 8 years which i raised & loved to bits. We were quite active and did a lot together with the dog (long daily walks, cycling, etc..) however, life happened, got divorced, and the dog stayed eventually with my ex.

Now 6 years later I'm looking at puppies again.. :)

The apartment:
The apartment is about 80m2 and has two floors (so about 40 -40m2). the bedrooms are on the entrance level and the living room / kitchen area with a balcony is on the second floor. There is a huge park (doggy park included) 5 mins walk away.

both me and my partner work 40 hours a week, however, both of us lives less than 15 mins away from home.

I like that the basenjis are clean and relative quiet (?) dogs. However, I am a bit worried, that they are too stubborn, very high energy and difficult to train.

Shiba inu - adore the looks like its temperament, but i am worried about too much shedding inside the apartment.

Basset hound - like it's energy, love their character and also have "history" with the breed. But i am worried about the stairs in the apartment. I would think it is rather steep for a basset to comfortably roam around inside the apartment both upstairs and downstairs. Also concerned about howling, when we are not home.

Any tips / insight would be great to read!

If you think there is another breed that could fit me, let me know, too! I am not really fond of very small dogs, or the bulldog types.

Thanks!
:)

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I haven't had any of those dogs, but do know a bit about them, and they seem to be widely different!

Can you give us a bit more information about what you're looking for? Do want a dog that is easy to train, and likes to do what you want them to do? Do you want to be super active with your pup? Do you want to take them with you places? How much grooming are you willing to do? How much exercise can you provide? Do you want to do sports or other activities? Do you want an off leash candidate?

None of these breeds are considered really easy to train, the Basenji and the Shiba Inu being the most...free willed. All are hunting dogs, so may take off after a scent or small animals and they may not come back! I wouldn't trust them off leash. The basset is probably the most placid of them, and I guess I would choose that one over the others if I lived in an apartment and was forced to encounter strangers every day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Lillith,

thanks for your reply! Yeah, they seem to be different dogs, indeed! Although, I would have thought that the shiba and the basenji are not that different in character (I might be wrong, though!).
I used to have beagle - probably you know what that means! :)). With her I walked usually 30-45 minutes before work, and about an hour after work (this was usually off the leash and / or with a bike) - back then I used to live in an area where i could let her off the leash. training a beagle was not the easiest thing as she was very much food oriented, but everyone was telling me how "well-behaved" she was for a beagle :).

I am mostly looking for a companion dog (a female); of course i want her to be intelligent and obedient, however, i dont intend to teach her a bunch of tricks, apart from the basic commands. I want to take her to places, like the previous one. She would come with me to see friends, to have a beer on a terrace or even to restaurants from time to time. I dont know what "super active" would mean, but i am planning on 30 min walks in the mornings, a quick one during lunch time, and a longer one in the evenings. And of course hanging out together in the evenings (playing, and hanging out together).

Grooming: not too much, honestly. When i had my beagle, i had hair everywhere. I think i sill have some in my car, after all those years... :)
I am used to hunting dogs (again, thinking of my beagle - she would chase rabbits on the nearby field where i used to live, and sometimes i had to wait her for like half and hour to get tired and return to me :) ) Off leash candidate would be preferred, but not a must.

Yeah, i know that a basset could be a nice choice, i am just really worried, that she would not manage the stairs, or that it would not be good for her short legs and long back.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I know Shiba Inu's are kind of suspicious of strangers, and they aren't exactly known for being dog friendly. So if you want the dog to be with you in strange places and meeting new people, I would probably pass. Not sure about Basenjis. Bassets would probably deal with just about anybody, lol.

All of the above shed quite a bit, but if you really don't want to deal with fur, I would go with a dog with hair, like a Standard Poodle.

Hopefully someone with a bit more first-hand knowledge of those specific breeds chimes in!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts