Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got him from a shelter and am wondering lately what kind of breeds he is. I was told different things by the shelter and by the vet.

He is a lean, middle-sized dog with a semi-long coat.

He's really friendly, calm and quiet in the house, easy going and quite smart. He's not very defensive, and not very playful either.

Any guesses?

IMGP4458.jpg IMGP4544.jpg

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Hoi... dutchgal ;) I'm guessing you're from the same country I'm from. Just a wild guess.

The first pic reminded me a bit of a Leonberger, but there's no way to tell seeing that he's way too small for it to be an actual possibility. But who knows. Do you have pictures of him standing, from the side? From the looks of these pics you provided, he could be mixed with anything. What did the shelter say about him? And what did your vet say?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I've seen GSD/Golden Retriever mixes who look like that. He's handsome!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hoi Avie. Altijd leuk om een andere Nederlander tegen te komen ;)

At the shelter they indeed said something about him being a Leonberger mix. The vet actually laughed at this and said my dog reminded him of a Kooikerhondje.

I've included a photo from the side.

Willowy, isn't he too small to be a GSD/Golden mix?

IMAG0440.jpg

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Ja grappig hè :p Off all places, op een Amerikaans forum nog wel.

Hmm, even though it's outrageous to cross a small dog with a huge dog imo, maybe that has been the case with your dog and the Leonberger is in there after all. I don't see much Kooikerhondje, actually. They have more of a stretched and slighter built, and your dog looks more compact in comparison. Also the head... it's way different, with a wider head and broader muzzle. Poster above mentioned Australian shepherd, and maybe that's a possibility too.

All in all, you can never know for sure when you know nothing about the dog's heritage. In mixed breeds, appearance is often deceiving. Unless the shelter knew 100% sure that the dog has Leonberger in him, I really doubt there's any Leo in him ;) But it's an entertaining thought.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
A GSD x Golden can be under 50 lbs. I think the nose of that mix is sharper than a Leonberger (which I thought was a larger dog.) I'm not familiar with a Kooikerhondje. But you can find lots of picture on Google and compare to your dog.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I notice you are in Europe. I believe the vet was onto something with regard to the Koikerhondje. They have a spaniel background and I believe your dog has some spaniel in him as well. I see it in his eyes, earset and jawset. His body shape and length of leg suggest a square lean breed on the other side of that.

I know a Papillon x Cocker that looks very, very similar and that weighs ~30 pounds (took after the Cocker that way).

What is his weight? What is his height at the wither (top of shoulder)?

SOB

·
Registered
329 Posts
Tibetan Spaniel mix?

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I love Kooikers and the only thing I see in him is maybe the size and the length of the ears, but that's it. He looks like a Golden mix to me; I was going to say part Collie but now I'm disregarding that. Your dog is cute.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts