Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Post!

Hello all, this looks like one fantastic forum, very busy with lots of good info, been reading through for the last couple of hours, great refresher course.

I have been a dog owner off and on my whole life, we've owned a collie mix, cocker mix and a Weimeraner while I was living with my parents.

Been married for eight years but the situation we were living in didn't allow us to have a dog, mainly because of the regulations of the apartment and property we were living on.

A new opportunity has arisen and it looks like we are moving to a new church and a different spot. We'll be moving into a five bedroom house that has about an acre yard around it.

We will be looking to get a dog when we move, and I've begun doing some research which dog would be best for us.

We would probably get a puppy or a young dog as my family had always done before, but wouldn't be opposed to a younger adult dog.

There is just my wife and I and possibly a teenager or two living with us, so we have lots of room in our house and also a garage as well.

There is about an acre of yard we can use, but no fences at all.

Daily walks are obviously a must and will be planned for.

I love the temperament of bigger dogs like St. Bernards and the like, but think they may be too big for this situation and an unfenced yard. Is that a correct assumption?

Also looking for a dog that will enjoy going to the beach but will also endure a longer winter as well (will be in the house, so this maybe isn't such a big concern)_.

Looking also for a dog that is likely to chase balls and sticks and enjoy it and I can take hiking and things (I realize that many breeds probably fall into this category)

Not really looking for a really small dog either, looking for something bigger than a
I'm familiar with and leaning toward a lab/ retreiver/ weimeraner/ collie/ mix... (obviously not all of those breeds mixed into one, lol) but I'm perfectly ok with a mutt.

Any others I should consider?

Sorry for the long post, hope it made some sense and the answer isn't 'everydog as along as you train it to do all of that stuff' but realize that might be the case....

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
What are your grooming/shedding preferences? Honestly, I don't think a Saint would be out of the question here... as long as he is well-exercised and gets to stay indoors, the space isn't really an issue.

"Generic large shelter mutt" comes to mind.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
The unfenced yard seems to be the limiting issue here. You seem to have a great environment for a lot of breeds, but it all comes down to what you'd trust without a fence; I'd have suggested a pit bull except for the fence issue.

Maybe a husky?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ahhh... the shedding, you know, I hadn't contemplated that.

Heavy shedding my wife would probably not love.

She hasn't really ever had a good dog, just a couple of bad ones (adults that came from other homes and bad situations that were biters and the like), so probably a low shedder is the best way to go... thanks for thinking of that.

(I lean toward shelter mutt too :) )

____

I thought about Husky or German Shepherd as well.

Would be hard to trust them without the fenced in yard... agreed.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The unfenced yard seems to be the limiting issue here. You seem to have a great environment for a lot of breeds, but it all comes down to what you'd trust without a fence; I'd have suggested a pit bull except for the fence issue.
Maybe a husky?
Pitbulls can do well in a unfence yard.
Please do NOT get a husky. They will most likely run away, and they will run really fast.
You would have to spend a lot of time training it. A german Shepherd on the other hand would be a lot easier to train to stay in. If you don't want fur everywhere, I don't think a german shepherd will be right for you. I am not sure how much they shed, but I guess close to a husky.

Go just a shelter, they are many dogs that need a home in this economy.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Another vote for a shelter mutt. If you want larger but not shedding, hardy temperment I'd go for a terrier mix of some sort, but definitely an adult. Of couse, I'm partial to terriers. But I'm thinking a standard schnauzer or a wheaten terrier, or an airedaile terrier might be good choices. I also think a standard poodle (or mix thereof) would be a great choice, again they are large, athletic and don't shed.

But yeah, generic shelter mutt oughtta do the trick. And I personally would go for a young adult 1-3 years of age because, well I like young adults and often a young adult comes housetrained and out of the destructive stage which is a big bonus for me.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Alot of folks recommend a rescue from a shelter but, the reality is most of the dogs have problems....that's why they are there...not socialized or poorly trained or not taken care of and that is something you need to handle/accept. I don't mean to imply that these are bad dogs...they're certainly not....they just need a little more work/TLC.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Alot of folks recommend a rescue from a shelter but, the reality is most of the dogs have problems....that's why they are there...not socialized or poorly trained or not taken care of and that is something you need to handle/accept. I don't mean to imply that these are bad dogs...they're certainly not....they just need a little more work/TLC.
It is absolutely true that they need training and socialization. Then again, so does any puppy or dog you adopt. Not all shelter dogs have issues at all. Some are already trained and very social. some dogs are only there because of something like, death in the family. Some are just ignorant people that have gotten a puppy because it is cute and then dump it when the puppy does what a puppy does. Some wonderful dogs are in shelters. Go, meet the dogs. You will know if you meet the dog that you want to spend time with. Good luck to you in whatever decision you make. If you spend time training and socializing it will be a wonderful companion. I am a strong believer in you get out of it what you put into it. :)

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Huskies and German Shepherds both shed tons.

I might have misunderstood you here, but do you plan to leave the dog outside in the unfenced yard and expect him to stay in? I would not expect that of any dog.

As for temperament issues in rescue dogs... I would say yeah, some of them do have issues, but some of them don't. You won't know unless you go down and meet the dogs. Not all dogs are surrendered because they have behavioural problems. People move to places where they can't keep dogs; couples split up and don't know what to do with the dog; kids get tired of the puppy once it grows up; and so on. I'd say it's definitely worth a try.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts