Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Well, good thing is that TOTW doesn't have beet pulp or flaxseed. So unless it's the fish it should help. I think most things say you need to give it at least a month (unless he gets worse), but with my allergic dog I usually saw improvements in a week or 2 with diet changes.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well, good thing is that TOTW doesn't have beet pulp or flaxseed. So unless it's the fish it should help. I think most things say you need to give it at least a month (unless he gets worse), but with my allergic dog I usually saw improvements in a week or 2 with diet changes.
Thank you so much for the info. I have never had a dog EVER with allergies. This is all new to me. A little help is greatly appreciated. :) It helps me to begin to understand the process and what to look for. :)

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Lol, I'm trying to get the Beneful ingredients but their website won't let me cut and paste. I have to find the list somewhere else.

OK, got it:
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, propylene glycol, meat and bone meal, tricalcium phosphate, phosphoric acid, salt, water, animal digest, sorbic acid (a preservative), potassium chloride, dried carrots, dried peas, calcium propionate (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.
yuck, horrible ingredients.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You betcha the ingredients are yuck! This is why I switched after actually studying dog foods and of course this forum helped me to learn some things too! :)

Now all I have to do is figure out which 5 star rated food is the best for my boy's. :)

Oddly enough the 4Health has had no ill effects on the other three large dogs? They are doing very well on it. It is just the two little ones, brothers, litter mates from the same BYB!

What is really maddening is that person who sold them to us changed their phone number and moved and I will never know what other issues the boy's parents had health-wise!.......ughhhh!.......................

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
I think all of us know dogs who are on 5 star foods who aren't doing well on it and dogs on 1 star foods who thrive & do great, esp many years ago. Me, I do what I feel is best. I don't feed myself McDonalds and I don't feel what I think is the equivalent to my dogs. It's all about how your dogs are doing and how you feel about what you're feeding them!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
keep watching the TOTW and see how it goes for a while longer, but if that doesnt wok out I would really try the Natural balance LID formula's. remeber that even "good" ingredents can cause reactions in some dogs, so can novel protiens..I have found so far that Electra cannot tollerate ANY grains(oats and barley are the worst) and the only protien she hasnt reacted too thus far is fish..duck, chicken, beef, bison, venison, kangaroo, alpaca, porl etc.. she cant eat any of it.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
keep watching the TOTW and see how it goes for a while longer, but if that doesnt wok out I would really try the Natural balance LID formula's. remeber that even "good" ingredents can cause reactions in some dogs, so can novel protiens..I have found so far that Electra cannot tollerate ANY grains(oats and barley are the worst) and the only protien she hasnt reacted too thus far is fish..duck, chicken, beef, bison, venison, kangaroo, alpaca, porl etc.. she cant eat any of it.
I will try that next if the TOTW does not work for them. Thank you. :)

I may have a couple of brothers with the same issues only one way way worse than the other. I have cut out ALL added meats, rice, oatmeal, pumpkin, etc. to their food. The other brother litter mate, Leeo had to have a shot this year that stayed in his system for two weeks; for the same thing but no where near his brother Blu Boy's problem. It worked for Leeo and the symptoms did not return until last week when he began to lick his feet. I am just going to nip it in the bud somehow for both of them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone used Nutro Potato and herring? Poppy was doing so well and had a beautiful shiny coat. Then with the CCL surgery has been on Novox for a month. And now I am seeing lots of flakes. I don't know if it is just the weather change. She likes to sit by the fireplace. Not sure what to think.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Has anyone used Nutro Potato and herring? Poppy was doing so well and had a beautiful shiny coat. Then with the CCL surgery has been on Novox for a month. And now I am seeing lots of flakes. I don't know if it is just the weather change. She likes to sit by the fireplace. Not sure what to think.
I have never personally tried this food. I do however use fish oil and vitamin E for the dog's skin and hair. You could ask your vet about supplementing the fish oil and vitamin E because weight and age would be considered in the proper amount to give. :)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts