Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to change foods due to an issue with possible allergy issues on my Schnauzer/Poodle(S).

Are any of the foods listed below recommended as a good grain-free brand ?

I usually go to a TSC because the nearest pet store is over 35 miles away. Would there be a good one that they may carry? I do know they have Blue, Merrick, Wellness, Diamond, Science Diet, Iams, Eukanuba, Taste of the Wild, Nutro.

I am currently feeding 4Health. It is good and I only plan on changing the two small dogs food as they are beginning to show signs of food allergies. I need to experiment but with a good food.

Help would be greatly appreciated..........I need to go get new food today. :)

EDIT: Edit within an edit...........I went and bought TOTW Pacific Stream........we will see what happens during the transition! :) Totally getting away from chicken and lamb.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have mentioned food to my vet, but my vet does not promote any one food.....and when I mentioned the food I do feed,.....all he said was "Yeah, there are some pretty crappy foods out there."

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
I'm a day late, sorry. I don't know what your dogs issues are but when one of mine was a puppy, he had ear infections. An online friend gave me a list of ingredients to avoid, she got the list from Tufts. The list is chicken, corn, wheat, soy, rice and flax. I later realized that yeast sets him off. Some that we use are Taste of the wild,s fish, both Orijen and Acana fish, the new Nature's Variety limited ingredient turkey and The Honest Kitchen,s Embark which is turkey and their Zeal, which is fish. You have to be so careful, not just with food but treats and supplements. We use bug off garlic for fleas and ticks but cannot use thenchewable because it had yeast.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. One of them had an issue with itching and his eye swelled up like a balloon. He has been on a round of prednisone for a month. It has been one week tomorrow that he had his last dose of prednisone. He seems fine so far. The vet and I thought at first that it may be an insect bite but not sure. I switched foods from a 1 star to a 4 star food five months ago. I also have been adding extra chicken (real cooked meat) and am thinking it may be too much on their systems. So I am taking the chicken out of their diets to see. The other dog has a little itching but not like his brother did. Poor guy!

I wanted to try a good food.....so I am trying the TOTW Pacific Stream, grain free. (5 star and more price wise.....but so be it if it means better health for them) I once thought wheat was affecting the one dog. After I went to the 4Health with no wheat, corn,and no soy.....there was a major improvement. Even his tear stained eyes improved to almost none at all. I am moving one step up from that. Have my fingers and toes crossed! :)

This is the reason below.................

Attachments

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
oh geez, that poor pup! TOTW Pacific Stream is a good food to try! Good luck and watch ingredients on everything that goes in their mouth!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Ouchie! Poor baby, that looks sore.

Buster is allergic to corn, wheat, soy, chicken and lamb (that we know of) so it means watching ingredients on absolutely everything he might put in his mouth. If it doesnt have ingredients listed, Buster isnt allowed to have it. He has done very well on TOTW Pacific Stream. Ive had him on it for a little over a year. For treats we use freeze dried beef liver (Prime Taste from Petsmart) or dehydrated beef liver (purchase sliced liver at the grocery store, lay it flat on a baking sheet and bake at 200 for about 45 minutes. Cut into treat sized pieces & continue baking until dry).

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip on the beef liver. In the past I have basically fried/ boiled it. I will try the oven method after the transition to the TOTW is complete. I am afraid to introduce anything else just yet. It amazes me that for five years these two dogs have been in perfect health and then all of a sudden .....this. I guess that is just how allergies are even in canines, just as in humans. The biggest amazement is how a 4 star food didn't really mean much? When they were eating horrible 1 star dog food they had no problems? Go figure?

Thank you for all the information you shared about Buster. :) Every bit of info helps. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
The biggest amazement is how a 4 star food didn't really mean much? When they were eating horrible 1 star dog food they had no problems? Go figure?
Honestly I think with all brands you risk cost cutting by purchase of cheaper ingredients. With the economy the way it is, the only way to control costs and maintain a profit is to find cheaper ingredients. Any company feeling a pinch may not have changed the recipe, but that doesn't mean their ingredients are the same quality as they were a few years ago. Cheaper ingredients may be handled differently prior to purchase and may have been in contact with other allergens that aren't listed as ingredients.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes this is something to ponder. :)

In all actuality.....it has been a week since the last dose of prednisone.....and I think whatever it is may be returning. I bet I will have to go back to the vet! This is so odd to me? It seems like it is in the middle of his nose now, as there is some scabbing......but that could be from the scratching weeks ago? I will know in a day or two I am sure. :(......uggghhh......poor Blu Boy!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
What one star food were they on before, and which formula of 4Health? Maybe someone can help compare the ingredients and see what the allergen could be.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
What one star food were they on before, and which formula of 4Health? Maybe someone can help compare the ingredients and see what the allergen could be.
They used to eat Beneful and the 4Health was the Chicken and rice. I am thinking chicken? The TOTW Pacific Stream is what I am switching slowly over to. Just fish.

I am halfway transitioned. They are using half and half with no digestive or intestinal upset so far.

I am also wondering about the flax seed and the beet pulp in the 4Health. Those two ingredients were the only red flags in the 4Health if I remember correctly. The flax seed is whole also and not ground? Odd? They have only been on 4Health for approximately 5 months?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Which formula of Beneful? They have like 10 different kinds.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh.....I am sorry....the Original recipe. I never bought the other fancy ones.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
4Health:
Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, millet, brewers rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), beet pulp, natural chicken flavor, flaxseed, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, Yucca schidigera extract, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is the 4Health alright.....how did you post that so quickly? :)......I better learn more on this computer! :)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Lol, I'm trying to get the Beneful ingredients but their website won't let me cut and paste. I have to find the list somewhere else.

OK, got it:
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, propylene glycol, meat and bone meal, tricalcium phosphate, phosphoric acid, salt, water, animal digest, sorbic acid (a preservative), potassium chloride, dried carrots, dried peas, calcium propionate (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Just go figure! Lol! :) I sure hope I don't have to back track on food quality!

I wish I had kept an empty bag around and then you wouldn't have to be doing my homework. :)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
So far, the major things I can see that are in 4Health but not Beneful are the barley, millet, brewer's rice, fish meal, beet pulp, and flaxseed. I think trying a grain-free food is good, in case it's the barley, millet, or rice. If he doesn't improve on the Pacific Stream I'll guess it's the fish meal. Probably not chicken if he did well on the Beneful, although sometimes dogs do develop allergies to something they've been eating for years. But since it started with the new food I would suspect something else.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So far, the major things I can see that are in 4Health but not Beneful are the barley, millet, brewer's rice, fish meal, beet pulp, and flaxseed. I think trying a grain-free food is good, in case it's the barley, millet, or rice. If he doesn't improve on the Pacific Stream I'll guess it's the fish meal. Probably not chicken if he did well on the Beneful, although sometimes dogs do develop allergies to something they've been eating for years. But since it started with the new food I would suspect something else.
Thanks Willowy............how soon do you think I would see an improvement with the TOTW.....it has only been about 4 days of transitioning?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, propylene glycol, meat and bone meal, tricalcium phosphate, phosphoric acid, salt, water, animal digest, sorbic acid (a preservative), potassium chloride, dried carrots, dried peas, calcium propionate (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

Fiber (estimated dry matter content) = 4.7%

Yay!....it is about time I figured something out! :).....Beneful Original

1 - 20 of 30 Posts