Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had our puppy microchipped when we go him. But I'm not sure about registering it.
It is an Avid chip. I don't like that I have to mail it or fax it in. I don't feel secure sending my credit card thru the mail or the fax machine. I would much rather register online.
My vet recommended HomeAgain, but it is rather expensive, requiring an annual fee instead of just the initial fee.
My dd rabbit is registered with 24Hour Pet Watch,done thru ASPCA.
I did go ahead an register his microchip with 24Hour Pet Watch as it is free thru them. I'm wondering if that is sufficient or if I should register him with one of the pay companies?
I did try too search both microchips thru an online database and neither one showed up. So I'm not sure if the 24 Hour Pet Watch is the best to use?
TIA!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am also interested in this. I have searched and found a few different companies that will do it but I know nothing about microchips. Any help?

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I'm not sure I understand, but when my Vet chipped my dog in 2008, she charged me $40 and registered the info with no problem.

Contact info:
Dr. Carmen Battaglia, President and CEO
AKC Companion Animal Recovery
5580 Centerview Drive, Suite 250
Raleigh, NC 27606-3389

Phone: (800) 252-7894
Fax: (919) 233-1290
Email: [email protected]
URL: www.akccar.org

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I don't like avid chips too many stories of the microchips migrating. I would rechip with AKC's CAR chips, info has already been givin. CAR chips have tiny barbs on them that will attach to the the spot it is shot into (i.e in between the withers) but it won't hurt the dog even though the needle is so huge the chip is tiny.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Call AVID 1-951-371-7505. I work for a vet and we use the avid chip for all pets that we chip. We have the preregistered chips so that the cost to insert and registar for our clients. My pets all have avid chips and have never had a problem with them migrating.

·
Registered
259 Posts
HomeAgain actually doesn't require a yearly fee. The initial registration fee allows you to register (online), and after the first year ends, if you opt not to continue with the pay service, your registration still remains active and you can still log on to update your contact information as necessary. The pay service just provides extra benefits, 24/7 "vet" phone service of some sort, some other random things I can't recall, and I believe without paying that you are limited as to how often you can change your contact info (but unless you move constantly, it's not a crazy low limit). Don't quote me on all of the differences between free and pay, but it does indeed remain active even if you choose not to continue paying yearly. My cat just came up at the end of his year and I looked thoroughly into it and it was an easy decision not to pay.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I paid the breeder for the chip. But he didn't register it, I still have to register and pay the registration fee. Avid doesn't offer online registration. So I have to either mail or fax the registration. I'd rather register online with a company.
I wish I had just waited and had my vet do it.

I will check out the AKC CAR. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
The problem with microchips is the radio freq. It depends on what your local AC uses is who I would pick. AVID scanners will pick up some chips but not all. HomeAgain scanners will pick up all. AVID scanners will not pick up HOMEAGAIN chips. Then if you plan on leaving the US it has to be a certain freq also. I would contact the chip company just to verify that the place who inserted the chip registered the chip in your name. I know in my county, when you adopted an animal it was chipped. The chip was registered to the county according to AVID. The county had the owner's info on their file. It was up to the individual to pay the extra registration fee. I know this has happened even if a vet implanted the chip. Also, some rescues will do this. They do this because in case the dog ends up at a shelter unclaimed. You can go to www.petmicrochiplookup.org for a very good website. I always tell people to scan their pets every couple years and to call the company every few years just to check on the information on file. It is better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all the help! I did just register with AKC CAR. It seemed a good one to register with. I had already checked Avid, my chip wasn't registered.
I have head about the chips migrating, I hope it doesn't happen. I really don't want to re-chip.
I do worry about scanners not being able to read the chip, so I do put the chip number on the address tag as a back up. Provided the dog is wearing his collar if he gets lost!
I also have to teach him to quit chewing on his tags, so he can actually wear them! LOL

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
AKC scanners will pick up any chip. I have used home again, but I like CAR better we can get a better deal on the needles.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
AT work we have a info sheet that lists the radio frequency that each chip uses and the numbers of the different chip companies. this is so helpful we can see just by the numbers of the chip what company the chip came from.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
My only worry with registering an AVID chip with a different company is that when an AVID chip is scanned it says it's an AVID chip. So whomever scans you dog will call AVID 1st to get your info. If your info isn't registered with them how will anyone know to call whatever other company you chose to register your chip with?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My only worry with registering an AVID chip with a different company is that when an AVID chip is scanned it says it's an AVID chip. So whomever scans you dog will call AVID 1st to get your info. If your info isn't registered with them how will anyone know to call whatever other company you chose to register your chip with?
I already checked with www.petmicrochiplookup.org. when my chip number is entered it immediately shows that the chip is registered with AKC CAR, even though it is an Avid chip. I'm sure anyone who would be checking would know that chips can be registered with any company not just the manufacture.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts