Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 14-week-old's crate has been in my bedroom since I got her three weeks ago. Crate training is going well and she stays in her crate for 7-8 hours at night with no problem. Is it ok to move the crate to the living room so I can have my room back? I'll be able to hear her from there if she barks and needs to go out. Will she be too isolated alone in a room all night?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Yes you can move the crate at this time if you want to. I hope you have s mat or something in there so she is reassured that it is actually her crate. You may get a little whining at first, but that can be easily handled. She has already accepted the crate as her place, so you have done a good job.

For the first week or so, remember to make a big deal the first time you see her in the morning. Let her out and play with her for a little while. Tell her what a good dog she is. After she understands what you want, you can cut back on the celebrations but don't get rid if them entirely. Some praise for good behavior is always a nice thing.

When some dogs reach adolescence - which won't be for some months with her - they can sometimes get stubborn about using their crate. It doesn't happen with all dogs, but it is something to be aware of. If staying in the crate all night is one of YOUR rules, make sure that you don't relax the rule at that time.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
My only concern would be that a 14 week old may still need to go potty once in awhile during the night, does she always BARK to let you know she needs to go out? When my dogs were young puppies, they might whine a bit, but they never barked to go potty (they still don't). So, if yours just whines to go potty, would you be able to hear it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
We have 2 crates and crate our pup downstairs in the living room during the day and crate her in our bedroom upstairs overnight. We keep both crates in the same spot on the floor so that she is use to her surroundings while training and she adjusted very easy.

I trained her using the word **potty** and **crate** while crate training.

Potty= she knows it's time to go outside and goes to our back door
Crate= she goes back to her crate on command

1 - 6 of 6 Posts