Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I'm having a logistic issue... We just moved to a new house. I have 4 animals (2 cats 2 dogs) on a raw diet. At our old house, I could feed Khepri in the laundry room, Otto in the basement, Cthulhu in the bathroom, and Nana in the kitchen, and everything was fine. With the new house, I'm having some issues. The basement is an old school really filthy storage only area, with no door. The bathroom door doesn't latch, and the animals have figured out how to push it open. Last night I fed Khepri in the bathroom, fed Otto outside in the driveway, tried to feed Cthulhu in the kitchen, but Nana came along wondering where her food was, so Cthulhu went after Nana, so I locked Cthulhu in the bathroom when Khepri was finished eating, but the bathroom was too small for him (he's a Great Pyr, it's a tiny bathroom) so he just freaked out and wouldn't eat, so then I took away his food and put Nana in the bathroom, brought in Otto from outside, then Khepri opened the bathroom door and Otto stole Nana's food Khepri got into a spat with Otto, and Cthulhu came to investigate and snapped at them both over the bits of Nana's food that were left and it was just a total disaster. This is day 3. I have tried different things every day, all with similar results. Neither of my dogs have kennels (couldn't afford one big enough for Cthulhu, and Otto has some serious kennel issues), it's a small house, both of my dogs are at least minorly food aggressive, and I'm going crazy and worried that I'm not going to be able to safely break up another fight... Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Outside on secure tie-outs maybe for the dogs? and then the cats inside and pick up their bowls before letting the dogs back in. Would only work in decent weather though.

Maybe indoor tethers? Eye bolts into wall studs and short wire tethers with the dogs in separate rooms and the one cat in the bathroom and one in a bedroom.

Feed one animal at a time on the porch or in the garage while you supervise?

I wouldn't trust a baby gate to secure a large dog with even a minor amount of food aggression issues

Or honestly, if you simply don't have a practical and SAFE space for the animals to eat raw, then switching to dry food to keep them from having a serious fight with the risk of injury to each other and to you may be your best option.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
do you play food games with them as a group or as smaller groups within the bigger group.. My CO is never going to stop being food aggressive (period) it doesn't mean that he can't learn some manners when food is present. And he has learned to focus and hear to follow instructions in those moments that he use to just run down and pounce on another dog or poor cat... So don't give up in work with them around food as a group.. to have those safety extra seconds to diffuse behaviors that would end up in a fight..

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't do baby gates. Khepri and Otto can both jump them, and Cthulhu just knocks them over. Plus, this house is a fairly open floor plan, so most of the doorways are too wide for baby gates. Inside tethers is something I could look into. We live in Ohio, so outdoor tethers would be a very short term solution, lol. It would probably work for Otto, but I'm not positive about Cthulhu. I've tried feeding him on leash before, and he just won't eat, but I'm not sure if that was the leash or the fact that I was watching him. We do play food games, but it just hasn't translated to their actual dinner. I don't know if that's because the food is high value or something else. But even with high value treats, I can treat all four animals in the kitchen at the same time (I do every morning) and we haven't had any issues with that in a while. Honestly, training is the only way I could get Cthulhu's food away from him yesterday. Six months ago he would snap at me if I went near his bowl. Now I can call him away from his food, put him in a down stay, retrieve the food, and all is mostly good. Oh, and I can't switch them back to kibble. Cthulhu has some serious stomach issues on kibble, so raw is the only thing we've found that he can eat. The others wouldn't have as much issue, but they all do so much better on raw. Khepri isn't as greasy (Sphynx cat), Otto doesn't pudge out, Nana maintains a healthy weight and decent coat despite her age and health issues (she's 15+ with a list of health issues...) so I've seen the benefits of the raw diet, and I would hate to change that.

So I think for now I'm going to have to rotate everyone through the bathroom, and just stand guard by the door. I have a feeling I just lost an hour of my evening, or more, lol. And I'll look into some tethers, see what they would cost and figure out where we could place them once we get the boxes unpacked. In the meantime, I'll just keep reminding myself how much I love my animals... LOL

·
Registered
363 Posts
I know most raw feeders don't like to do it but.. maybe you could grind their meals up. They would then be able to eat it straight out of the bowl just like kibble. It would take them a fraction of the time to eat. I know you lose the chewing benefits but if you need to make a compromise, it would sure beat switching back to kibble and losing the health benefits you've noticed.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Do you have carriers for the cats? I think I'd teach the cats to eat in their carriers. Feed one dog in and one dog out (of a room or the house or wherever). If it were 4 big dogs I think it could get really iffy but since 2 are cats, you can probably fit cat carriers somewhere.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I feed 2 dogs raw, mostly grinds. But I do feed 2-3 raw meaty bone meals per week. I take them both outside, put their food down, they wait to eat until I say "release". We practice the same command inside. Our RMB schedule changes as the weather does here in CT, but our commands stay the same no matter the weather, time, or place.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So we have a system that seems to be working so far. Khepri gets fed in the bathroom, because he hasn't figured out how to open the door from the inside. Add a baby gate to the outside of the closed door, in case any of the dogs get any ideas. Nana is fed in the bedroom on a plastic mat. She's the most dainty eater, so she stays on the mat and doesn't make a mess of the floor. And the bedroom door works, so I don't have to worry about anyone getting in, since she is also the slowest eater. Otto is fed on the basement stairs. The basement may be narsty, but the stairs were easy to clean, and he's small enough that he only takes up one step, lol. Baby gates at the top and bottom of the stairs. He can jump a gate on flat ground, but he can't get the running jump on the stairs. Cthulhu is fed in the kitchen. Then I sit in the kitchen with him to make sure he doesn't try to go through any gates. So far, if I feed Otto first, he finishes eating well before Cthulhu is done, giving Cthulhu no reason to attempt to knock down the baby gate to get to his food. It's completely crazy, and requires two people to run smoothly, and I'm really missing the fenced in back yard at the old house (I used to just leave Cthulhu in the yard until I'd gotten the other three fed and locked up. Dealing with everyone in the kitchen is a pain), but it's also showing me areas that I need to train. Once we get the kitchen unpacked (there are too many boxes right now) I'm going to start working on a "place" command so everyone can sit in their places and wait until I'm ready to feed them... I'm tired of tripping over them, lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts