Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new pup is in a crate in the laundry room. It is a fairly big room off the living room where she can hear us but not see us. Would it be a better idea to put her crate in the living room where she can see us? I am trying to keep her in it for hours at a time and only let her out to play and pee since I am trying to housebreak.

·
Registered
306 Posts
She should definitely be in the room with you. You want her to love having her own little den-not resent being isolated when she is in it. You can also keep her with you on a leash or whatever inside the house so you can watch her and that way she is with you but not wandering off getting into trouble and leaving you "little gifts" around the house.
I would take her out at least twice an hour- or whenever she starts to sniff the ground--and use a code word- like "hurry up" when she is outside-keep repeating it(the neighbors will think you are nuts- thats ok)then
when she goes--bring her right back in- so she gets the idea that outside is for potty--she will get the idea in no time.
Good luck! What kind of puppy is she? Pictures please

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Her name is Sophie and she is a lab/shepard mix we think. She was part of a litter of puppies found in a dumpster! Her age was approximated at 6 weeks when we got her 2 weeks ago. I am trying to upload pic's. Not sure if I did it right. She can be really sweet or really aggressive. We are trying to do our best to train her.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Oh my gosh she is adorable!!!
You are going to have so much fun with her.
That's a good mix, too I'll bet she is really smart- she should be easy to train.
Keep posting pictures I would love to watch her grow up

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just moved her crate in the living room and she has been crying since we put her in. You sure this is ok? I feel like I am punishing her! Maybe you can help me with her biting too. She mouths for 2 seconds and then it turns into aggressive biting where she hurts. Every time we play with her she does it and the kids (teens) are starting to not like playing with her because she hurts or tears their clothes! Any suggestions? It has been over 9 years since we have had a puppy and I am feeling "brain dead" on how to train!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
You can housebreak her without keeping her in the crate for hours at a time. One of my favorite methods is to leash pup to my belt loop so I know when the pup moves around and I'm aware of whats going on, then, if the pup starts sniffing, I get it outside to potty. I've housebroken dogs in a matter of days, it just takes awareness.

Housetraining.pdf

·
Registered
306 Posts
She probably wasn't with her littermates long enough to learn biting limits.
One thing that I found works really well is when they start to bite( and all puppies go through that phase) when she makes contact- make a really high pitched sound like oh how to describe it--like a high pitched squeeky sound-
like eeeeee- you will be suprised how quickly they back-off. It's like the noise that the littermates or mother would make to let her know that she is hurting them. You have to do that every time, and then replace your fingers, arm, clothes, whatever she is biting with something appropriate like a toy or puppy teething chew. She will learn.
She is probaby crying because she wants to come out and play but I still think it's better that she can see you--make her crate really comfy-she will probably go so sleep.
She is really cute
Beth
I'm glad you found her did her littermates get good homes, too??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She was one of 5 in the litter. Last time we checked, only one female was left! Someone had brought the abandoned litter to the pet store and they "adopted" them out, not sold them. They wanted to make sure they all got a good home! They even gave us a free vet check up and 3 months worth of dog food for adopting her. What a nice place! All we had to do was buy the crate and supplies! I would never purchase a dog when there are so many to be adopted! And we had only stopped by to see the birds in the window....SUCKERS....

·
Registered
304 Posts
Bwahahaha.

Now that I have that out of my system... She is adorable! I am glad you got her, and the rest are finding homes.

No advice to add though...

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Just think about it, the general info on DF is from people who want the crate in bedroom or in the living room area where the puppy can see the family etc. Now if you're in the crate and there is action going on right outside the crate would you not want to get in the action. I've always liked the crate in a room that the pup can relax in. A spare bedroom/laundry room etc. A room with a door that can be shut with a low playing radio and you're in Nirvana and so is the pup. My opinion only.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
One more thing, your pup isn't being aggressive, she's just being a puppy who hasn't learned any boundries or limitations yet.

How long are you keeping her in the kennel, you said for hours, and that's not very fare..

Your routine should go like this...

Out about every 15 minutes (or how often you know she usually needs to go) if she goes, you can continue playing. If she doesn't she goes in the kennel for maybe 5-10 minutes and is taken outside again if she isn't napping. If she is taken outside and goes, continue play time, if she decided to take a nap, you can put her in her kennel, or just let her fall asleep out of her kennel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts