Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think that totally depends on what you want from a dog. One isn't better than another.

That said, there are certain breeds that I would only suggest going through a breeder for.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
you need to interview both venues extensively. Find the right (Individual) to work with. Both of those venues can be overwhelmed and understaffed for caring for the dogs. And being able to listen to what your looking for to insure you have a good match, and will provide support after you get your new pup/dog. There is no right and wrong direction there are just wrong Indiviuals to get involved with.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I will only go to breeders from now on.
out of curiosity, why?

Edit: all of my pet dogs and most of my fosters have been rescues. The guide dog (fosters) come from a very specific breeding program.

I work at the SPCA in our area and I think that rescue is an excellent option for a lot of situations and families. In the cases where it isnt (for one reason or another) I have no problem with seeking out a dog from a responsible breeder.

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
out of curiosity, why?

Edit: all of my pet dogs and most of my fosters have been rescues. The guide dog (fosters) come from a very specific breeding program.

I work at the SPCA in our area and I think that rescue is an excellent option for a lot of situations and families. In the cases where it isnt (for one reason or another) I have no problem with seeking out a dog from a responsible breeder.
I lead a very specific lifestyle and I need to make sure my dogs are going to fit in and work out... Both physically speaking and health wise. Dock diving, agility, flyball, frisbee and herding all need dogs of very sound physical frame. I got lucky with Frag, but he had a crappy temperament and can't do half of what I'd like... I have no idea how any puppy in a rescue is going to turn out as far as drives and temperament plus health, and I don't like adopting adult dogs because I've had nothing but trouble with the adult dogs I've adopted, the learning time is greater, they're harder to integrate, and there is less of a bond IMO.

Going to a breeder who is breeding for exactly what I want is my best choice and it's what I will be doing from now on. I've worked in numerous shelters, and I foster dogs constantly... I feel I've done my part with rescue and don't need to feel bad about breeding or buying.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I lead a very specific lifestyle and I need to make sure my dogs are going to fit in and work out... Both physically speaking and health wise. Dock diving, agility, flyball, frisbee and herding all need dogs of very sound physical frame. I got lucky with Frag, but he had a crappy temperament and can't do half of what I'd like... I have no idea how any puppy in a rescue is going to turn out as far as drives and temperament plus health, and I don't like adopting adult dogs because I've had nothing but trouble with the adult dogs I've adopted, the learning time is greater, they're harder to integrate, and there is less of a bond IMO.

Going to a breeder who is breeding for exactly what I want is my best choice and it's what I will be doing from now on. I've worked in numerous shelters, and I foster dogs constantly... I feel I've done my part with rescue and don't need to feel bad about breeding or buying.
Again, just curious. How many of your future "breeder" dogs would you expect to work out as planned, by going into it as a puppy? Just wondering as I consider puppies such a crapshoot if you have specific needs. The organization I work with has been breeding guide dogs for decades, refining their breeding program, and there are still dogs that don't make it for one reason or another. How much do you expect your "odds" to improve by going through a breeder (versus a rescued puppy subject to the same initial breed search/temperment test that a breeder pup would be), if that makes sense?

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
Again, just curious. How many of your future "breeder" dogs would you expect to work out as planned, by going into it as a puppy? Just wondering as I consider puppies such a crapshoot if you have specific needs. The organization I work with has been breeding guide dogs for decades, refining their breeding program, and there are still dogs that don't make it for one reason or another. How much do you expect your "odds" to improve by going through a breeder (versus a rescued puppy subject to the same initial breed search/temperment test that a breeder pup would be), if that makes sense?
Hopefully at least 75-80% would work out as planned or I should be finding a new breeder. XD

A puppy is a crapshoot entirely, but I'm not getting adult dogs, especially from a shelter. My experiences with adoptees and fosters has been terrible. If I needed to completely know what I was getting, I would buy adult from a breeder. I'd rather take my chances with a puppy though.

·
Banned
428 Posts
I have never bought from a breeder. My two cents in this is simple: I wouldn't be alive today if it was not for my mix dog that I got from a shelter.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
It depends on what you want. I have dogs from both breeders and rescues. If i want a puppy, then I will only go to a responsible breeder who does the necessary health testing. If i want an older dog, then it's a shelter or rescue. Due to a sort of bad experience with a shelter, we'll probably be dealing with reputable rescues. This Saturday, we are bringing home an older dog from rescue.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I'm with InkedMarie that I would only get a puppy from a responsible breeder, but I don't have a problem with getting an adult dog from a shelter/rescue.

I think puppies from the shelter are too big of a risk for me - I want a dog from a breeder with a more predictable health and temperament. Adult dogs already have a developed personality, so I would feel comfortable getting one from a shelter. I'd also prefer a rescue over a city shelter because they tend to know the dogs better and place them with the correct homes.

My current dog is from a breeder. I was looking for something specific, and I wanted a puppy.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I would not ever purchase an animal from a breeder. My animals are pets, they're not being trained for any specific purpose for which having a purebred dog would be beneficial.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Where ever you find a dog that suits your needs and wants. They both have their pros, and they both have their cons and its really a matter of what you're looking for (and in some cases, timing).

·
Registered
508 Posts
My current dog is a rescue. He was born into foster care.

My next dog will be a show prospect from a responsible breeder. Not because I'm at all unhappy with Garp, he's amazing. But I want a well-bred SBT and I would like to show the dog AND compete in OB.

After that? Who knows. We'll have to see how it goes!

·
Registered
17,913 Posts
For me: Breeders, private adoption, or strays. I won't/don't do shelters and rescues. The local shelters are cesspools of disease, and the dogs are so stressed out a reasonable assessment of the dogs is impossible (you are also not allowed to touch them or take them out of the kennels until the adoption paperwork is signed, for liability reason, adding to that). Rescues I have worked with, and while their heart is in the right place, for an assortment of reasons they are not a place I would choose to get a dog.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I've only had two dogs thus far. My first was over 20 years ago. She was a Shih Tzu and she came to me from a friend who'd bred her female, in what I now realize was basically BYB situation. She was raised with her mother & littermates until I took her home at 8 weeks & she was awesome.

I adopted Molly, my current dog, from a rescue group when she was 10 weeks old. The foster home did an absolutely beautiful job with the pups, raised them in the heart of the house with their mother, exposed them to normal household noises/activities & she is an absolute delight. I would definitely go the rescue route again with a puppy, either with the same group or another, provided their fostering philosophy is similar to the group Molly came from.

I'm not personally comfortable with paying a breeder because I'm don't have special needs, like showing, sports or working, to consider. I just want a pet to love & to give a good home to.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I've never adopted a dog from a shelter (but not for lack of trying.) I will, at some point, have a dog from a shelter, because I know at some point I will want another dog, just as a friend, and I would like to get one out of that situation.

However, I want my next PLANNED dog to be a Redbone. I live in the south and they're not hard to find breeder wise, but they are difficult to find in shelters. So, I will be going to a breeder, and likely out of state, to find a responsible one.

As for as breeder vs. shelter goes, I don't feel like there's a better way to go, as far as RESPONSIBLE breeders go. Now, if you're going to stick your money into the pockets of a BYB or someone similar, you may as well go to a shelter and rescue a dog than enable someone like that.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts