Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around online, since we won't get the puppy until June 8th. Which is perfect, you know? Gives me time to heal after Roxy's passing and gives me something to look forward to. But where do you guys purchase your dog supplies? I've been on dogsupplies.com all morning, their prices are really amazing. They have a bargain bin where everything is under $4 and a whole section for Made in USA things..Is there any other good ones? I've always been a fan of sitstay.com too.

Another question! I am going to want to put the pup on vitamins..like a multi-vitamin for dogs? Do they even make those? And if they do, what is the best kind? And do you give them to a puppy or do you wait until they're a little older? I think I am paranoid with this pup..she's not my first dog whatsoever, but I don't want to do anything wrong, as sometimes I feel as though I failed Roxy..even though it was out of my hands.

I'm also looking in to pet insurance...anyone have any thoughts?

I am excited for the new pup..but it's been so long since I've had a puppy....anyone have anymore recommendations for things I should be looking in to?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I usually go to the local feed store to get pet supplies (well...it was the feed store, their pet section was so popular that they actually gave it its own building). I'm not a huge fan of buying pet supplies online unless I've already had one of what I'm looking for. I just find it nice to lay hands on something before I buy it to see the quality....but that's largely because Caeda is a powerful chewer. I did have luck with two things though....a water dish (one of those ones that has the water pump in it) and a Goughnutz. Other than that I've been disappointed by online dog toys, but that's just me.
They do make dog vitamins, but I know nothing about them, so I can't really comment further on that.
Another thing to look into might be trainers and socialization opportunities. There aren't many trainers here and it took us about 6 months to find one, if we had thought to start looking sooner it might have helped. The final thing I would start doing is preparing your house!!! I tried to star puppy proofing the day I brought Caeda home....lol, definitely not enough preparation, we hadn't even gotten a crate!
Good luck! I'm sure tons of other people here will have better input.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Again ... I am so sorry for your loss .....

I go to Tractor Supply and on line I love www.2Houndsdesign.com for martingale collars and such ... great quality. Sometimes I go to Pet Supplies Plus for odds and ends if they have a sale.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
for online places I like Kvsupply.

if you want to give multi-vit. I would go with Vetri-science..I havent used their multi-vits but every products of theirs that I have used, I cannot reccomend highly enough.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I buy pet supplies in a combination of petsmart/petco and amazon.com. Occasionally I've used a few other sites but for most online orders I can find the same thing for the same price or less on amazon.com.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I buy most things I need at renspetdepot. but its canadian,pretty equivlant to petedge.com.

But Im a groomer, so am always ordeing supplies, and 99.9% of the time, dog toys/treats (and cat stuff) fall in to my online cart haha. But I love that place. but its a far drive for me (about a hour). So its easy to shop online

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well go online to Amazon with almost anything you need and if you become a prime member (75.00 yearly) it usually comes within 2 days and free shipping.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Well go online to Amazon with almost anything you need and if you become a prime member (75.00 yearly) it usually comes within 2 days and free shipping.
If you're a student with a valid student email address you can get amazon prime free for a while, then get it at $39/year. I've ordered a bunch of stuff from amazon when it's cheaper than the pet store.

·
Registered
801 Posts
If you're a student with a valid student email address you can get amazon prime free for a while, then get it at $39/year. I've ordered a bunch of stuff from amazon when it's cheaper than the pet store.
Thanks for that! All this time I could have had Prime and didn't even know it. Just got it now.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I buy Molly's toys and things locally. In terms of pet insurance: we have Healthy Paws insurance for Molly. It's $26/month with a $250 deductible & it pays back 90% of costs for illness/injury related tests & treatments, including medication. Wellness visits, tests & vaccinations are NOT included in the plan. I've been very happy with the ease of submitting claims & the rapidity with which Healthy Paws responds & gets the check in the mail.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I've been looking around online, since we won't get the puppy until June 8th. Which is perfect, you know? Gives me time to heal after Roxy's passing and gives me something to look forward to. But where do you guys purchase your dog supplies? I've been on dogsupplies.com all morning, their prices are really amazing. They have a bargain bin where everything is under $4 and a whole section for Made in USA things..Is there any other good ones? I've always been a fan of sitstay.com too.
I'm a fan of amazon. I order pet supplies there usually after I have seen it in person (it is almost always cheaper). With free two day shipping on most things and a lower price (most of the time) it is worth waiting the two days. I can rarely find anywhere that can beat Amazon's prices when you add the shipping in.

Another question! I am going to want to put the pup on vitamins..like a multi-vitamin for dogs? Do they even make those? And if they do, what is the best kind? And do you give them to a puppy or do you wait until they're a little older? I think I am paranoid with this pup..she's not my first dog whatsoever, but I don't want to do anything wrong, as sometimes I feel as though I failed Roxy..even though it was out of my hands.
I'm not a fan of vitamins without consulting my vet. With all the additives/natural vitamins (depending on brand) they can/do put in dog food, treats, extra snacks I don't believe your average dog needs any extra supplementation. Vitamins can be extremely dangerous when overdosed so I view the risk of giving them greater than the benefit to my otherwise healthy dogs.
I'm also looking in to pet insurance...anyone have any thoughts?

I am excited for the new pup..but it's been so long since I've had a puppy....anyone have anymore recommendations for things I should be looking in to?
I have looked into VPI (as they will cover exotics and few insurances do) however in the end with all the paper work, qualifications, limits per diagnosis, etc it seems equal to human insurance in headaches. I just set aside money in a savings account to pay for vet bills.

I'm excited about your new addition! Congrats - can't wait for pics!

Thanks for that! All this time I could have had Prime and didn't even know it. Just got it now.
Exactly what I did. They do limit to four years on the student price though :(

·
Registered
514 Posts
50/50 amazon and jefferspet. I save massive amounts by buying online and not in pet stores. It more than makes up for the occasional duds. I also spend a lot of time reading reviews before I buy stuff.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Also an Amazon user, my husband has the student prime membership. I do like to go to stores and look at stuff first and then check the price on amazon. For stores, I usually go to Pet Supplies Plus, Tractor Supply or our local stores. I check out Petsmart or Petco every now and then but usually don't end up buying from there.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I find cool things in the clearance bins at Petsmart. I've gotten lots of cute Martha Stewart squeaky toys and a nice travel bowl with lid at half off. I often find cute toys for under $3 in the bins so it doesn't matter if they get destroyed.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I go to PetsMart to buy Luke everything he needs. Normally they have everything I look for, I think they could improve on the toy department as it's the same old stuff, but other than that, that's where I go. As for online stores, I mainly go to one and that's Amazon.com. I would go with anything "new" though as you don't know what kind of condition it'll be in if you pick "used" as I found out. But I like the site, better than Ebay by far!

I didn't buy vitamins for Luke, our vet supplied them to us. When Luke reached a year, the vet said we could take him off of it and so we did. So I think it's important for puppies as they're growing, but when a dog is old enough I think you can wean them off of it. Our vet didn't seem concerned when we said we'd take him off of them.

I don't have pet insurance for Luke. I hear it's good to buy though; I may do it, I may not. Not really sure, but it's ultimately up to you. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I think pet insurance is better for those who don't have a decent amount in savings that can be used in the case of unexpected medical expenses. Like all insurance you are paying a monthly premium to cover the "just in case" situation that may never happen. If something happens it can be a huge savings for you, if nothing ever happens it feels like a waste of money.

Personally I have enough money in savings that I can afford to pay for any unexpected emergency and would do some without batting an eye to save my boy. The first year I had Jubel he cost me about $2800 in vet costs, $1300 of that from his bloat scare. After the bloat scare I looked into pet insurance and decided it wasn't worth it for me in the end. Since changing his food he's had a big reduction in the occurance of infections (his most common reason for vet visits that first year) and I'd guess his vet expenses for this year have been around $1000 (this includes heartworm and flea/tick preventatives). Most of his visits wouldn't have been covered by insurance from what I remember, well visits/vaccinations.

In the end it's really what works best for your financial situation.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I use Cherrybrook, petco/petsmart and Amazon but mostly Cherrybrook (cherrybrook.com). They're local for me (across the river in NJ not 15 minutes away). They carry my dog food and show/grooming supplies along with a TON of different toys, crate and probably a million things I'm missing. Though it's probably not the cheapest I could get there are a TON of knowledgeable people that work there and go out to the shows that I can talk to if I have questions and I can trust them to point me in the right direction.

They do make a multivitamin. My SO's parents bought them for Bella. They're just chewable tablets that you give once (or twice or more depending on dogs weight) a day. They give us Naturvet multivitamin.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I do like to go to stores and look at stuff first and then check the price on amazon. For stores, I usually go to Pet Supplies Plus, Tractor Supply or our local stores. I check out Petsmart or Petco every now and then but usually don't end up buying from there.
I do this too. I go to petsmart, petco, and the local pet store to browse and figure out what I want to buy, and in what size. Then I go online to buy it and save a ton of money. It really adds up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts