Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry but I got a stupid question here.

Blues breath stinks and I'd like to get him a oral cleaning. Is that like a groomer thing or does the vet do it?

I took him to the vet the other day to get him a booster shot and they have a groomer there too so I got him shaved down (He looks a lot different now btw) but forgot to ask about the mouth cleaning thing so when I called back they said they don't do that there.

Should I call a groomer or a vet?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Usually a vet does a cleaning while the dog is under a general anesthesia or sedation. Have you checked Blue's teeth yourself to see how bad they are? If there is very little plaque on them you may be able to just find some really good marrow bones for him to chew. Bone chewing is a good way to keep tarter at bay in dogs. If there is a lot of build up on them, I would have the vet clean them as infections from the dog's teeth can migrate to other areas in the dog and cause serious health issues.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually a vet does a cleaning while the dog is under a general anesthesia or sedation. Have you checked Blue's teeth yourself to see how bad they are? If there is very little plaque on them you may be able to just find some really good marrow bones for him to chew. Bone chewing is a good way to keep tarter at bay in dogs. If there is a lot of build up on them, I would have the vet clean them as infections from the dog's teeth can migrate to other areas in the dog and cause serious health issues.
He's got a little plaque on there not much but he chews all the time so I think it is beyond the marrow. I tried brushing and mouth wash but it only worked for a day or so. I just want a good clean then I'll start using that stuff you put in their water but it got this bad all of a sudden so I should probably have a vet look at it either way.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Some groomers will do a quick scraping of the teeth, but for a full cleaning they have to be under anesthesia, so a vet has to do it. If he's over a certain age, they'll want to do bloodwork first to make sure he'll be OK with the anesthetic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts